Line Integral and Vector Field Problem

In summary, the problem asks for the work done by the force field F(x,y) = x sin(y)i + yj on a particle moving along the parabola y = x^2 from (-1,1) to (2,4). The work can be found by using the line integral of the dot product of the field vector and the change in the path, which is given by the parabola equation. In order to find the path vector, we can use the position vector \vec{r}(x)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}= x\vec{i}+ x^2\vec{j} and the differential of the position vector d\vec{r}= (\vec{i}
zm500

Homework Statement

Find the work done by the force field F(x,y) = x sin(y)i + yj on a particle that moves along on the parabola y = x^2 from (-1,1) to (2,4).

Homework Equations

Work = line integral of the dot product of Field vector and change in the path
The path is parabola equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate with respect to x and y instead of t, because I don't know how to find the path vector r(t).
So, i got two integrals for X-direction and y - direction.
Then, I can just use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total work.

Srry, I didn't write any mathematical equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "path vector" is always a position vector:
[tex]\vec{r}(x)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}= x\vec{i}+ x^2\vec{j}[/tex]
so that
[tex]d\vec{r}= (\vec{i}+ 2x\vec{j})dx[/tex]

If the force field is not conservative, the work done to move along two legs of a right triangle might have nothing to do with the work required to move along the hypotenuse. I don't believe that using the "Pythagorean Theorem" will work here.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The "path vector" is always a position vector:
[tex]\vec{r}(x)= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}= x\vec{i}+ x^2\vec{j}[/tex]
so that
[tex]d\vec{r}= (\vec{i}+ 2x\vec{j})dx[/tex]

If the force field is not conservative, the work done to move along two legs of a right triangle might have nothing to do with the work required to move along the hypotenuse. I don't believe that using the "Pythagorean Theorem" will work here.

Thanks!

Related to Line Integral and Vector Field Problem

1. What is a line integral and how is it calculated?

A line integral is a type of integral that calculates the area under a curve in a vector field. It is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments and multiplying the length of each segment by the corresponding value of the vector field at that point. The sum of these values gives the line integral.

2. How is a vector field defined and what are its properties?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. It is defined by both magnitude and direction at each point. Some properties of vector fields include linearity, divergence, and curl.

3. What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

Line integrals are used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a given path. They are also used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface, which has applications in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.

4. How do you determine if a vector field is conservative?

A vector field is considered conservative if its line integral is independent of the path taken. This means that the work done by the field does not depend on the path between two points, only on the endpoints. This can be determined by checking if the field satisfies the criteria for being a gradient field.

5. What are some real-life applications of line integrals and vector fields?

Line integrals and vector fields have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include calculating the electric potential and electric field around a charged object, determining the fluid flow in a river or air around an airplane, and analyzing the flow of heat in a system.