Lighting water on fire? I don't think so.

In summary, the conversation discusses a viral video claiming to show water being lit on fire. The participants in the conversation disprove the claim, suggesting that the water was actually replaced with a flammable substance like white gas or lighter fluid. They also criticize the poor quality of the video and suggest that it is a trick. However, one person mentions their personal experience with lighting water on fire due to the presence of natural gas.
Cowtipper
Whilst perusing the Tube, I found this:

What do you think? Did he actually light water on fire?

I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He probably replaced the water with white gas, like that used in the old camping lanterns and stoves, or more likely, lighter fluid for a BBQ.

The claim is nonsense.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
He probably replaced the water with white gas, like that used in the old camping lanterns and stoves, or more likely, lighter fluid for a BBQ.

The claim is nonsense.

No need. He added pan searing flour, which is a really fine powder flour, just before lighting it. The flour probably sat on top, and as a fine powder, is probably what burned.

And will someone tell that guy that water doesn't "boil" at 195 F! And right after that, give him a lesson on videography that explains that aiming the camera at the floor while walking around is pretty HORRIBLE to watch! (I fast forwarded...it was too painful to watch real time.)

These are too painful to watch and a waste of time. It's a trick.

Member HH/SA CRGreathouse sent some related thoughts in a PM. If anyone wishes to discuss this in detail, please start a thread in the physics or chemistry forum and let me know. I'll post a link.

I saw that the thread was closed, so I figured I'd send this to you.

Regardless of what the video shows (can't see videos on this computer), I will say that it *is* possible, in some sense, to light water on fire.

When I was hiking in New Mexico there was a place where there was enough natural gas in the area (or so I was told) that water in a canteen could be shaken and lit. I can't say it was because of natural gas (though that sounds reasonable), but my fellow hikers and I were able to test this directly. We were able to light the water (actually vapors formerly dissolved in the water) and watch it burn for about 3-6 seconds with a dull blue flame. Not only did I witness our group doing this several times (new water each time; once lit it wouldn't light again) but we were able to videotape it one of the times.

I just thought this was relevant enough to mention...

Related to Lighting water on fire? I don't think so.

What is "lighting water on fire"?

"Lighting water on fire" refers to the phenomenon of creating a visible flame on the surface of water. This is not possible with pure water, but can occur when certain substances are added to the water.

Can water really be set on fire?

No, pure water cannot be set on fire. Water is a compound made of hydrogen and oxygen, which do not support combustion. However, certain substances can react with water to produce a visible flame on the surface.

What substances can cause water to ignite?

Substances that can cause water to ignite include alkali metals (such as sodium and potassium), which react violently with water to produce hydrogen gas that can then be ignited.

Is lighting water on fire dangerous?

Yes, lighting water on fire can be extremely dangerous. The reaction between certain substances and water can release explosive gases, which can cause serious injury or damage.

Why do people try to light water on fire?

Lighting water on fire is often used as a demonstration in chemistry classes to show the reactivity of certain substances. It can also be used in scientific research to study the properties of different materials and their reactions with water.