Life Goals You Aren't Willing To Work For

In summary, goals are something that you are trying to do or achieve, while goals you are not working towards are something you want to achieve in the future.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As the title says.

I think as a young person, it's hard to acknowledge you have these. Time seems infinite, surely there will come a day when you will achieve that illusive goal! Someday!

But I'm 50 now so I realize I have a few:

Run a marathon.
See the green flash.
Walk the Pacific Crest Trail.

I'm sure I have a lot more but I can't think of them now.

What are yours?

Physics news on Phys.org
finish my PhD
... wait nvm. :blushing:

Oh god, I have so many goals that I'm not willing to work for it's ridiculous. I want to learn a bunch of different languages, but I never put in the time. I want to have a fitness model's body, but I never work out. I want to be able to fight really well, but I never train. I want to learn how to cook many different dishes really well, but I just cook the same stuff over and over in a mediocre fashion. I want to be an actor, but I never audition. The list goes on.

Too little time to worry about theory, I just do and it's working so far.

Make my own empire. Too lazy though.

I think there's a semantic problem with the thread's title.

Goal:

"something that you are trying to do or achieve"
-Merriam-Websters

"The purpose toward which an endeavor is directed; an objective."
-American Heritage

In other words, it's not really proper to refer to a thing as a "goal" unless, and until, you are working toward it.

lisab said:
As the title says.

Run a marathon.
I don't run. If you see me running, there is something chasing me. You should run too.
See the green flash.
I had to google it last week when you posted this. I saw jpegs of the green flash. Check!
Walk the Pacific Crest Trail.
When are they going to pave that, so I can drive it?

I'm sure I have a lot more but I can't think of them now.

What are yours?

... ^v

I think as a young person, it's hard to acknowledge you have these. Time seems infinite, surely there will come a day when you will achieve that illusive goal! Someday!

But I'm 50 now so I realize I have a few:

I'm 4.7 years ahead of you, and took a completely different life path. (I love the "Meet a Mentor" series. Glasnost dobry.)

Goals:

1. Survive another 138 days
2. Refinance (It costs $10,000 to properly file a patent)
3. Write the patent
4. License the idea to the USPS, and collect my $50,000,000
5. Slowly develop a multinational corporation over 10 years into a $1,000,000,000,000 business.
6. Sell out
7. Buy you, and all my friends, mega-yachts
8. Meet you all in Bora Bora
9. Die, with a smile on my face

That is all.

I tell myself over and over again I will learn Calculus and physics because I enjoy reading about physics but I never actually put in the effort and learn the math behind any of it. It's just as a hobby but I will eventually dedicate some years to learning it all... Not just a month here and there.

I've had as a long term goal for a while to visit Japan, following me learning japanese. I finally started on it last year and have learned maybe ~800 words, but now I'm a bit stuck on the Kanji. Oh well, I'm only 34 so I have plenty of time left for completing the goal.

I'm a little confused by the thread title... these are goals I'm NOT willing to work for? Well, here are two lists, I guess:

Goals I AM working towards:
  1. Hike all of NH's 4000 footers
  2. Become a millionaire
  3. Become a "master" woodworker (love it, not great at it)
  4. Work for SpaceX
  5. Be an American Express Centurion card holder

Goals I have that totally aren't worth the effort:
  1. Visit every nation in the world
  2. Skydive

If I had infinite time, I would want to achieve proficiency in everything

stardust said:
If I had infinite time, I would want to achieve proficiency in everything

Bam!

Hence lisab's somewhat confusing title.

:smile:

Right now, it's learning how to play the piano. I'm just too busy for now until may :cry:

Learn the violin.
Write a few stories which have been developing in some form or the other ever since I can remember.
Die by a sniper's head-shot while fishing.
Kill that sniper.

Free solo the "The Nose" of El Cap.

123512_20087_L.jpg

http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Yosemite-Valley-El-Capitan-The-Nose

Avg time to climb route: 5 days
Approach time: 10 minutes
Descent time: 4 hours
Number of pitches: 31
Height of route: 2900'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCAy1v1fnI

Last edited:

Related to Life Goals You Aren't Willing To Work For

What are some common life goals that people aren't willing to work for?

Some common life goals that people aren't willing to work for include achieving financial stability, maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle, developing strong relationships, and pursuing meaningful careers.

Why do people tend to set life goals that they aren't willing to work for?

People often set these types of life goals because they are influenced by societal expectations or the desire for instant gratification. They may also have a fear of failure or lack the motivation and discipline to put in the necessary effort.

What are the consequences of setting life goals that you aren't willing to work for?

Setting life goals that you aren't willing to work for can lead to feelings of disappointment, frustration, and a sense of unfulfillment. It can also hinder personal growth and prevent individuals from reaching their full potential.

How can someone overcome the mindset of not being willing to work for their life goals?

To overcome this mindset, individuals can start by setting realistic and achievable goals. They should also focus on the long-term benefits rather than immediate rewards. It's also important to develop a strong work ethic and seek support from others to stay motivated and accountable.

What are some tips for successfully achieving life goals that require hard work?

Some tips for successfully achieving life goals that require hard work include breaking the goal into smaller, manageable tasks, staying focused and disciplined, seeking guidance and support from mentors or coaches, and celebrating small victories along the way. It's also important to have a growth mindset and be willing to learn and adapt as needed.