Lie algebra structure constants

In summary, the speaker has five generators of a lie algebra, which they believe to be independent but are not entirely sure. They have calculated the structure constants and used them to create a matrix representation. However, they have found that one of the transformations is equal to the negative of another, which they do not understand. They also mention that they have realized that the sum of three of the transformations is equal to zero, which they do not believe to be true. The dimension of the lie algebra depends on the chosen representation, with the adjoint representation being 3 dimensional in this case.
bartadam
I have five generators of a lie algebra, [tex]g_1,g_2,g_3,g_4,g_5[/tex] which at first glance I believe are independent, although I could be wrong.

I have calculated the structure constants, i.e.

[tex]\left[g_i,g_j\right]=f_{ij}^k g_k[/tex]

And from that I have calculated a matrix rep using [tex]\left(T_i\right)_j^k=f_{ij}^k[/tex]

I get [tex]T_1, T_2, T_3, T_4[/tex] all linearly independent.

However I get [tex]T_4=-T_5[/tex] which I do not understand. Does this mean there algebra is only 4D rather than 5D?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again, I could really use some help on this please.

I have also realized T1+T2+T3=0.

I do not understand. Does this mean g1+g2+g3=0. I do not believe this at all.

The dimension of a lie algebra depends on the representation you choose for it.
Recall that a representation is a map [tex]d:L(G)\to M(V)[/tex], where [tex]L(G)[/tex] is the lie algebra of some lie group [tex]G[/tex] and [tex]M(V)[/tex] is the space of linear transformations [tex]V\to V[/tex] ([tex]V=\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{C}[/tex]).

So, for example, you could have what is called the trivial representation where [tex]d(g)=0[/tex] for all [tex]g\in L(G)[/tex], which is one dimensional, even though your algebra could has more than one element.

Another example is the fundamental representation, where [tex]d(g)=g[/tex] for all [tex]g\in L(G)[/tex]. Here the dimension of the lie algebra is equal to the number of elements in the algebra (called the rank of the algebra).

In the example that you state, where the matrix representation equals the structure constants, is called the adjoint representation. I would guess, from the information that you give, that that representation is 3 dimensional, as you have 2 constraints over 5 five "variables".

Related to Lie algebra structure constants

What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure used to study the properties of continuous symmetry groups. It consists of a vector space over a field of scalars, along with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket that satisfies certain properties.

What are structure constants in a Lie algebra?

Structure constants are the coefficients that appear when expressing the Lie bracket operation in terms of a basis for the vector space. They describe the algebraic structure of the Lie algebra and are used to calculate the Lie bracket of any two elements in the algebra.

How are structure constants related to the commutator bracket?

The commutator bracket is a special case of the Lie bracket in which the scalar field is the real numbers. In this case, the structure constants are the coefficients that appear in the commutator relationship between two elements. They also determine the algebraic structure of the Lie algebra in this case.

Can structure constants be used to classify Lie algebras?

Yes, structure constants play a crucial role in the classification of Lie algebras. They provide a way to distinguish between different types of Lie algebras and to determine their algebraic properties.

How are structure constants related to the structure constants of the corresponding Lie group?

There is a close relationship between the structure constants of a Lie algebra and the structure constants of the corresponding Lie group. In fact, the structure constants of the Lie algebra can be used to construct the Lie group, and vice versa.