The adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra is completely reducible

In summary, the physicist's proof shows that the adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra is reducible. The argument used is that structure constants of the form {f_{ir}}^{s} are zero, and this is due to the fact that the Killing form is nondegenerate in the invariant subspace S. Finally, the physicist concludes that [X,Y]=0, since it is equivalent to the fact that S\cap S^{\perp}=\varnothing.
maverick280857
Hi,

I am trying to work through a proof/argument to show that the adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra is completely reducible.

Suppose S denotes an invariant subspace of the Lie algebra, and we pick [itex]Y_i[/itex] in the invariant subspace S. The rest of the generators [itex]X_r[/itex] are such that the natural inner product is [itex](X_r, Y_i) = 0[/itex]. This can be done by some suitable Gram Schmidt orthogonalization if necessary.

To begin with, I argue that the killing metric in this basis is block diagonal. If i denotes an index on Y and r denotes an index on X, then [itex]g_{ir} = 0[/itex] as the Killing form is the natural inner product or its negative depending on whether Y is chosen to be symmetric or antisymmetric. This is OK.

But the following argument is unclear to me

Since S is an invariant subspace, structure constants of the form [itex]{f_{ir}}^{s}[/itex] are zero.

Is it reasonable to expect [X, Y] to be in S as well as its complement? The only way then that this would be possible is if [X, Y] = 0.

The other argument (specious to me) is that Y and X live in different spaces so they must commute. This seems physically reasonable, but I don't see how to argue this mathematically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I should point out, I am learning this from the standpoint of a theoretical physicist, so please feel free to point out mistakes/improvements in the reasoning (or holes in my understanding) from a purely mathematical perspective.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hey Greg. I can't think of anything new, but I've kept it on my pending/to-do list. The argument used in the "physicist's proof" I had access to is already listed in my post. I don't have any more information.

You have written [itex] \mathfrak{g}=S\oplus S^{\perp} [/itex] as vector spaces where we take the orthogonal complement with respect to the killing form. If we know that [itex] S^{\perp} [/itex] is an ideal, then we will have [itex] [S,S^\perp] \subseteq S\cap S^{\perp} [/itex] since in this case [itex] S [/itex] and [itex] S^\perp [/itex] are both ideals.

To show [itex] S^{\perp} [/itex] is an ideal, let [itex] x\in S^\perp, g\in \mathfrak{g} [/itex]. Then for any [itex] s\in S [/itex], we know the Killing form is invariant so
[tex] \kappa( s, [g,x])=\kappa([s,g],x)\in \kappa(S,x)=0. [/tex]
where I used the fact that [itex] S [/itex] is an ideal in the second last step and the fact that [itex] x\in S^{\perp} [/itex] in the last step. Hence [itex] [g,x]\in S^\perp [/itex] for any [itex] g\in \mathfrak{g} [/itex] so [itex] S^{\perp} [/itex] is an ideal.

Finally, you may now conclude that [itex] [X,Y]=0 [/itex] since it is equivalent to the fact that [itex] S\cap S^{\perp}=\varnothing[/itex] which follows using the nondegeneracy of the Killing form when restricted to S (which follows from the fact that [itex] \mathfrak{g} [/itex] is semisimple) as you mentioned.

Last edited:
Likes maverick280857
Thank you Terandol!

Related to The adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra is completely reducible

1. What is the adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra?

The adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra is a linear representation of the algebra on its own vector space, where the elements of the algebra act as linear transformations.

2. What does it mean for the adjoint representation to be completely reducible?

A completely reducible representation is one that can be decomposed into a direct sum of irreducible representations. In the case of the adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra, this means that it can be broken down into a direct sum of smaller, simpler representations.

3. Why is it important for the adjoint representation to be completely reducible?

This property of the adjoint representation is important because it allows us to analyze the structure of the semisimple Lie algebra and its representations in a simpler and more manageable way. It also allows us to make connections between different Lie algebras and their representations.

4. How do we prove that the adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra is completely reducible?

The proof of the complete reducibility of the adjoint representation of a semisimple Lie algebra involves the use of the Cartan subalgebra and the root space decomposition. By showing that the adjoint representation can be decomposed into a direct sum of irreducible representations, we can conclude that it is completely reducible.

5. What are the applications of the adjoint representation being completely reducible?

The complete reducibility of the adjoint representation has important applications in representation theory, Lie theory, and physics. It allows us to classify semisimple Lie algebras and their representations, and to understand their underlying structures and symmetries. This has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and differential geometry.