Letters of Recommendation - Strictly Academic?

In summary, the conversation is about getting letters of recommendation for graduate school and specifically, whether it is appropriate to request one from a senior scientist in a non-academic setting. The person is wondering if the emphasis on academic recommendations is to exclude recommendations from bosses in non-physics fields and is seeking advice on the matter. They mention that the potential recommender is a former professor with experience in industry, which leads to the question of whether or not their experience in a work setting would be relevant for the recommendation.
ThereIam
Hi all,

I got a BA in Physics, and am almost a year out of school. I have noticed whilst perusing graduate school websites that most emphasize that they want letters of recommendation from academic settings.

I landed an internship in R&D after school, and I was wondering how inappropriate it would be to request a letter from a senior scientist that I work with.

I was sort of hoping that the emphasis on "academic" recommendations would be to weed out people's bosses at totally non-physics type work.

What do you think/what have you experienced?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on whether or not this prospective recommender has ever done this before - they are looking for certain things in these letters.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. The person in question is a former professor (though he has spent most of his time in industry, I believe) so I would not be surprised if he has written them before. I was more concerned that his experience with me a work setting wouldn't be what they were interested in, but perhaps that concern is ill-founded?

Related to Letters of Recommendation - Strictly Academic?

What are letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation are written statements from individuals who can attest to an individual's academic abilities, qualities, and achievements. They are typically requested for academic purposes, such as college or graduate school applications.

Who typically writes letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation are usually written by professors, instructors, or academic advisors who have had the opportunity to observe and evaluate a student's academic performance and potential.

What information should be included in a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should include specific examples and details about the student's academic achievements, personal qualities, and potential for success in an academic setting. It should also include the writer's credentials and relationship to the student.

Can letters of recommendation be used for non-academic purposes?

While letters of recommendation are typically used for academic purposes, they can also be used for other purposes such as job applications or scholarship applications. However, the content of the letter may need to be adjusted to fit the specific purpose.

How many letters of recommendation should be included in an application?

The number of letters of recommendation required may vary depending on the institution or program. It is important to follow the specific guidelines provided by the institution. Typically, 2-3 letters of recommendation are sufficient for academic applications.