Lens Experiment: Understanding b Values

In summary, a lens has a focal length and a surface at a distance from the lens where the light will hit and project an image. You can measure the distance between the lens and the surface and call it p. You can also measure the distance between the light source and the lens and call it s. You can do this for ten different distances and find a line on a graph with a y-intercept of -.764 and b = .0883. Later on in the laboratory manual, you are asked to find the meaning of b. You find that b is a quality of the lens and has a relation with the focal length.
Link-
I need a little help with a laboratory class I had about lens.

Experiment:
We had a light source with a draw of an arrow on it, this light go through a lens of +100 mm (focal length) and a surface on the other side of the lens were we can see the arrow on it.
We put the light source at 50cm from the lens (distance s) and we place the surface at a distance were the image looked good, and measure the distance from the lens and the screen and called p. Then we moved the light source 5 cm closer to the lens and adjust the screen again.

We do this for about 10 times then we made a graphic 1/p VS 1/s and found a line on the graphic with m=-0.764 and b=0.0883.

Later on, in the laboratory manual is asking for the meaning of b (the y-intercept).

My question is: What is b? I actually read the physics book and I didn't found anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the lens maker equation?

I done it already

My equation would be 1/p=m * 1/s + b
Lens maker equation is 1/f = (n-1) (1/r-1/R)

I suppose that 1/s is (1/r-1/R) and that m is (n-1) but b ...

Lets see if this is right

(n-1) * (1/r-1/R) = m*1/s + b

Ok since I got a negative m in a converging lens I can suppose that
(m* 1/s) = -1*(1/r-1/R)

and that

n*(1/r-1/R)= b

But b is a quality of the lens, Does have a relation with the focal length?

PS. Sorry if I'm giving you hard time with my english, I'm trying,I'm trying...

Supposing that 1/s is 1/r and 1/p is 1/R gives a different interpretation.

In this case b = 1/(f*(n-1)), which has the correct dimension L^-1

I found the equation that describe the object and image distance with the focal length on the physics book, it was simple.

I think I got a lot of error on the data because I was supposed to had m=-1 then I would get:

1/p = -1/s + b ;b=1/f

then getting the equation 1/f=1/p+1/s

Thanks for the help

Good show. I was worried by the sign of your slope. Maybe you should make one of the distances negative ?

Related to Lens Experiment: Understanding b Values

1. What is the purpose of the lens experiment?

The purpose of the lens experiment is to understand the concept of b values, which represent the distance between the object and the lens, and how they affect the formation of images.

2. How is the lens experiment conducted?

The lens experiment involves setting up a light source, a lens, and a screen to capture the images formed by the lens. The distance between the object and the lens is varied, and the resulting images are observed and recorded.

3. What are b values and why are they important?

B values are the distances between the object and the lens, and they play a crucial role in determining the size and position of the images formed by the lens. Understanding b values helps in predicting the characteristics of images formed by different lenses.

4. What are the factors that affect b values?

The two main factors that affect b values are the distance between the object and the lens and the focal length of the lens. The size of the lens and the size of the object can also impact b values.

5. What can we learn from the results of the lens experiment?

The results of the lens experiment help us understand the relationship between b values and the formation of images. It also helps us understand how different lenses and distances between objects and lenses can affect the size and position of images.