Left endpoint approximation & Riemann Sums (Sigma)

Use those to evaluate \sum_{i=0}^n 24i^2/n^2- 4/n exactly (in terms of n) and then take the limit as n goes to infinity.In summary, we are asked to find the nth left endpoint approximation Ln for the function f(x) = 3x^2-2 on the interval [0,2] and evaluate the limit as n approaches infinity. To do this, we divide the interval into n parts and use the left endpoint of each interval to evaluate the function. This gives us the Riemann sum, which we can then simplify using formulas for the sum of integers and squares of integers. Finally, we take the limit as n goes to
asz304
1. The problem statement, all variables and givennown data
1)FInd the nth left endpoint approximation Ln for f(x) = 3x^2-2 on [0,2]. What is the limit as n approaches infinity Ln in this case?

2)Evaluate:
[tex]\sum[/tex]45i=5 (2i-5)

Homework Equations

Ln = [tex]\sum[/tex]Nj=1
f(cj)(xj-xj-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

1)Not sure where to start. Should I start by substituting 0 and 2 in the function and subtract both of them and get the limit as n approaches infinity?

2)2[tex]\sum[/tex]45i=5 - [tex]\sum[/tex]45i=5

= [ 2(2+1) ]/2 - 225

= -222

I'm not sure with my answer because it says [tex]\sum[/tex]i=1n
and in my question i = 5.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Get the limit of what "as n approaches infinity"? Just "substituting 0 and 2" doesn't have any thing to do with an "n".

Divide the interval from 0 to 2 into n parts. Then each interval will have length 2/n and will have endpoint 0, 2/n, 4/n, 6/n, ..., i(2/n), ..., n(2/n)= 2. The "left endpoint" of each interval would be 0, 2/n, 4/n, 6/n, ... (n-1)(2/n). That is 0 is the "left endpoint" of the first interval- every point after that is the right endpoint of one interval but the left endpoint of the next, except that the last endpoint, n(2/n) is only a right endpoint. The function, evaluated at those left endpoints would be f(0)= -2, [itex]f(2/n)=3(2/n)^2-2= 12/n^2- 2[/itex], [itex]f(4/n)= 3(4/n)^2- 2= 48/n^2- 2[/itex], with the general rule being f(i(2/n))= 3(2i/n)^2- 2= 12i^2/n- 2. The area of the slender rectangle on the ith interval up to that height is "height times width"= [itex]\left(12i^2/n - 2\right)\left(2/n\right)= 24i^2/n^2- 4/n[/itex] The Riemann sum would be
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n 24i^2/n^2- 4/n[/tex]
Find the sum of that (it will depend on n) and take the limit as n goes to infinity.

For example,
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n -4/n= n\left(-4/n\right)[/tex]
since a constant, added to itself n times, is just n times that constant.
By this time you should have learned formulas for [itex]\sum i[/itex] and [itex]\sum i^2[/itex].

Related to Left endpoint approximation & Riemann Sums (Sigma)

1. What is a left endpoint approximation in Riemann sums?

A left endpoint approximation is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and using the left endpoint of each rectangle as the height. This method is used in Riemann sums to estimate the area under a curve.

2. How is the left endpoint approximation calculated in Riemann sums?

In Riemann sums, the left endpoint approximation is calculated by first dividing the interval of the curve into smaller subintervals. Then, the left endpoint of each subinterval is used as the height of a rectangle. The sum of all these rectangles gives an estimate of the area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between a left endpoint approximation and a right endpoint approximation?

The main difference between a left endpoint approximation and a right endpoint approximation is the point used to determine the height of each rectangle. In a left endpoint approximation, the left endpoint of each subinterval is used, while in a right endpoint approximation, the right endpoint is used.

4. What is the significance of Riemann sums in calculus?

Riemann sums are an important concept in calculus because they provide a way to approximate the area under a curve, which is essential in many real-life applications. They are also used to define the definite integral, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.

5. Can Riemann sums be used to find the exact area under a curve?

No, Riemann sums can only provide an approximation of the area under a curve. The more rectangles used in the approximation, the closer the estimate will be to the actual area, but it will never be exact. To find the exact area under a curve, we use the definite integral.