Learning Statistical Physics for Beginners with Maths Background

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in statistical physics and the search for a suitable resource to learn about it. The individual has a background in mathematics and is specifically interested in learning about stochastic dynamics. Suggestions for introductory statistical physics texts are mentioned, with the book "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Friedrick Reif being recommended. The individual also shares their negative experience with a different book they used for an undergraduate course in statistical mechanics. They mention the confusing presentation and use of various variables, and express relief at not having to use it for their next course.
Cincinnatus
I've recently gotten interested in statistical physics. Notions derived from this area are frequently applied in learning theory and other areas of biology which are of interest to me.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good book or web resource for learning about statistical physics that would be appropriate for someone with my background.

I have almost no physics background at all. The only physics class that I ever took was a high school AP physics -mechanics class years ago.

My undergraduate degree was in mathematics and recently I've been putting a lot of time into studying stochastic dynamics (Ito calculus, stochastic PDEs etc).

Does anyone know of a book on statistical physics that I could learn from? I tend to have trouble reading physics books due to the extensive use of physics jargon with which I am unfamiliar.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many good introductory statistical physics texts. The book by Friedrick Reif, Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, serves as a pretty good introduction.

Also: Introduction to medern statistical mechanics, Chandler

Do NOT get this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1568811969/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This is the one I used for undegrad statistical mechanics. The course was very interesting but the book sucked. The questions were pretty vague or just confusing and the material was presented the same way. You'd see huge jumps in derivation or variables used that weren't explained until later.

The worst part is that he would use the letter "n" in various fonts and stuff for about 50 variables. I'm not even joking. It got so confusing to just try and figure out what his variables mean...

Wow, I just found out I get a different teacher and hence not that book for stat mech next semester.

Looks like I may have lucked out.

Related to Learning Statistical Physics for Beginners with Maths Background

1. What is statistical physics and why is it important?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of systems with a large number of particles. It uses statistical methods to describe and predict the properties of these systems, such as temperature, pressure, and entropy. It is important because it allows us to understand and make predictions about complex systems, from the behavior of gases to the structure of materials.

2. Do I need a strong math background to learn statistical physics?

Yes, a strong math background is essential for learning statistical physics. It involves complex mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and probability theory. A good understanding of linear algebra and multivariable calculus is also necessary. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can develop the necessary math skills to learn statistical physics.

3. What are some key concepts in statistical physics?

Some key concepts in statistical physics include entropy, thermodynamics, equilibrium, and the Boltzmann distribution. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, while thermodynamics deals with the relationships between energy, heat, and work. Equilibrium refers to a state where there is no net change in a system, and the Boltzmann distribution describes the probability distribution of particles in a system.

4. How can I apply statistical physics to real-world problems?

Statistical physics has many practical applications, including in fields such as materials science, biology, and economics. It can be used to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as the spread of diseases, the behavior of financial markets, and the properties of materials under different conditions. By applying statistical physics, we can make informed decisions and solve real-world problems.

5. What are some resources for learning statistical physics?

There are many resources available for learning statistical physics, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes. Some popular textbooks include "Statistical Physics" by F. Mandl and "Statistical Mechanics: Entropy, Order Parameters, and Complexity" by J. Sethna. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer free courses on statistical physics. Additionally, many universities offer courses on statistical physics, and attending lectures and discussions can be a valuable learning experience.