Learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics

In summary, it is not a bad idea to learn statistics/machine learning before attempting to learn the computational/mathematical aspects of statistical mechanics. However, this should only be done after learning basic physics.
ANewPope23
Hello, this is my first question on PhysicsForum. I am primarily interested in statistics/machine learning. I have recently discovered that many of the ideas used in machine learning came from statistical physics/ statistical mechanics.

I am just wondering if it's a bad idea to attempt to learn the computational/mathematical aspects of statistical mechanics with zero physics background? Maybe it's easier to learn some physics before attempting this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I associate machine learning with neural networks, pattern recognition, etc. Can you be more specific about how machine learning is related to statistical physics/ statistical mechanics?

Here are some examples:

"According to Watkin et al. (1993), statistical physics tools are not only well suited to analyze existing learning algorithms but also they may suggest new approaches. In the paradigm of learning from examples (the paradigm considered in this book), examples are drawn from some unknown but fixed probability distribution and, once chosen, constitute a static quenched disorder (Watkin et al., 1993)."

"Statistical Physics and Representations in Real and Artificial Neural Networks" https://arxiv.org/abs/1709.02470

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1706.09779.pdf Ising Models and Spin Glass Models are used in machine learning.

Likes FactChecker
I can't tell if these are applications of statistical mechanics in the field of neural networks or the reverse -- applications of deep neural networks in the field of statistical mechanics. It looks more like the latter to me, which I could imagine and Google shows several articles along those lines.

If it is true that they are applications of deep neural networks in the field of statistical mechanics, then you may be making a mistake in trying study statistical mechanics to help you understand machine learning.

No one can learn statistical mechanics without a proper physics background. Besides, the amount of machine learning in a typical statistical mechanics introductory course is close to zero.
If you are interested in machine learning, you should learn machine learning.

Isn't the non-physics part of statistical mechanics just... statistics?

Likes vanhees71
boneh3ad said:
Isn't the non-physics part of statistical mechanics just... statistics?

If you find a text where it is, I'd like to know about it. Random variables "sample spaces" (or "probability spaces"), estimators, probability models - all familiar things when problems are presented in the context of statistics don't appear in the expositions of statistical physics that I've seen. There is traditional terminology in statistical physics that predates (and overcomes) the terminology of modern probability theory and statistics.

Related to Learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics

1. What is the purpose of learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics?

The non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics focuses on the mathematical and computational aspects of understanding complex systems. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems with large numbers of interacting particles, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

2. What are the key concepts involved in learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics?

The key concepts involved in learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics include probability, entropy, phase transitions, and thermodynamics. It also involves understanding mathematical tools such as differential equations, matrix algebra, and statistical methods.

3. How does learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics benefit other fields of study?

Learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics provides a powerful set of tools for analyzing and understanding complex systems, which can be applied to a wide range of fields including biology, chemistry, economics, and engineering. It allows for the prediction and control of behavior in these systems, leading to advancements in various industries and technologies.

4. What are some challenges in learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics?

Some challenges in learning the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics include understanding and applying advanced mathematical concepts, dealing with large amounts of data, and interpreting complex results. It also requires a strong understanding of physics and the ability to think abstractly and creatively to solve problems.

5. How can one improve their understanding of the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics?

To improve understanding of the non-physics part of Statistical Mechanics, one can practice solving problems and applying concepts to real-world scenarios. It is also helpful to study from a variety of resources, such as textbooks, online courses, and lectures. Seeking guidance from experts and engaging in discussions with peers can also aid in deeper understanding of the subject.