Learning E&M with Calc I: What Textbook Should I Use?

• Studying
  • Thread starter quantum13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m Textbook
In summary: There is no one definitive textbook on electromagnetism. Some good options include Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway, Electricity and Magnetism by Griffiths, and Electromagnetic Fields by Purcell.
quantum13
I want to study electromagnetism, but my math background is only calc I (working on calc II right now). Is there a good textbook on E&M that is appropriate for my background? 'Physics for scientists and engineers' by Serway was recommended but I'd like to cross-check with the community.

Or, would you recommend focusing on calc II / III so I can get a better understanding of E&M with a more math heavy book?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best you can do right now is the study elementary E&M (as part of the general physics curriculum). Unforunately, you can't go on a higher level than that, because of the lack of math (and physics) knowledge. I'd say go ahead and start working on Serway's book.

Once you got the basics covered down (and finished the calculus and general physics sequence), then you can start working on an intermediate-level E&M textbook, probably at the level of Griffiths.

quantum13 said:
I want to study electromagnetism, but my math background is only calc I (working on calc II right now). Is there a good textbook on E&M that is appropriate for my background? 'Physics for scientists and engineers' by Serway was recommended but I'd like to cross-check with the community.

Or, would you recommend focusing on calc II / III so I can get a better understanding of E&M with a more math heavy book?

Learning vector calculus (generally calculus 3) is very important in EM. The best example are Maxwell equations. You won't understand them if you only have calculus II under your belt.

As for the book, when you're done with the math, Physics by Halliday/Resnick might be a good introduction to electricity and magnetism. Then "Berkeley Physics course" by Purcell is also a good choice, though the level is intermediate.

With your math background, you will be able to tackle Purcell with a little extra effort. Purcell is a good book and will be a good prelude to something like Griffiths.

the prerequisites for Physics II is Calc II (integrals) but if you know Calc III (multivariable) you'll get a far better understanding.

quantum13 said:

are you trying to self study E&M before doing calc II/III? In that case it's okay imo. You can selfstudy the non-calc based E&M and take calc-based course later on.

i would not recommended taking non-calc based E&M course. Get Calc II done, and then do calc based E&M while doing Calc III and you'll get a better understanding. If you want to be done with Calc III first that's okay too but then you'll be waiting +1 semester.

Yes, I am trying to self-study it.

Since the replies favor studying non-calc E&M, can anyone compare the textbooks? I've been recommended Serway, Halliday, and Purcell. I actually have an old copy of Halliday but if it's too advanced / other books are better I'm willing to buy them.

Related to Learning E&M with Calc I: What Textbook Should I Use?

1. What is the best textbook for learning E&M with Calculus?

The best textbook for learning E&M with Calculus will depend on your individual learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell, and "Classical Electromagnetism" by Jerrold Franklin.

2. Are there any textbooks that are specifically designed for beginners?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are specifically designed for beginners in E&M with Calculus. Some options include "Essential Electromagnetism" by Raymond John Protheroe and "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleisch.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in Calculus to use these textbooks?

Yes, a strong understanding of Calculus is necessary for understanding E&M concepts. However, some textbooks may offer review sections or introductory chapters on necessary Calculus topics.

4. Are there any online resources available to supplement these textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement your textbook learning. Some popular options include online lecture videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations.

5. Can I use a different textbook than the recommended ones?

Yes, you can use a different textbook than the recommended ones. However, it is important to make sure that the textbook covers all of the necessary topics and aligns with your learning goals and objectives. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor for their recommendations.