Learn How to Heat Your Home Efficiently

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Home
In summary: So, for the second problem, take the exponential of the function (remember that exponents are raised to a power!). Again, this will be an indeterminate product in the limit as n approaches infinity. So we rewrite it as an indeterminate ratio [e^[ln{(n^2)+3}] / n , which gives inf./inf. You can now apply l'Hopital easily to this. The limit you get is the exponential of the limit of your original function, so that limit is e^[your result].
Firepanda
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4594/howtohe5.jpg

I know the limits of each are 1 and 3 respectively, and I did work them out by myself, but the question is 8 marks so I'm sure I didn't have enough correct notation, as I had like a line for each and I used more words than math.

What would the correct notation be for questions like these? My book has no examples for such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by enough correct notation? 'Therefore' signs and 'since' signs?

How did you use more words than math?

I am not sure what you mean by correct notations, but if you want a hint how to start solving these problems apply logs on both sides. By the way have you stuided indeterminate forms?

Well for the first problem as n tend to infinity, 3 becomes negligible, therefore from the definition of the limit for n^1/n in the question, it also tends to 1. But what is the notation for this?

Its pretty much the same for the other aswell.

Thanks

I am still unclear about what you mean. After you know that the limit is an indeterminate form you can apply L'Hopitals rule and then finally figure out that the limit is 1. You need to SIMPLIFY the expression inorder to figure out the answer. Simply 'estimating' by n^2/n etc, it isn't going to do it.

Sorry how do I use L'Hopitals here? :P

I only used it in forms of f(x)/g(x).

Look up your textbook. Or google it

Firepanda said:
Sorry how do I use L'Hopitals here? :P

I only used it in forms of f(x)/g(x).

You need to put each of these functions through a sequence of transformations to get it into a form suitable to apply l'Hopital's Rule.

First, take the natural log of the function (important: remember that you did this!). For the first problem, you will now have (1/n) · [ln{(n^2)+3}]. This is an indeterminate product in the limit as n approaches infinity. So we now rewrite it as an indeterminate ratio [ln{(n^2)+3}] / n , which gives inf./inf. You can now apply l'Hopital easily to this. The limit you get is the natural logarithm of the limit of your original function, so that limit is e^[your result].

The second one will be a bit more work, but will yield to the same method. (However, if you look at what is important in the argument of the radical as n becomes large, you can probably anticipate the result...)

Related to Learn How to Heat Your Home Efficiently

1. What is the most efficient way to heat my home?

The most efficient way to heat your home depends on a few factors such as the climate, insulation, and the type of heating system you have. However, some of the most efficient methods include using a programmable thermostat, keeping your home well-insulated, and using a high-efficiency furnace or heat pump.

2. How can I save money on my heating bill?

To save money on your heating bill, you can follow some simple tips such as adjusting your thermostat to a lower temperature when you are away or sleeping, using natural sunlight to heat your home during the day, and sealing any air leaks in your home to prevent heat loss.

3. Is it better to use a space heater or central heating?

This depends on your specific needs and preferences. Space heaters can be more energy-efficient for heating a specific room, but they can also be a fire hazard and should not be left unattended. Central heating is more efficient for heating the entire house, but it can be more costly to install and maintain.

4. How often should I replace my heating system?

The lifespan of a heating system can vary depending on the type and maintenance, but on average, a furnace or heat pump will last between 15-20 years. It is recommended to have a professional inspect and service your heating system every year to ensure it is running efficiently and to catch any potential issues early on.

5. Are there any government incentives or tax credits for improving home heating efficiency?

Yes, there are various government programs and incentives available for improving home heating efficiency. These can include tax credits for installing energy-efficient heating systems or insulation, rebates for purchasing energy-efficient appliances, and financing programs for home energy upgrades. It is recommended to research and take advantage of these programs to save money and reduce your carbon footprint.