Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] LaTeX on android

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
I am not able to read latex on my ANDROID...
What can I do?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: Latex on android

I've never used a mobile device to access MHB, but have you tried using a mobile style forum skin? This can be found in the general settings. I know many here use the app Tapatalk, but I understand it does not render $\LaTeX$, as per this post:

If you can spare the $1.99 and have an iPhone or Android device I would highly recommend buying Tapatalk. We're set up to be used with this software and it makes browsing forums very easy and convenient. The only downside is Latex doesn't render, but I still use it all the time on my phone.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013

What is Tapatalk?Will it help?Not a big deal for me,my pc is enough but I just asked because sometimes I am forced to use the android...

The mobile style is the default on android(I think there is no option to change it)...
However the same problem can be seen on MMF too...
Can you develop a better android version...?
That'dbe great...
Thanks

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Latex on MHB requires javascript to render so if your phone isn't compatible with JS or you have it disabled that would cause a problem. Tapatalk is a very nice app to use for browsing forums and we are setup to work with Tapatalk but Latex won't work on it either. It's a bit annoying, I know, but MHB isn't really meant to be a site that is functional for mobile phones. We don't encourage quick or short posts like on many popular forums, so I think overall it's ok that we aren't completely functional for mobile phones.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

I use my Iphone and and galaxy note 10.1 to browse the forums and it is working fine , what phone do you have?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

vBulletin comes with a mobile style that is chosen by default when someone browses a forum from a phone. It looks pretty bad and it really hard to customize. Because I use Tapatalk to check MHB from my phone I forgot about this mobile style.

1) See if Latex is working now. I added code to the mobile style to render Latex that was missing before now, so hopefully that is fixed.

2) We use Tapatalk with MHB to make it easier to check for updates from your phone, not to encourage using your phone more than a computer here. I use Tapatalk to check for new posts and PMs when I'm not home. Making long posts with Latex from my phone would be really bad for many reasons though and I try not to post from Tapatalk unless it's urgent.

3) If you just want to check for updates on your own threads you can subscribe to them and be notified immediately by email when a new post is made. You can also subscribe to other members' posts and even an entire subforum.

If we had lots of money to spend on software development it would be really cool to work on a custom Android app, but that's not going to happen. Please let me know if Latex is working now on your phone and I really encourage you to buy Tapatalk for $1.99 if you can.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Latex is working perfectly for me on my Android phone. The layout is not as bad as I remembered actually so for reading threads it seems not too bad but I'm not sure about how easy it is to post and use other features, although as I said I don't recommend this at all.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013

Yeah its working...
I am grateful you picked up on my suggestion...
But the features are not quite good but I am not at all concerned with it....
Many thanks

Wait...Why do you recommend Tapatalk...?Its all going well!!!