Solving Pulley Block System Acceleration & Tension

In summary, the conversation discusses finding acceleration and tension in a system involving pulleys and blocks. There is confusion about whether to add or subtract force vectors when calculating acceleration, and the importance of understanding the role of the rope in the system is emphasized. The correct approach is to treat each section of the rope separately and consider the tensions at each end to be equal and opposite.
Elena14
14564146227433.png

1. Homework Statement
FInd acceleration and tension. Take g=10m/s^2

2. The attempt at a solution
By drawing the free body diagrams of every block and simultaneously solving all the equations, I got the answer acceleration= 30/7 m/s^2, which is also correct.
But when I try to treat all the pulleys and blocks as one system to get the acceleration, I get a different answer.
f=ma

⇒ 40g+10g= 70 * a (since weight of 40 kg block and 10 kg block are the only forces acting downwards) ⇒ a=500/70 m/s^2
Somebody told me that I should have rather subtracted 40g and 30 g, so that would be 40g-10g=70a ⇒a=30/7 which happens to be the right answer.
But I don't understand why will we subtract the force vectors if they are all acting in the same direction ;ie, downwards. Where am I wrong with the second approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine one single pulley with two weights, 10 kg and 10 kg. Will the acceleration be (10+10) g / 20 or will it be (10-10) g / 20 ?

20 g according to my logic. Since, weight( a force vector) of the bodies is in the downward direction, we will add the vectors together to get the total weight and hence the acceleration=mg=(10+10)g.

BvU said:
Imagine one single pulley with two weights, 10 kg and 10 kg. Will the acceleration be (10+10) g / 20 or will it be (10-10) g / 20 ?
Alright I get it now, when gravity acts on those blocks ,both will have acceleration in opposite directions; the 40 kg block will move downward being heavier and the lighter block will be forced to move up and hence we subtract their weight.(mg)
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
(Especially for later exercises) it is important to clearly identify the physical role of the rope: you should have seen that already when "drawing the free body diagrams of every block": the tensions at the two ends of a straight rope are equal and opposite forces. When the chord is run over a pulley, in the no friction case the magnitudes remain the same but the directions change.
But for the straight sections - again - the tensions at each of the two ends are equal and opposite.

As a simple trick you can (imagine to) cut each straight section halfway and apply two equal and opposite forces to keep the loose ends in place.

1. How do you determine the acceleration of a pulley block system?

The acceleration of a pulley block system can be determined by using the formula a = (m2 - m1g)/(m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 is the mass of the first block, m2 is the mass of the second block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can also use Newton's Second Law, F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the system and m is the total mass of the system.

2. What is the tension in a pulley block system?

The tension in a pulley block system is the force that is transmitted through the rope or cable connecting the blocks. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on both sides of the pulley, and it is dependent on the masses of the blocks and the acceleration of the system. The tension can be calculated using the formula T = m1a + m1g + m2a, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, and a is the acceleration of the system.

3. How do you solve a pulley block system with multiple pulleys?

To solve a pulley block system with multiple pulleys, you can use the same formulas mentioned above, but you also need to take into account the number of pulleys and the direction in which they are moving. You may need to use free-body diagrams and apply Newton's Second Law to each block separately before solving for the acceleration and tension in the system.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving pulley block systems?

One common mistake when solving pulley block systems is forgetting to properly account for the direction of the forces and accelerations. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or not using the formulas correctly. It is also important to make sure that all the values used in the calculations are in the correct units (e.g. mass in kilograms, acceleration in meters per second squared).

5. How can you verify the accuracy of your solution for a pulley block system?

To verify the accuracy of your solution for a pulley block system, you can check to make sure that the tension values are equal on both sides of the pulley, as well as double-checking that the net force acting on the system is equal to the total mass of the system multiplied by its acceleration. You can also try solving the problem using different methods or equations to see if you get the same result. Additionally, you can perform a real-world experiment with a similar pulley block system to compare your calculated values with the actual values measured.