Laser rate equation using matlab

In summary, the user is trying to solve a rate equation using Matlab. They are having difficulty understanding what the equation is and what the derivatives with respect to time are. They are also having difficulty understanding how Pout is related to the ODEs.
mya246
Hi, is there anyone familiar with rate equation solving using Matlab? I need help on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mya, welcome to PF!

You need to be more specific. What equation are you trying to solve? What exactly is the problem you are having?

I need to plot the light-current characteristic of laser (Pout vs I) by solving using ode45.

dy(1)= ((ni*I)/(q*V))-(N/tau)-(v_g*a*((N-N_tr)/(1+epsilon*N_p))*N_p);
dy(2)= (T*v_g*a*((N-N_tr)/(1+epsilon*N_p))*N_p) + (B_sp*T*R_sp) - (N_p/tau_p);

Pout = N_p*Vp*h*v*alpha_m*v_g;

how can I do that?

DrClaude said:
Hi mya, welcome to PF!

You need to be more specific. What equation are you trying to solve? What exactly is the problem you are having?

I need to plot the light-current characteristic of laser (Pout vs I) by solving using ode45.

dy(1)= ((ni*I)/(q*V))-(N/tau)-(v_g*a*((N-N_tr)/(1+epsilon*N_p))*N_p);
dy(2)= (T*v_g*a*((N-N_tr)/(1+epsilon*N_p))*N_p) + (B_sp*T*R_sp) - (N_p/tau_p);

Pout = N_p*Vp*h*v*alpha_m*v_g;

how can I do that?

I'm sorry, but this is not clear at all. You have dy(1) and dy(2), but I don't see any y(1) or y(2). And these are the derivatives with respect to what? And how does Pout relate to those ODEs?

DrClaude said:
I'm sorry, but this is not clear at all. You have dy(1) and dy(2), but I don't see any y(1) or y(2). And these are the derivatives with respect to what? And how does Pout relate to those ODEs?

sorry for that y(1) = N, y(2) = N_p. How can I plot the Pout vs current? Pout is related to N_p by solving the ODE

mya246 said:
sorry for that y(1) = N, y(2) = N_p.
How can I plot the Pout vs current? Pout is related to N_p by solving the ODE
I'm sorry, but I'm still not clear on what you are solving. Are the derivatives with respect to time?

rate equation

clc
clear all
close all
tau_s = 3e-9;
N0 = 1e24;
A =1e-12;
P0 = 1/(A*tau_s);
TSPAN = [0 10];
Y0 =[0 0];
[T,Y] = ODE45(@rate_equation,TSPAN,Y0);
subplot(2,1,1)
plot(T*tau_s ,Y(:,1)*N0)
title('carriers density in high laser level') % carriers density in high laser level
subplot(2,1,2)
plot(T*tau_s ,Y(:,2)*P0)
title('photons density in activer region') % photons density in activer region
And this is the function.
function dy = rate_equation(t,y)
dy = zeros(2,1);
tau_s = 3e-9; % carriers lifetime
tau_p = 1e-12; % photons lifetime
A = 1e-12; % linear gain costant
N0 = 1e24; % trasparency carries density
V = 3.75e-14; % modal volume
gamma = 1e-5; % gain compression factor
q = 1.6e-19; % electron charge
I0 = N0*q*V/tau_s; % trasparency current
tau_norm = tau_s/tau_p;
eta = A*tau_p*N0; % efficiency
I = 2.5*I0; % pumping current ( try: from I0 to 3*I0 for example ...and see what happens!)
dy(1)= I/I0 -y(2)*(y(1) - 1) -y(1);
dy(2) = tau_norm*(y(2)*(eta*(y(1) - 1) -1) + gamma*eta*y(1))

Last edited:
I hope that it would be helpful,

Can anyone help me by giving MATLAB code to simulate semiconductor laser rate equation by finite difference methord. i wrote a code but it is not working. please help me.

qzsas

Related to Laser rate equation using matlab

1. What is the Laser Rate Equation and how is it used in Matlab?

The Laser Rate Equation is a mathematical model that describes the dynamics of a laser. It takes into account the rate of population inversion, the gain of the laser medium, and the losses in the laser cavity. In Matlab, this equation is used to simulate and analyze the behavior of a laser system, such as its output power and wavelength.

2. What are the key components of the Laser Rate Equation in Matlab?

The key components of the Laser Rate Equation in Matlab are the rate of population inversion, the gain coefficient, the loss coefficient, and the laser output power. These parameters can be adjusted to simulate different laser systems and their behavior.

3. How does Matlab solve the Laser Rate Equation?

Matlab uses numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, to solve the Laser Rate Equation. This involves breaking down the equation into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to find the solution at each step. The final output is a plot of the laser output power over time.

4. What are the limitations of using the Laser Rate Equation in Matlab?

The Laser Rate Equation in Matlab is based on several assumptions, such as a homogeneously broadened gain medium and a single longitudinal mode. This may not accurately represent real-world laser systems, which can have more complex dynamics. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the accuracy of the input parameters.

5. Can the Laser Rate Equation in Matlab be used for all types of lasers?

The Laser Rate Equation in Matlab is a general model that can be applied to different types of lasers, such as solid-state, gas, or semiconductor lasers. However, the specific parameters and equations may need to be modified to accurately simulate the behavior of a particular type of laser.