Laplace Transfrom to Solve ODE Help

In summary: L[y]In summary, the conversation is about using Laplace transforms to solve ODEs with non-constant coefficients. The person is unsure about how to deal with the 2ty' term and asks for help. They discuss using integration by parts and the transforms of y' and tf in terms of f. The conversation ends with a clarification on the use of the transforms.
mmmboh
Hi, so we just started learning about Laplace transforms yesterday, and I have a problem which I am not sure what to do:
2rqy2x1.jpg

My question is about the second term, if it was a constant coefficient I could do this fine, but none of the 2 examples we did in class for solving ODEs with Laplace transforms involved non-constant coefficients...so I'm not sure how to deal with that term, I tried something with integration by parts, but that didn't work..and I don't suppose I can just pretend t is constant and bring it outside the Laplacian.

Can someone tell me how I am suppose to deal with the 2ty' term please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have a list of transforms (assuming you don't want to derive the transform from scratch, which...isn't hard, but it's integration by parts which is eww).

Do you know the transform of y' in terms of the transform of y?
Do you know the transform of tf in terms of the transform of f?

[edit] Sorry, I only skimmed your post. Bad me. Integration by parts should work! Be careful though. Minus signs and stuff arghh.

Yes I know the transform of y' in terms of the transform of y, but I don't know the transform of tf in terms of the transforms of f, we didn't get to that...that would help. I'm not sure I did the integration by parts right, I'll try again.

Ok well I have derived that L(ty)=t*L(y)-integral(L(y))...but I'm not sure that helps.

Would the integral of L(y)dt just be t*L(y)? since L(y) is not a function of t?

Last edited:
mmmboh said:
Ok well I have derived that L(ty)=t*L(y)-integral(L(y))...but I'm not sure that helps.

Would the integral of L(y)dt just be t*L(y)? since L(y) is not a function of t?
Hmm, that looks backward.

[tex]L[ty] = \int_0^\infty ty e^{-st}dt = \int_0^\infty \left(-\frac{\partial}{\partial s}\right)ye^{-st}dt = -\frac{\partial}{\partial s} \int_0^\infty ye^{-st}dt[/tex]

Related to Laplace Transfrom to Solve ODE Help

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to simplify differential equations and solve problems involving time-dependent systems.

How does a Laplace transform help solve ODEs?

By converting a differential equation from the time domain to the frequency domain, a Laplace transform allows us to solve the equation using algebraic operations instead of differential calculus. This often leads to simpler and more elegant solutions.

What types of differential equations can be solved using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms can be used to solve linear, constant coefficient ordinary differential equations (ODEs). They are most commonly used for initial value problems, but can also be applied to boundary value problems.

What are the limitations of using Laplace transforms to solve ODEs?

Laplace transforms can only be used for linear ODEs with constant coefficients. They also require that the initial conditions of the problem are known. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform can be difficult and time-consuming to compute in some cases.

Are there any alternative methods for solving ODEs?

Yes, there are many other methods for solving ODEs, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and numerical methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy. Laplace transforms are just one tool in the mathematician's toolbox for solving differential equations.