Inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic?

In summary: Next, take the inverse Laplace of both sides. This will give you the two solutions. You can solve for either one, or you could use the quadratic formula to find the slope and y-intercept of the graph. In summary, this person is trying to solve an equation using the inverse laplace function. They first divide the numerator and denominator by m to make it easier to solve. They then take the inverse laplace of both sides to get the two solutions. They could solve for either one, or they could use the quadratic formula to find the slope and y-intercept of the graph.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

I have to take the inverse Laplace of this function (xoms+bxo)/(ms2+bs+k) this can not be broken into partial fractions because it just gives me the same thing I started with. How is this done? This is coming from the laplace of the position function for a harmonic oscillator with initial conditions x(o) = xo and dx/dt(0) = 0 if that helps. The original function is mx''+bx'+kx = 0 where m is mass, b is coefficient of damping, k is spring constant. The end goal of this whole thing is to solve this ODE using laplace.

Homework Equations

mx''+bx'+kx = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have took the Laplace of the above equation and got down to the point where I now need to take the inverse Laplace of (xoms+bxo)/(ms2+bs+k)

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

I have to take the inverse Laplace of this function (xoms+bxo)/(ms2+bs+k) this can not be broken into partial fractions because it just gives me the same thing I started with. How is this done? This is coming from the laplace of the position function for a harmonic oscillator with initial conditions x(o) = xo and dx/dt(0) = 0 if that helps. The original function is mx''+bx'+kx = 0 where m is mass, b is coefficient of damping, k is spring constant. The end goal of this whole thing is to solve this ODE using laplace.

Homework Equations

mx''+bx'+kx = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have took the Laplace of the above equation and got down to the point where I now need to take the inverse Laplace of (xoms+bxo)/(ms2+bs+k)

Let the two roots of ##m s^2 + bs + k=0## be ##r_1,r_2##. If ##r_1 \neq r_2## you can always write ##1/(m s^2 + bs + k)## as the partial fraction
$$\frac{1}{m} \left( \frac{A}{s-r_1} + \frac{B}{s - r_2} \right), $$
and easily enough find ##A,B##. If ##r_1 = r_2 = r## the partial fraction expansion of ##f(s) = (1/m) 1/(s-r)^2## is just ##f(s)## itself.

So, when ##r_1 \neq r_2,## you need to invert
$$\frac{A}{m} \frac{us+v}{s-r_1} + \frac{B}{m} \frac{us+v}{s-r_2},$$
which is easy enough. When ##r_1 = r_2 = r## you need to invert
$$\frac{1}{m} \frac{u s + v}{(s-r)^2},$$
which is pretty standard and can be found in tables, etc.

You should show your work to see if anyone can make some suggestions or spot any errors.

I would start by dividing numerator and denominator by m. It makes it cleaner to solve.

Related to Inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic?

What is the inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic?

The inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform, where the function is an irreducible quadratic in the form of (ax^2 + bx + c).

How is the inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic is calculated using the partial fraction decomposition method, where the function is broken down into simpler fractions that can be easily transformed back to its original form.

What is the significance of an irreducible quadratic in the inverse Laplace transform?

An irreducible quadratic in the inverse Laplace transform is significant because it represents a function that cannot be further simplified or factored. This means that the partial fraction decomposition method is necessary to find the inverse Laplace transform for such functions.

Can the inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic be found using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods such as the convolution theorem and the Bromwich integral that can be used to find the inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic. However, the partial fraction decomposition method is the most commonly used and straightforward method for this type of function.

How is the inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic used in scientific research?

The inverse Laplace transform for an irreducible quadratic is used in various areas of scientific research, such as in control systems, signal processing, and differential equations. It allows scientists to analyze and understand complex functions and their behavior in real-world applications.