Lane-Emden Equation for non conventional EoS.

• Thread starter rsouza01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a topic in PF about an equation of state (EoS) involving A, B, n, and m. The individual is wondering if it is possible to solve the Lane-Emden equation for n and m separately and then combine the solutions, and if there is a proof for this method. The EoS arises in the context of adding electrostatic corrections to Chandrasekhar's model for non-relativistic white dwarfs. The individual apologizes for their poor English and asks for help with their calculations.
rsouza01
Hi,

This is my first topic in PF.

Supose I have an EoS of the type [itex]A \cdot \rho^{n} + B \cdot \rho^{m}[/itex], A and B real numbers, n and m rational numbers (not and imposition). I wonder if it makes any sense to think that I can just solve Lane-Emden equation for [itex]\Gamma = n[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma = m[/itex], and in the end, just add the two solutions (that would be numerical). If so, there's a proof somewhere? If don't, why?

This equation of state arises when one try to add the electrostatic corrections to the Chandrasekhar's model for non relativistic white dwarfs. I'm not sure if my calculations are right, but I think it's a good question.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive my poor english.

Rodrigo

Physics news on Phys.org
I have experience in EoS's, what exactly are you trying to solve for?

Related to Lane-Emden Equation for non conventional EoS.

1. What is the Lane-Emden Equation for non-conventional EoS?

The Lane-Emden equation is a differential equation used in astrophysics to model the structure and evolution of gaseous objects, such as stars. It is often used with non-conventional equations of state (EoS) to describe the behavior of matter under extreme conditions, such as high pressure and temperature.

2. How is the Lane-Emden Equation derived?

The Lane-Emden equation is derived from the hydrostatic equilibrium equation, which describes the balance between pressure and gravity within a gaseous object. By making assumptions about the behavior of the gas and solving the hydrostatic equilibrium equation, the Lane-Emden equation is obtained.

3. What is a non-conventional equation of state?

A non-conventional equation of state is an equation that describes the relationship between the physical properties of a substance, such as pressure, density, and temperature, under extreme conditions that deviate from traditional gas laws. These equations are often used to describe the behavior of matter in astrophysical environments, such as in the cores of stars.

4. What are some applications of the Lane-Emden Equation for non-conventional EoS?

The Lane-Emden equation, when used with non-conventional equations of state, has many applications in astrophysics. It is commonly used to model the structure and evolution of stars, as well as other gaseous objects, such as planets and nebulae. It can also be used to study the effects of extreme environments, such as in supernovae explosions or black holes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lane-Emden Equation for non-conventional EoS?

While the Lane-Emden equation is a useful tool in astrophysics, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the gas is spherically symmetric and in hydrostatic equilibrium, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account the effects of radiation or magnetic fields, which can greatly influence the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.