Landing in a Wingsuit, no Parachute

• Thread starter IMP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parachute
In summary, the conversation discusses a video of a man landing on cardboard boxes in a wingsuit, which is considered an impressive and dangerous feat. Some suggest that a water landing would be less risky, but others argue that it would still be dangerous without proper precautions. The conversation also mentions a wingsuit accident and the possibility of a water landing in the future.
IMP
I knew someone would do it sooner or later. He landed on cardboard boxes, an amazing feat in my opinion. Three different angles of video in the link:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d5f_1337818786

Final approach:
pb-120523-landing-jm-02.photoblog900.jpg

Moment of impact:
pb-120523-landing-jm-04.photoblog900.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Incredible! Crazy dangerous but impressive.

All he needs now is landing gear.

I am of the opinion that his landing was slow enough that he could have landed on water with no injuries!

From what I read, he did have a parachute in case it was needed. Still, impressive as hell. I have to agree with you IMP - he probably could have made a water landing.

This is impressive. My understanding there was a bit of a race for this record.

Jeb Corliss is a world class wingsuit/proximity flyer who was/is working towards this goal. Last I read via landing ramp.

I think crazy is a bit of a misnomer here. No doubt there were plenty of calculations, practice runs and a very close eye on weather.

Crazy would be landing on water.

Jeb just had a rather nasty accident in a wingsuit, he hit his legs on an outcrop breaking both legs. As for the water landing: I think the scariest part of the cardboard box stunt is making 100% sure you are lined up correctly, a water landing would allow you to land with much more forgiveness. This assumes you can scrub off enough speed though, and you have adequate flotation devices. I foresee a water landing soon.

I was going to post a link of the video of Jeb hitting the rocks but it is not pleasant to watch, especially the fact that he had to land his parachute with two broken legs.

awesome, but not as dangerous as a video where a man jump out of a hot air balloon without any protection

IMP said:
Jeb just had a rather nasty accident in a wingsuit, he hit his legs on an outcrop breaking both legs. As for the water landing: I think the scariest part of the cardboard box stunt is making 100% sure you are lined up correctly, a water landing would allow you to land with much more forgiveness. This assumes you can scrub off enough speed though, and you have adequate flotation devices. I foresee a water landing soon.

I was going to post a link of the video of Jeb hitting the rocks but it is not pleasant to watch, especially the fact that he had to land his parachute with two broken legs.

Ah that sucks, hopefully there is a full recovery ahead. That being said, I've never seen any video where a wingsuit flyer is so daring.Landing on water is risky even with a parachute decent and a pick up boat near by.

Landing in the water with a wing suit and no slowed decent is crazy. Not to mention the vast difference in air over land and over water, i.e. controlled decent (maybe over cast day would be okay).

Just 30mph into the water is too fast imo. 50mph is probably risking broken bones/getting knocked out.

in any case that's just my opinion, I am no expert. I don't even know what the cardboard box landing dudes decent was on impact.

as for a water landing coming soon. I think so too, but perhaps a different wing suit.

Last edited:

Related to Landing in a Wingsuit, no Parachute

1. How is it possible to survive a wingsuit landing without a parachute?

Surviving a wingsuit landing without a parachute is incredibly difficult, but not impossible. Wingsuit pilots use their specialized suits to create lift and decrease their rate of descent, allowing them to glide farther and slower than a typical freefall. This, combined with proper technique and landing in a designated landing zone, can help increase the chances of survival.

2. Is it legal to land in a wingsuit without a parachute?

The legality of landing in a wingsuit without a parachute varies depending on the location. In some countries, it is completely legal as long as certain safety precautions are followed. However, in other places, it may be considered illegal and dangerous. It is important to research and follow all laws and regulations before attempting such a landing.

3. What kind of training is required to attempt a wingsuit landing without a parachute?

Before attempting a wingsuit landing without a parachute, it is important to have extensive experience and training in both wingsuit flying and skydiving. This includes mastering basic skydiving skills, as well as completing specialized wingsuit training courses. It is also crucial to practice emergency procedures and have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.

4. What are the risks involved in a wingsuit landing without a parachute?

There are numerous risks involved in a wingsuit landing without a parachute. These include but are not limited to, injuries from impact or crashing into trees or other obstacles, loss of control due to winds or other factors, and malfunction of the wingsuit equipment. It is important to carefully assess and mitigate these risks before attempting such a landing.

5. Has anyone successfully landed in a wingsuit without a parachute?

There have been a few instances where wingsuit pilots have successfully landed without a parachute, but it is an incredibly rare and dangerous feat. It is not recommended to attempt such a landing unless you are a highly experienced and trained wingsuit pilot with a thorough understanding of the risks involved.