Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on inclined plane.

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder on an inclined plane connected to a wall with a spring. All frictions are neglected and the data is shown in an image. The goal is to solve the problem using D'Alembert Principle and Lagrangian Dynamics, with the choice of using y as the generalized coordinate. However, there is only one degree of freedom and rotational motion must also be taken into account. The cylinder is moving at the vertical axis, but it can also shift horizontally due to the spring. The question arises about the relationship between y and the horizontal position x, and how it can be derived.
crucifige

Homework Statement

A cylinder on a inclined plane is rolling without slipping. Inclined plane is connected to wall with a spring and cylinder is connected to wall with a spring too. All frictions will be neglected, and all the given data has shown on the image below.

c8xu354rqv67txj1m.jpg

As seen above, k2 spring and cylinder is only moving at vertical axis which can be thought as y.

2. The attempt at a solution

First of all, i have doubts on generalized coordinates. I think only one generalized coordinate should be used and it should be y. I need to solve this problem with D'Alembert Principle and Lagrangian Dynamics.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

You may use y as your generalized coordinate, but you don't have to. There are a couple of other possible choices for the generalized coordinate.

But you have the correct idea that there is only one degree of freedom.

Thank you so much for replying.

So that, in order to apply Lagrangian dynamics,

c8y7gmctt2w2txacq.gif

Does it look right or am i missing something?

I think you're missing a type of kinetic energy.

Should i add rotational motion into the kinetic energy? But cylinder is not moving, what do you think about the type of kinetic energy i am missing?

Last edited:
Why do you think the cylinder isn't moving? The problem statement says it rolls without slipping.

yes it is, but it is only moving at vertical axis, k2 has told to be fixed on the vertical axis by the asker, it doesn't take any diagonal positions.

So what happens when the wedge shifts horizontally?

Had to ask the question about y= x(t) g a... is y= x(t) tangent(alpha)? and how do you derive that? thanks!

Related to Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on inclined plane.

1. What is the Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane?

The Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane is a classic physics problem that involves finding the equations of motion for a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane with friction. It is a common example used to demonstrate the application of Lagrangian mechanics.

2. What are the assumptions made in the Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane?

The assumptions made in this problem include: the cylinder is a rigid body, the plane is frictional, the cylinder rolls without slipping, and the axis of rotation of the cylinder is fixed.

3. How is the Lagrangian method used to solve this problem?

The Lagrangian method involves using the Lagrangian equations of motion, which are based on the principle of least action, to find the equations of motion for the system. The Lagrangian is a function that combines the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is minimized to find the path of motion.

4. What are the main variables involved in the Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane?

The main variables in this problem include the mass of the cylinder, the angle of incline of the plane, the radius of the cylinder, the coefficient of friction, and the initial conditions of the system (such as the initial velocity and position of the cylinder).

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane?

The principles and equations used in this problem can be applied to various real-world situations, such as the motion of a rolling ball or the rotation of a spinning top. It is also used in engineering and the design of machines and structures that involve rolling or sliding motion.