Lagrangian approach for the inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Lagrangian approach to find the equation of motion for a mass sliding down a frictionless inclined plane. The Lagrangian is set up as 1/2m(da/dt)2 - mgasin(b), which leads to the equation of motion md2s/dt2 = -mgsin(b). However, the potential energy is questioned as it appears to be negative. The discussion suggests that the potential energy should be positive if PE = 0 is set at the bottom of the incline, but the equation of motion remains the same. The potential energy is ultimately determined to be irrelevant as it is the change in value that matters.
Rick16
TL;DR Summary
getting the sign right for the potential energy in the Lagrangian
I want to use the Lagrangian approach to find the equation of motion for a mass sliding down a frictionless inclined plane. I call the length of the incline a and the angle that the incline makes with the horizontal b. Then the mass has kinetic energy 1/2m(da/dt)2 and the potential energy should be -- as I see it -- mgh = mgasin(b). So the Lagrangian is 1/2m(da/dt)2 - mgasin(b), which leads to the equation of motion
md2s/dt2 = -mgsin(b). I am bothered by the minus sign in front of the right-hand term. The Newtonian method leads to md2s/dt2 = +mgsin(b).

I searched the internet and looked at 3 solutions to this problem, none of which was helpful. The first internet expert sets up the Lagrangian the way I do, he also gets the same equation of motion, and he does not see anything wrong with it. The second expert also sets up the Lagrangian the way I do, but he makes a mistake solving the Lagrange equation and ends up with md2s/dt2 = +mgsin(b). The third expert simply writes down the potential energy as -mgh, without any further comment. With a negative potential energy he naturally gets the solution md2s/dt2 = +mgsin(b), but I can't see how the potential energy could be negative.

Could someone help me see clearer? Thanks ahead.

Physics news on Phys.org
As “a“ increases, the potential energy increases. What does this say about the direction of the slope of the plane?

Hi,

Please clarify your symbols and don't jump around from ##a## to ##s##.
You have ##\mathcal L = T - V##. Write it out and write out the Euler- Lagrange equation.

(and learn some ##\LaTeX## ...)

##\ ##

Sorry about the mixup with the variables. I used "s" in my handwritten sketch, but changed it to "a" because "ssin" looks strange on the screen. As for Latex, I actually did learn it, but I never use it because writing equations is much easier with MS Word, and I have forgotten all my Latex.

Anyway, here is my Lagrangian again (awkwardly written):

L = T - U = 1/2m(da/dt)2 - mgasin(b). And the solution of the Euler-Lagrange equation is md2a/dt2 = -mgsin(b).

About the direction of the slope: I don't know what to make of this. As the mass slides down the incline, its potential energy decreases, from a more positive value to a less positive value. So on any one point on the slope the potential energy is positive. Why would someone write U = -mgh?

Rick16 said:
Sorry about the mixup with the variables. I used "s" in my handwritten sketch, but changed it to "a" because "ssin" looks strange on the screen. As for Latex, I actually did learn it, but I never use it because writing equations is much easier with MS Word, and I have forgotten all my Latex.
It doesn't look strange if you write it in Latex. It takes all of 15 min to become proficient enough for what you wish to express here. Click on this link Learn LaTeX it explains how latex is used on this site.

Okay, if you insist. I now rename my variables to ##s## for the displacement of the mass and ##\theta## for the angle that the incline makes with the horizontal.

Then the Lagrangian is: $$\mathcal {L}=\frac 1 2 m \dot s^2 - mgs \sin \theta$$

And the resulting equation of motion is $$m \ddot s = -mg \sin \theta$$

This looks certainly better, but it is still wrong, or so I believe.

• Care
Likes malawi_glenn, berkeman and Dale
The potential ! Does it increase or decrease with ##s## ?

##\ ##

Likes erobz
Rick16 said:
Okay, if you insist. I now rename my variables to ##s## for the displacement of the mass and ##\theta## for the angle that the incline makes with the horizontal.

Ok, ##s## is down the slope. You apparently chose your PE = 0 datum at the top of the incline, but take the change in potential energy as positive. Thats where the problem is.

If the box is below the PE=0 datum it has negative gravitational potential as ##s## increases.

Last edited:
I think I am getting closer. If PE = 0 at the top of the incline, then the potential energy would be negative throughout the displacement. But I actually chose PE = 0 at the bottom of the incline, and therefore my potential energy seems to be positive. It should not matter where I set the potential energy equal to zero, I should always come to the same conclusion. Intuitively I would set PE = 0 at the bottom of the incline, but I don't see what reasoning I should use in this case to arrive at a negative potential energy for the mass.

The value doesn't matter. Zeros for potentials can be chosen arbitrarily.
The sign of the change in value is what counts !

Rick16 said:
I think I am getting closer. If PE = 0 at the top of the incline, then the potential energy would be negative throughout the displacement. But I actually chose PE = 0 at the bottom of the incline, and therefore my potential energy seems to be positive. It should not matter where I set the potential energy equal to zero, I should always come to the same conclusion. Intuitively I would set PE = 0 at the bottom of the incline, but I don't see what reasoning I should use in this case to arrive at a negative potential energy for the mass.
## mgs \sin \theta## is not the potential for choosing PE=0 at the bottom of the ramp. Try that part again.

Last edited:
erobz said:
## mgs \sin \theta## is not the potential for choosing PE=0 at the bottom of the ramp. Try that part again.
I am sorry, but I don't understand this. If ##h## is the height of the mass above the ground, then ##U=mgh=mgs\sin\theta=0## when ##h=0##, i.e. at the bottom of the ramp.

You have to be careful when you use constraints in Lagrangians. A pitfall-free method for beginners is to start with Cartesian coordinates, write the Lagrangian then apply the constraints. In this case, I choose conventional Cartesian coordinates: ##x## increases to the right, ##y## increases away from the center of the Earth. Then the kinetic energy is
$$T=\frac{1}{2}m (\dot x^2+\dot y^2).$$
The potential energy function is the negative of the work done by gravity. If we displace the mass from the origin, where we take the potential energy to be zero, to some positive ##y## (watch the negative signs),
$$U(y)=-W_g=-\int_0^y \vec F_ g\cdot dy~\hat y=-\int_0^y m g(-\hat y)\cdot dy~\hat y=+mgy.$$Note that the potential energy increases as the mass moves away from the center of the Earth and that is at it should be.

Now for the constraint that the mass stay on the incline. The Cartesian coordinates are be replaced by a single coordinate ##s## that increases up the incline, in which case ##x=s~\cos\!\theta## and ##y=s~\sin\!\theta.## The Lagrangian is $$\mathcal{L} =T-U=\frac{1}{2}m\dot s^2 -mgs\sin\!\theta.$$Then $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot s}=m\ddot s~;~~\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial s}=-mg\sin\!\theta$$and the EOM is $$m\ddot s+g\sin\!\theta=0 \implies m\ddot s=-g\sin\!\theta $$The minus sign indicates that the acceleration of the block is negative, i.e. down the incline and this is as it should be.

The lesson to be learned here is that if you want to be formal and use the Lagrangian, then be formal and don't cut corners.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Rick16 said:
I am sorry, but I don't understand this. If ##h## is the height of the mass above the ground, then ##U=mgh=mgs\sin\theta=0## when ##h=0##, i.e. at the bottom of the ramp.
What is the height of the mass above the ground? The coordinate ##s## is originating at the top of the incline. Select an arbitrary initial height ##h##, you must write the potential in terms of ##h## and ##s##.

Likes Rick16
Rick16 said:
You are looking for the potential energy function ##U## which, by definition, is zero at the origin of whatever coordinate you are using to describe it. See post #13 for its derivation.

Here is what you were apparently considering first.

1684334423548.png

What is ##U## given this datum, and coordinate ##s##?

Last edited:
erobz said:
What is the height of the mass above the ground? The coordinate ##s## is originating at the top of the incline. Select an arbitrary initial height ##h##, you must write the potential in terms of ##h## and ##s##.
Thank you!!! This comment finally did it. ##s## is originating at the top of the incline. I made the mistake to think that ##s=0## at the bottom of the incline. Actually, I did not really think this, I rather did not think about ##s## at all. I just looked at the right triangle and wrote down ##h=s\sin\theta##, which is wrong.

If I use ##h_0## as the initial height of the mass, then ##h_0-h(t)=s(t)\sin\theta##. Then ##h(t)=h_0-s(t)\sin\theta##. So the potential energy is ##mg(h_0-s(t)\sin\theta)## and the correct Lagrangian is

$$\mathcal {L}=\frac 1 2 m \dot s^2-mg(h_0-s(t)\sin\theta)$$

Then ##\frac {\partial \mathcal {L}} {\partial s}=mg\sin\theta## and ##\frac {d}{dt} \frac {\partial \mathcal {L}} {\partial \dot s}=m\ddot s##, and the equation of motion is correctly ##m\ddot s = mg\sin\theta##.

Thank you everybody for your answers. They have all been helpful, but what I needed most was this one sentence: ##s## is originating at the top of the incline.

Likes BvU and erobz
Rick16 said:
I just looked at the right triangle and wrote down ##h=s\sin\theta##, which is wrong.

If I use ##h_0## as the initial height of the mass, then ##h_0-h(t)=s(t)\sin\theta##. Then ##h(t)=h_0-s(t)\sin\theta##. So the potential energy is ##mg(h_0-s(t)\sin\theta)## and the correct Lagrangian is

$$\mathcal {L}=\frac 1 2 m \dot s^2-mg(h_0-s(t)\sin\theta)$$

Then ##\frac {\partial \mathcal {L}} {\partial s}=mg\sin\theta## and ##\frac {d}{dt} \frac {\partial \mathcal {L}} {\partial \dot s}=m\ddot s##, and the equation of motion is correctly ##m\ddot s = mg\sin\theta##.

Thank you everybody for your answers. They have all been helpful, but what I needed most was this one sentence: ##s## is originating at the top of the incline.
Just to clarify things some more. What matters is how the generalized coordinate is defined as increasing because however one writes the (gravitational) potential energy function ##U##, it has to be consistent with Nature's demand that it increase when the mass is moved farther away from the center of the Earth. Thus,
  • if ##s## originates at the top of the incline and increases downhill as shown in the figure in post #16, ##U=-mgs\sin\!\theta.##
  • if ##s## originates at the bottom of the incline and increases uphill as I assumed in post #13, ##U=+mgs\sin\!\theta.##
Either choice leads to the same equation of motion. Your mistake was that you treated ##s## as a distance, not as a coordinate.

Likes erobz
Rick16 said:

Why should it be wrong? I suggest you provide a drawing, where you clearly define your coordinate(s). From your equation obviously ##s## is a coordinate wrt. a basis vector which is a tangent vector on the plane pointing upwards, i.e., with increasing ##s## the mass gets "higher" in the gravitational field of the Earth.

vanhees71 said:
Why should it be wrong? I suggest you provide a drawing, where you clearly define your coordinate(s). From your equation obviously ##s## is a coordinate wrt. a basis vector which is a tangent vector on the plane pointing upwards, i.e., with increasing ##s## the mass gets "higher" in the gravitational field of the Earth.
See #16 for 'downwards' ...

kuruman said:
Just to clarify things some more. What matters is how the generalized coordinate is defined as increasing because however one writes the (gravitational) potential energy function ##U##, it has to be consistent with Nature's demand that it increase when the mass is moved farther away from the center of the Earth. Thus,
  • if ##s## originates at the top of the incline and increases downhill as shown in the figure in post #16, ##U=-mgs\sin\!\theta.##
  • if ##s## originates at the bottom of the incline and increases uphill as I assumed in post #13, ##U=+mgs\sin\!\theta.##
Either choice leads to the same equation of motion. Your mistake was that you treated ##s## as a distance, not as a coordinate.
This is exactly true. I saw a static picture with fixed distances, instead of seeing ##U## as a function of a moving coordinate. I now also realize that I don't need to include ##h_0## in the expression for the potential energy. ##h_0## is an arbitrary constant, and I can as well set it equal to zero. Then I finally get the result that I have been looking for from the start: ##U(s) = -mgs\sin\theta##. Of course, in this case the ramp no longer sits on top of the x-axis, but below it. I saw this setup elsewhere before, with the x-axis pointing to the right and the y-axis pointing down, but I did not understand why the axes were chosen this way. Now I know. I have learned a lot from this seemingly simple problem. Thanks a lot for your help.

Ok, let's take #16. Then of course ##s## is in the other direction. To derive the Lagrangian, you start with the calculation of the kinetic energy
$$T=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2$$
and the potential of the force acting on the particle
$$\vec{F}=m \vec{g} =-\vec{\nabla} V \; \Rightarrow \; V=-m \vec{g} \cdot \vec{x}$$
in terms of the coordinates.

Here we introduce first a new Cartesian basis. Let the plane shown in #16 be the (12)-plane with ##\vec{e}_1## pointing to the right ##\vec{e}_2## pointing up and ##\vec{e}_3## pointing out of the plane. In the corresponding Cartesian coordinates you have
$$\underline{g}=\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -g \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}, \quad g>0.$$
Then we introduce
$$\underline{e}_s=\begin{pmatrix}\cos \alpha \\ -\sin \alpha \\0 \end{pmatrix},$$
where ##\alpha## is the angle of the red triangle on the edge on the 1-axis.

As the other basis vector in the plane shown in #16 we take
$$\underline{e}_n=\begin{pmatrix} \sin \alpha \\ \cos \alpha \\0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
As the third basis vector we can keep ##\vec{e}_3=\vec{e}_s \times \vec{e}_n##.

The point should now be restricted to the inclined plane, i.e.,
$$\vec{x}=s \vec{e}_s + z \vec{e}_3.$$
The kinetic energy is
$$T=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{s}^2+\dot{z}^2)$$
and the potential is
$$V=-m \vec{g} \cdot \vec{x}=-m \begin{pmatrix}0\\ -g \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix}s \cos \alpha \\ -s \sin \alpha \\ z \end{pmatrix}=-mg s \sin \alpha.$$
The Lagrangian thus is
$$L=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{s}^2+\dot{z}^2) +m g s \sin \alpha,$$
and the Euler-Lagrange equations read
$$\mathrm{d}_t \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{s}}=m \ddot{s}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial s}=mg$$
and
$$\mathrm{d}_t \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{z}}=m \ddot{z} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial z}=0.$$
The solutions are
$$s=s_0 + v_{s0} t +\frac{g}{2} \sin \alpha t^2, \quad z=z_0 + v_{30} t,$$
as expected.

1. What is the Lagrangian approach for the inclined plane?

The Lagrangian approach for the inclined plane is a mathematical method used to analyze the motion of an object on an inclined plane. It involves using the Lagrangian equations, which are based on the principle of least action, to determine the equations of motion for the object.

2. What is the advantage of using the Lagrangian approach for the inclined plane?

The Lagrangian approach allows for a more generalized and systematic approach to solving problems involving motion on an inclined plane. It also takes into account the potential and kinetic energy of the object, making it applicable to a wider range of scenarios.

3. How is the Lagrangian approach applied to the inclined plane?

The Lagrangian approach involves setting up the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the object, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion for the object on the inclined plane.

4. Can the Lagrangian approach be used for any type of inclined plane?

Yes, the Lagrangian approach can be applied to any type of inclined plane, as long as the motion is confined to a single plane and there are no external forces acting on the object.

5. What are the limitations of the Lagrangian approach for the inclined plane?

The Lagrangian approach may become more complex when dealing with non-conservative forces or when the motion is not confined to a single plane. It also requires knowledge of calculus and physics principles, making it more challenging for beginners to understand.