Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on inclined plane and two springs

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane connected to a wall with springs. The goal is to solve the problem using D'Alembert Principle and Lagrangian Dynamics. The system has only one generalized coordinate, y, and the kinematics of the problem must be carefully considered. There is not enough information given about the relaxed state of the springs, which affects the potential energy expression. A more complete kinematic analysis is needed, possibly using vector loop equations or their scalar equivalents.
elano Blumer

Homework Statement

A cylinder on a inclined plane is rolling without slipping. Inclined plane is connected to wall with a spring and cylinder is connected to wall with a spring too. All frictions will be neglected, and all the given data has shown on the image below.
upload_2014-10-29_0-11-47.png

As seen above, k2 spring and cylinder is only moving at vertical axis which can be thought as y.

First of all, i have doubts on generalized coordinates. I think only one generalized coordinate should be used and it should be y. I need to solve this problem with D'Alembert Principle and Lagrangian Dynamics.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. The attempt at a solution

in order to apply Lagrangian dynamics,

upload_2014-10-29_0-14-57.png

Does it look right or am i missing something about rotational kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy;

upload_2014-10-29_0-20-46.png

or
for x=x1 and y=x2

upload_2014-10-29_0-21-44.png

is second one right?

You are correct in saying that this system has only one degree of freedom.

It would be helpful if you would very carefully define your coordinates on the figure. Where is x = 0? Where is y = 0? You may also find it useful to define an "up-slope coordinate, s" as a secondary variable.

The biggest part of your difficulty right now is that you have not adequately dealt with the kinematics of this problem. This is very common, because everyone says, "oh, kinematics ... that's trivial," but it is not. It is what is causing most of your difficulty right now.

upload_2014-10-29_11-49-23.png

I can define our generalized coordinates like this. This graphic is designed for D!alembert principle.

In this situation our Lagrange eqn is;

upload_2014-10-29_11-53-3.png

and
upload_2014-10-29_11-53-38.png

we can write
upload_2014-10-29_11-56-48.png

then we can solve this problem,isnt it?

I think it is true.

Your equation says that x1 = 0 implies x2 = 0 also. Why is this true?

Exactly what does x1 measure? You show the left end of the arrow at the wall, but the right end is to what?

x2 reference is how far above the bottom of the ramp?

What is the relation between rotation of the disk and x1?

I think you still have not really dealt with the kinematics of the problem in a complete way. It will make your life much, much simpler if you do so.

Ohh.Sorry.. T is not equal the zero. You re right.
upload_2014-10-29_18-26-22.png

and
upload_2014-10-29_18-27-0.png

-x2 reference is how far above the bottom of the ramp?

I think it is not important. It defines cylinder's motion on vertival axis. If I say x2 ,It starts from O.

-What is the relation between rotation of the disk and x1?

upload_2014-10-29_18-30-45.png
and
upload_2014-10-29_18-31-16.png

and my answer is;

upload_2014-10-29_18-32-59.png

I think Lagrange equation is more simle method than others(D'alembert, Hamilton...etc) to solve this problem.

Actually, since there is only a single degree of freedom in this system, the Eksergian's equation is available and it is usually more simple than Lagrange, although they give the same result.

I think my result is exactly true.
Now I try to solve this problem with d'Alembert principle.
I hope that I will find same result.

Then I want to find natural frequency of the system. Finally when alpha=0, what is meaning?

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-29_20-23-26.png
    upload_2014-10-29_20-23-26.png
    406 bytes · Views: 520
Ohhh. Nooo. My result is a bit wrong. True result is;

upload_2014-10-29_20-36-53.png

NOT
upload_2014-10-29_20-37-37.png
İS WRONG.

I think you have an algebraic error in your original work; I have done a very similar analysis but got you last equation (sort of!).

This problem is not well posed in this respect: Nothing is given about the free length of the springs. For what values of x and y are the springs relaxed? You assumed (in your form for V) that both displacements were measured from the relaxed position, but his may violate the kinematic relations.

To be properly posed, the problem should specify the free length conditions (ie, values of x and y that make the springs relaxed).

Thanks for your helping.

But I don't understand your saying. What is your last solution? Can you write it here?

Oh, that would not be fair! You will learn a lot more if you puzzle this out yourself.

I suggest that you accept my observation that there is not enough information given about the relaxed state of the springs, and simply assume that there are values xo and yo that apply at the same system configuration for which both springs are relaxed. Based on that, re-formulate your potential energy expression.

In order to do this, you will have to do a more complete kinematic analysis than you have done thus far (as it appears to me). I suggest that you assume that the length of the base of the wedge is B and that the horizontal distance from the wall at left to the centerline of the vertical spring is C.

To do the kinematics, I strongly recommend that you employ vector loop equations, or better, their scalar equivalents.

Ok.

Related to Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on inclined plane and two springs

1. How does the angle of inclination affect the Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane with two springs?

The angle of inclination affects the potential energy of the system, which is a key component of the Lagrangian problem. As the angle increases, the potential energy also increases, resulting in a more complex problem with additional variables to consider.

2. What is the significance of the two springs in this problem?

The two springs represent the forces acting on the cylinder and play a crucial role in determining the equations of motion for the system. The stiffness and rest length of the springs can greatly affect the behavior of the system.

3. How is the Lagrangian approach used to solve this problem?

The Lagrangian approach uses the concept of generalized coordinates to simplify the problem and reduce it to a set of coupled differential equations. These equations can then be solved to determine the motion of the cylinder on the inclined plane.

4. Can the Lagrangian problem be extended to include friction or other external forces?

Yes, the Lagrangian approach can be extended to include any external forces, such as friction or air resistance. These forces can be incorporated into the equations of motion, making the problem more complex but also more realistic.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lagrangian problem of a cylinder on an inclined plane with two springs?

This problem has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics. It can be used to study the behavior of mechanical systems, analyze the stability of structures, and design control systems for robots and other machines.