How Do Lagrange Multipliers Optimize Ellipsoid Volume?

In summary, the problem is to find values for $a,b,c$ using Lagrange multipliers so that the volume of the given ellipsoid is minimized, with $\triangledown f$ representing the gradient of the volume function and $\triangledown g$ representing the gradient of the constraint function.
Dethrone
Use Lagrange multipliers to find $a,b,c$ so that the volume $V=\frac{4\pi}{3}abc$ of an ellipsoid $\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{z^2}{c^2}=1$, passing through the point $(1,2,1)$ is as small as possible.

I just need to make sure my setup is correct.
$\triangledown f=(\frac{4\pi}{3}bc,\frac{4\pi}{3}ac,\frac{4\pi}{3}ab)$
$\triangledown g=(-2/a^3, -8/b^3, -2/c^3)$.
Where, $\triangledown f=\lambda \triangledown g$

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
Use Lagrange multipliers to find $a,b,c$ so that the volume $V=\frac{4\pi}{3}abc$ of an ellipsoid $\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{z^2}{c^2}=1$, passing through the point $(1,2,1)$ is as small as possible.

I just need to make sure my setup is correct.
$\triangledown f=(\frac{4\pi}{3}bc,\frac{4\pi}{3}ac,\frac{4\pi}{3}ab)$
$\triangledown g=(-2/a^3, -8/b^3, -2/c^3)$.
Where, $\triangledown f=\lambda \triangledown g$

Hey Rido! ;)

Looks good to me! (Nod)

Related to How Do Lagrange Multipliers Optimize Ellipsoid Volume?

1. What is a Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid?

A Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid is a mathematical concept used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. It is a geometric representation of the Lagrange Multiplier method, which uses a set of equations to find the optimal values of variables in a multivariable function.

2. How is a Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid different from a regular ellipsoid?

A regular ellipsoid is defined by a set of coordinates and has a fixed shape and size. A Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid, on the other hand, is a mathematical construct that varies in size and shape depending on the constraints of the optimization problem. It is used to find the optimal values of variables that satisfy these constraints.

3. What are the applications of Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid?

Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid has a wide range of applications in various fields, including economics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in optimization problems, such as finding the best production level in economics, determining the optimal trajectory for a spacecraft, and maximizing the efficiency of a chemical reaction.

4. How is a Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid calculated?

The Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid is calculated using a set of equations known as the Lagrange Multiplier method. These equations involve taking the gradient of the objective function and the constraint functions and setting them equal to each other. The resulting equations are then solved to find the optimal values of the variables.

5. Can a Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid have multiple solutions?

Yes, a Lagrange Multiplier Ellipsoid can have multiple solutions, depending on the constraints of the optimization problem. In some cases, there may be multiple points on the ellipsoid that satisfy the constraints and give the optimal value of the objective function. These points are known as the Lagrange Multipliers and can be found by solving the equations derived from the Lagrange Multiplier method.