Korean MIT Acceptees: Share Your Application Story

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about Korean students applying to MIT and their acceptance rates. The conversation also touches on the competitiveness of admissions for international students and the number of Korean students currently enrolled at MIT. One participant also suggests looking into a Korean student association at MIT for more information.
maruhan2
Any Korean here applied to MIT and got accepted?

I'm applying next year and need some advice

I would like to know what you guys' GPA and SAT was and what ur extra curricular (including volunteer and working) was

It would be great to see what u guys wrote for your application essay

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
holy crap. That's so much less than I thought

Admissions of international students to top US universities is extremely competitive.

There's only 18 undergrads but 252 graduate students. That's quite a lot compared to the other foreign countries.

I know but still the number's a shock
in a 4000 student undergrad, only 20 koreans?
That's worse than the high school I'm in right now! we have more than 20 koreans with about 500 students

Hang on... are you a Korean living in Korea, or Korean-American? There are only 20 of the former, but I imagine that there are many more of the latter...

Anyway, posting here is looking for a needle in a haystack. You might want to look at http://web.mit.edu/ksa/www/.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a korean but not in korea. I'm studying in the US right now, but I am a Korean citizen, so I belong to the former

Related to Korean MIT Acceptees: Share Your Application Story

1. What made you want to apply to MIT?

I have always been interested in pursuing a career in science and technology, and MIT has a well-established reputation for being one of the top universities in this field. I was also attracted to the innovative and hands-on approach to learning at MIT, as well as the diverse and collaborative community it fosters.

2. What was the most challenging part of the application process?

The most challenging part of the application process was definitely the essays. MIT's application requires multiple essays, each with a unique prompt that required a lot of introspection and self-reflection. It was a time-consuming and difficult process, but it allowed me to showcase my personality and passions to the admissions committee.

3. Did you have any extracurricular activities or experiences that you think helped your application stand out?

Yes, I was heavily involved in various STEM-related extracurricular activities, such as robotics competitions and research projects. I also had a part-time job at a local tech company, which gave me hands-on experience in my field of interest. I believe these experiences helped demonstrate my passion and commitment to pursuing a career in science and technology.

4. How did you prepare for the standardized tests required for admission to MIT?

I spent a lot of time studying and taking practice tests for the SAT and SAT subject tests. I also took advantage of resources like prep books and online study materials. Additionally, I attended a test prep course to help me improve my test-taking strategies and increase my confidence.

5. What advice do you have for other students applying to MIT?

My advice would be to be genuine and authentic in your application. Share your true passions and experiences, even if they may seem unconventional. Also, don't be afraid to take risks and think outside the box in your essays and application materials. Lastly, make sure to start the process early and seek help and feedback from others, such as teachers, mentors, and admissions counselors.