Attempting to transfer to MIT (wishful thinking I know)

In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of being accepted into MIT as a transfer student with a physics major. The person asking the question wonders if being a physics major would give them a better chance of acceptance compared to other popular majors like engineering. The response states that being a physics major would not give any advantage and suggests looking at the school's transfer requirements. The conversation ends with the person mentioning the obvious transfer requirements for MIT and clarifying that they were not solely relying on being a physics major for acceptance.
circulos meos
Hello,

For a while now, I've been dreaming of attending MIT.

My question is: What would the sucessful transfer application of a physics major look like?

-would I have a better chance of acceptance based on the fact that physics is less common that say engineering?
-does high school stuff (sat,gpa,etc.)matter as much?
-how about research?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is very popular at MIT, there are around 70 or so physics majors per year. It would not give you any advantage to apply as a physics major.

radium said:
Physics is very popular at MIT, there are around 70 or so physics majors per year. It would not give you any advantage to apply as a physics major.
Damn. Well I figured that most transfer students would fall into the engineering categories and that maybe a physics major would be more rare. Either way, I suppose that was worth a shot.

Your best bet is to just go to the schools website and look at their transfer requirements. I doubt that wanting to do physics over engineering will increase your chances.

zAbso said:
Your best bet is to just go to the schools website and look at their transfer requirements. I doubt that wanting to do physics over engineering will increase your chances.
Their transfer requirements are pretty obvious. They would want over a 3.5 with various calc and physics courses. I wasn't attempting to bank on the physics major aspect entirely, I just figured I'd ask if it'd help a bit.

Related to Attempting to transfer to MIT (wishful thinking I know)

1. Can I transfer to MIT from any college?

Yes, MIT accepts transfer students from a variety of colleges and universities. However, the transfer process is highly competitive and not all applicants are accepted.

2. What are the requirements for transferring to MIT?

To transfer to MIT, you must have completed at least one year of full-time coursework at another accredited college or university. You must also have a strong academic record and demonstrate a passion for math, science, and engineering.

3. Are there any specific courses I need to have taken to transfer to MIT?

While there are no specific course requirements, it is recommended that transfer applicants have completed courses in calculus, physics, and chemistry. It is also beneficial to have taken advanced courses in your intended field of study.

4. Can I transfer to MIT in the middle of my undergraduate degree?

Yes, MIT does accept transfer students who have completed some of their undergraduate coursework. However, it is important to note that MIT does not accept transfer students into their junior year, so you may have to repeat some coursework if you transfer after your sophomore year.

5. How important are extracurricular activities for transferring to MIT?

Extracurricular activities are not a requirement for transferring to MIT, but they can strengthen your application. MIT looks for well-rounded individuals who have a passion for learning and making a positive impact in their community.