Kinematics problem -- Calculating where a dropped stone will hit a car

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of when a stone would hit the ground and determine if it would hit a moving car. The first equation gives a time of 1.10 seconds for the stone to hit the ground and the second equation calculates the horizontal position of the car when the stone was released. However, there is not enough information to accurately determine if the stone would hit the car. To improve precision, it is suggested to keep more digits or work algebraically until the final step. Additionally, the conversation mentions the need to calculate the vertical component of the stone's velocity.
physicslover12
Homework Statement
A dishonest woman Sues a poor innocent young man, claiming that he intentionally dropped (free fall) a stone from the top of a bridge which is 6.0 m above the ground, which damaged the trunk of her car. The complainant admits that she was driving at the maximum speed allowed of 100 km / h. You are called as an expert in this case (you are a physicist, right?). By making the necessary approximations, will you be able to save the young man ?
Relevant Equations
Y=Yo+vot+0,5a(t^2)
X=Vot+Xo
0=6-4.9(t^2)
0=-27,7t+Xo
From the first equation,
T= 1.10s
From the second equation,
(Xo/27,7)=t
0=6-4.9((Xo/27,7)^2)
We solve for Xo = 30,65
Now, we have
X=-27,7t+30,65
If t=1,10
Then , -27,7(1,10)+30,65=0,18 which is not equal to 0.
Which means the stone hits the ground first.
Is my answer correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you would say exactly what it is you are trying to show, your question would be easier to answer.

Likes Chestermiller and physicslover12
hutchphd said:
If you would say exactly what it is you are trying to show, your question would be easier to answer.
Hi , thank you for helping me. I am trying to show that the stone didn’t hit the woman‘s car by calculating when did the stone hit the ground x=0 and y=0 (free fall) ,and by using that time to see if the car was at x=0. ( I am really sorry my english is very limited)

I think your idea is part correct. Think about the shape of the car and where the stone is said to have hit.

Likes PhDeezNutz
There's not enough information here.
We are not told the height of the trunk, so knowing it is 6m from bridge to the ground is not helpful. Ok, so assume it means the drop to the top of the trunk is 6m.
Next, we don't know where the impact point on the car was (horizontally) when the stone was supposed to have been released. Alternatively, if we were told the length of the trunk and height of car roof above trunk we could calculate whether the stone was traveling fast enough to miss the roof but hit the trunk.

You calculated 1.10 s to drop that far, and how far the car moves in that time. You then found that same distance in a slightly different way, and because of the rounding errors got a difference of 0.18. I am at a loss to understand what you think that proves.
To improve precision, either keep more digits at each intermediate point or work algebraically until the last step, only plugging in numbers in one final calculation (allowing your calculator to carry lots of digits through). The algebraic approach has a lot of other benefits too.

You've correctly converted 100 km/h to 27.7 meters per second. That gives the horizontal component of the velocity of the stone relative to the moving car. Can you calculate an estimate for the vertical component?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion.

What is a dropped stone?

A dropped stone refers to an object that is released from a height and falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

How do you calculate where a dropped stone will hit a car?

To calculate where a dropped stone will hit a car, you need to use the equations of motion from kinematics, taking into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the distance traveled. You also need to consider the position and velocity of the car at the time the stone is dropped.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation?

The accuracy of the calculation can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape of the stone. The position and velocity of the car may also change during the stone's fall, which can affect the final result.

What are some real-life applications of kinematics?

Kinematics has many real-life applications, including predicting the trajectory of projectiles, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, and understanding the movement of fluids in pipes and channels. It is also used in sports science to analyze the motion of athletes and in robotics to program and control movements of robots.