Kinematics Problem Ball throwing

In summary, the conversation is about solving a projectile problem using a mirror trick to reduce it to a more standard problem. The person being asked for help approves of the work done and provides a figure for reference. The original problem is to find the horizontal range of a blue trajectory.
alingy1
Hi,

Could you please look at this problem in the picture and my steps?
(check my answer)

I do not have the solutions to the problem weirdly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 5.22.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 5.22.34 PM.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, alingy1. Your work looks good to me.

As a check, think of the wall as a mirror and reflect the second part of the trajectory to the other side of the wall. Use this trick to reduce the problem to a more standard projectile problem.

TSny, could you be more specific about your technique? It sounds really interesting but I'm not sure how the number crunching goes.

See the attached figure. Can you find the horizontal range of the blue trajectory?

Attachments

• Projectile 1.png
    Projectile 1.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 429
Likes 1 person
That makes perfect sense! Thanks.

Related to Kinematics Problem Ball throwing

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a ball thrown?

The initial velocity of a ball can be calculated using the equation v0 = d/t, where v0 is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken.

2. What is the equation for calculating the trajectory of a thrown ball?

The equation for calculating the trajectory of a thrown ball is y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)at2, where y is the height, y0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of a thrown ball?

Air resistance can affect the motion of a thrown ball by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, reducing its speed and changing its direction.

4. How do you determine the maximum height reached by a thrown ball?

The maximum height reached by a thrown ball can be determined by using the equation y = (v02sin2θ0)/2g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ0 is the angle of the throw, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How do you calculate the time of flight for a thrown ball?

The time of flight for a thrown ball can be calculated using the equation t = 2v0sinθ0/g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ0 is the angle of the throw, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.