Kinematics Formulas - Is the textbook right?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a hot-air balloonist is ascending while a passenger drops an object from the balloon. The object takes 15 seconds to strike the ground and assuming no wind resistance and a steady ascent of the balloon, the height of the balloon when the object hits the ground is calculated to be 1102.5 meters. However, there is confusion about whether this is the correct answer or not. Through calculations, it is determined that the book is correct and the height of the balloon when the object is dropped is indeed 1102.5 meters. The object is initially at rest with respect to the balloon, not the ground.
Procrastinate
Question: A hot-air balloonist is ascending vertically at 1.8m/s during a burn. At the same time, a passenger drops an object from the balloon and notes that the object takes 15s to strike the ground. At what height is the balloon when the object strikes the ground assuming g=0.8m/s/s, no wind resistance to the object's fall, and a steady ascent of the balloon.

I first found out the distance that the object dropped and calculated that to be be 1102.5m. Afterwards, I found out the distance that the balloon rose during that 15s which was 13.5m. I then added these two values together and got 1116m.

However, the answer says that it is 1102.5m but I thought that would have been the distance that the balloon was when the object dropped. Am I wrong or is the textbook wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The book is right. Show your work so we can help figure out where your mistake is.

h = gt^2/2 + v0 t

D H said:
The book is right. Show your work so we can help figure out where your mistake is.

u = o (at rest)
a = 9.8
s = ?
t = 15

s = ut + 1/2at^2

s = 1/2x9.8x15^2

s = 1102.5m

However, I am confused as I was calculating this under the impression that I had only calculated the distance the balloon was away from the ground at the start and I haven't factored in the other part of the equation where I have to calculate the distance of the balloon away from the ground after the object hits the ground.

Procrastinate said:
u = o (at rest)
The object is initially at rest with respect to the balloon, not the ground.

The book is right. It asks for the height right when the object is dopped which is 1102.5m.

Related to Kinematics Formulas - Is the textbook right?

1. What is kinematics and why is it important?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It is important because it helps us understand and describe the motion of objects in our everyday lives, as well as in more complex systems such as spacecraft and satellites.

2. How accurate are the kinematics formulas in the textbook?

The accuracy of the kinematics formulas in a textbook depends on the source and the level of complexity of the formulas. However, in general, these formulas are based on well-established laws of physics and have been tested and verified by countless experiments. Therefore, they can be considered to be highly accurate for most practical applications.

3. Can the kinematics formulas be used for all types of motion?

No, the kinematics formulas are only applicable for motion that is straight-line or uniform circular motion. For more complex types of motion, such as projectile motion or motion with changing acceleration, different formulas and equations are needed.

4. Do I need to memorize all the kinematics formulas?

It is helpful to have a basic understanding of the kinematics formulas and their applications, but it is not necessary to memorize all of them. In most cases, you will have access to a formula sheet or can easily look up the formulas when needed. It is more important to understand the concepts behind the formulas and how to apply them correctly.

5. Can the kinematics formulas be used to predict the future motion of an object?

Yes, the kinematics formulas can be used to predict the future motion of an object, as long as the initial conditions, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, are known. However, there are limitations to this prediction as it assumes constant acceleration and does not take into account external forces that may affect the motion of the object.