Kinematics Involving Ball, What did I do wrong?

The initial velocity is the velocity at the end of phase 1, and the initial position is the position at the end of phase 1.In summary, the rocket will experience an acceleration of 3.5g for 4.3 seconds, then burn out. The maximum height it will reach is 317.1035m and the total time from launch until the rocket returns to the ground is approximately 12.35 seconds. When calculating the time for phase 2, the initial position should be the position at the end of phase 1 and the initial velocity should be the velocity at the end of phase 1.
dantechiesa

Homework Statement

Your cousin has built a model rocket that she wishes to launch in your backyard. You're a little worried by this, and ask her for details.
She tells you, when I launch the rocket straight upwards, the acceleration will be 3.5g = (3.5*9.8m/s^2) for 4.3 seconds, then burn out.
A) What is the max height the rocket will reach
and specifically, what I need help with, what will the time from launch until the rocket returns to the ground.

Homework Equations

V^2 = V0^2 +2ad
d = v0t + .5at^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So, what I am having trouble with is calculating the time the rocket spends in the air after its acceleration fuel burns out (after 4.3 seconds)

Phase 1: the initial 4.3 seconds
Phase 2: the remaining time it spends in the air
Phase 3: the rocket falls to the ground.

Right when the first phase ends, I was able to calculate its
Vf = 147.49m/s^2 (subsequently is the V0 for phase 2)
d = 317.1035m and phase 2 distance = 1102.5m

However, when I try to calculate time, the quadratic formula isn't giving the correct time.
I input into my calculator
1102.5 = 147.49t - 4.9t^2
0 = -4.9t^2 + 147.49 - 1102.5
This is giving 2 positive roots.
What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
dantechiesa said:
phase 2 distance = 1102.5m
I assume this is the additional distance the object rises.

To solve for the total time after the rocket burns out, consider the initial and final positions for that segment of the motion.

dantechiesa said:

Homework Statement

Your cousin has built a model rocket that she wishes to launch in your backyard. You're a little worried by this, and ask her for details.
She tells you, when I launch the rocket straight upwards, the acceleration will be 3.5g = (3.5*9.8m/s^2) for 4.3 seconds, then burn out.
A) What is the max height the rocket will reach
and specifically, what I need help with, what will the time from launch until the rocket returns to the ground.

Homework Equations

V^2 = V0^2 +2ad
d = v0t + .5at^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So, what I am having trouble with is calculating the time the rocket spends in the air after its acceleration fuel burns out (after 4.3 seconds)

Phase 1: the initial 4.3 seconds
Phase 2: the remaining time it spends in the air
Phase 3: the rocket falls to the ground.

Right when the first phase ends, I was able to calculate its
Vf = 147.49m/s^2 (subsequently is the V0 for phase 2)
d = 317.1035m and phase 2 distance = 1102.5m

However, when I try to calculate time, the quadratic formula isn't giving the correct time.
I input into my calculator
1102.5 = 147.49t - 4.9t^2
0 = -4.9t^2 + 147.49 - 1102.5
This is giving 2 positive roots.
What have I done wrong?

Hmmm. I'm a fellow student wanting to help out!

What i did was treat the second phase's initial y velocity as 0 because the rocket "burns out" which means its velocity is 0. With the distance being 317.1035 and initial velocity being 0 and the acceleration is positive 9.8 m/s^2, i calculated t=8.04 secs for the second phase. time for phase1 + phase 2 = 12.35 seconds.

I'm am not entirely sure if that's right though!

Lori said:
What i did was treat the second phase's initial y velocity as 0 because the rocket "burns out" which means its velocity is 0.

Not quite so. At burnout the rocket has the altitude and velocity attained to that point. So the post-burn motion starts with a nonzero position and a nonzero velocity.

Related to Kinematics Involving Ball, What did I do wrong?

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a ball?

To calculate the initial velocity of a ball, you need to know the distance the ball traveled, the time it took to travel that distance, and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for initial velocity is V0 = (d - 0.5gt2) / t, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance when studying kinematics involving a ball?

Displacement is the straight line distance between the initial and final position of the ball, while distance is the total path length traveled by the ball. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not. For example, if a ball travels in a circle and ends up back at its initial position, the displacement is 0, but the distance traveled is the circumference of the circle.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of a ball?

Air resistance can significantly affect the motion of a ball, especially at higher speeds. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down. This force is proportional to the speed of the ball and the density of the air. As a result, the ball's acceleration decreases over time, leading to a shorter total distance traveled and a lower final velocity.

4. Can the angle of release affect the trajectory of a ball?

Yes, the angle of release can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a ball. The angle determines the initial direction of the ball's motion and can affect both its vertical and horizontal displacement. For example, a ball released at a higher angle will have a higher peak height and a longer flight time compared to a ball released at a lower angle.

5. How can I calculate the maximum height and time of flight for a ball?

To calculate the maximum height, you can use the formula h = (V02sin2θ) / 2g, where V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The time of flight can be calculated using the formula t = 2V0sinθ / g. These calculations assume no air resistance and a flat surface for the ball to bounce off of.