Kinematics equation problem. (two stones dropped from different heights)

In summary, the problem involves two identical stones being dropped from different heights and the time it takes for them to reach the ground. Using kinematic equations, it is determined that the time for stone B to reach the ground is 2 times the square root of t. When solving the equation, the height is proportional to t^2 and when the height is doubled, the time is multiplied by the square root of 2. It is recommended to use separate threads for different types of physics problems.
Sentience

Homework Statement

Two identical stones are dropped from rest and feel no air resistance as they fall. Stone A is dropped from height h, and stone B is dropped from height 2h. If stone A takes time t to reach the ground, stone B will take time:

a. 2t
b. t/2
c. 4t
d. t /(square root of t)
e. 2 * (Square root of t)

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vo*t + .5at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is e, 2 times square root of t. My teacher hinted that I use one of the kinematic equations and solve for 2h using 2t. However, because this is a generic problem, I'm not really sure how to go about it. It's got to be the 1st for the 3rd equation, I'm don't feel like I have enough information. Any advice/hints/answers would be appreciated.

Also, if I have other physics questions about different kinds of problems (say vectors or acceleration) should I just make one thread containing them all or separate threads?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sentience said:
d. t /(square root of t)
e. 2 * (Square root of t)

Please check your problem sheet here - these two are not sensible options (as the square root of a time is not a time - how long is the square root of a second?). Are you sure it doesn't say something like (square root of 2) * t?

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vo*t + .5at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

Well, these aren't all as relevant as each other. What do you know and what are you trying to find out? (In this context saying, e.g., the height is "h" counts as "knowing" it.)

Also, if I have other physics questions about different kinds of problems (say vectors or acceleration) should I just make one thread containing them all or separate threads?

Separate threads keep things simpler.

Answers d and e should read:

d. t / (square root of 2)

e. t * (square root of 2)

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Not at all - I was concerned you might have confused yourself! :-)

Ok, looking at equation number 2, the change in position is h. Since it's from rest initial velocity * t cancels to zero, leaving me with h = 4.9m/s^2 * t^2. Here is where I'm stuck.

That looks like a good start to me. So you know that h is proportional to t^2. If we now double h, we need to double the right-hand side of the equation too... so what would that mean we do to t?

Last edited:
When I solve for t, I have h divided by 4.9m/s^2 all under a radical.

If I made h 2h instead, on the time side I would have to multiply t by root 2 to obey the rules of algebra.

Is this good reasoning?

Absolutely - well done.

Thanks for the help modulated.

Related to Kinematics equation problem. (two stones dropped from different heights)

1. What is the equation for calculating the time it takes for two stones to drop from different heights?

The equation for calculating the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How do you find the velocity of the stones after they have been dropped?

The velocity of an object after being dropped can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

3. Can the kinematics equations be used to calculate the position of the stones at any given time?

Yes, the kinematics equations can be used to calculate the position of an object at any given time. The equation for position is x = x₀ + v₀t + ½at², where x is the position, x₀ is the initial position, v₀ is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

4. How can you determine which stone will hit the ground first?

The stone with the higher initial height will hit the ground first, assuming they are dropped at the same time. This is because it will take longer for the stone with the lower initial height to accelerate to the same velocity as the stone with the higher initial height.

5. Are there any factors that could affect the accuracy of the calculations using the kinematics equations?

Yes, there are some factors that could affect the accuracy of the calculations. These include air resistance, which can slow down the acceleration of the stones, and the assumption that the acceleration due to gravity is constant, which may not be true in some scenarios.