Ketones behaviour towards isomerism?

• Thread starter hira123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    isomerism
In summary, the conversation discusses the conflicting information about whether higher ketones show metamerism due to larger substituents or regardless of their size. The speaker also suggests considering the differences between propanone, butanone, and pentanones to better understand this concept. They also mention the importance of following forum rules to avoid getting banned.
hira123
In an article I read that higher ketones show metamerism because of larger substituents but still other websites reveal that they show metamerism irrespective if lower or higher? help please
thanks
i hope mr. borek don't find fault with it now kindly...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I told you to consider the differences between propanone, butanone and pentanones. There is only one propanone and butanone, but several ketones containing five carbon atoms (and many more isomers of every ketone containing more carbons). Try to draw them and see for yourself why it is the case.

You have again posted in a wrong forum, plus, what you did now counts as a crosspost, you should post in the old thread. You were told several times to read the forum rules, you are still not following them. I don't want to ban you, but with each post you are leaving me with less and less options. From now on your every post not following the rules will be deleted.

Related to Ketones behaviour towards isomerism?

1. What is isomerism and how does it apply to ketones?

Isomerism is the phenomenon in which molecules with the same molecular formula have different structures. In the case of ketones, isomerism occurs due to the different positions of the carbonyl group within the molecule.

2. What are the two types of isomerism in ketones?

The two types of isomerism in ketones are structural isomerism and stereoisomerism. Structural isomers have the same molecular formula but different structural arrangements, while stereoisomers have the same structural formula but differ in the spatial arrangement of their atoms.

3. How does the number of carbon atoms in a ketone affect its isomerism?

The number of carbon atoms in a ketone can affect its isomerism by changing the types of isomers that are possible. For example, a ketone with three carbon atoms can only have structural isomers, while a ketone with four or more carbon atoms can have both structural and stereoisomers.

4. Can ketones exhibit geometric isomerism?

No, ketones cannot exhibit geometric isomerism. This is because the carbon atom in the carbonyl group is bonded to two other groups, making it unable to rotate and form different geometric isomers.

5. How do ketones with different isomers behave differently in chemical reactions?

Ketones with different isomers can behave differently in chemical reactions due to the differences in their structures. This can affect their reactivity and the types of products formed. For example, a ketone with a branched chain may react differently than one with a straight chain due to steric hindrance.