Kepler's third law implies force proportional to mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that asks to show how Kepler's third law, \tau = a^{3/2}, implies that the force on a planet is proportional to its mass. The conversation includes various hints and attempts at solving the problem, including using equations for period, mean distance, and force. However, the participants are unsure of how to approach the problem and reach the desired conclusion.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

Show that Kepler's third law, [itex]\tau = a^{3/2}[/itex], implies that the force on a planet is proportional to its mass.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I haven't really attempted anything. I'm not sure what the question is going for. What can we assume and use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You are given T^2 = k a^3 where T = period, k = constant, a = mean distance
Also, you know F = m v^2 / a
The trick is to eliminate v (how does this relate to T and a?)

Well in this question a is the semi-major axis. The book tells me (without proof) that [itex]a[/itex] is also the median distance.

I'm not sure why you said [itex] F = mv^2/a[/itex] when [itex] mv^2/r[/itex] is just the centripetal acceleration, and only equal to the force in the case of a circular orbit, right?

in my point of view, the question start by asking you to show, therefore you should start with the derivation/proof for Kepler's third law.
hint: Kepler third law is about the orbits of planets, so think of any equations that applicable to the orbit of a planet.

Ok well the derivation of Kepler's third law requires knowing the expressions for the semi-major axis and semi-minor axis which also requires Kepler's first law. The derivation also makes use of Kepler's second law.

i think it is safe to assume the mean distance of an elliptical orbit = [ (semi major + semi minor )/2 ] , is approximately equal to the radius of a circular orbit. hence, F=mv2/r or mv2/a is applicable.

In that case the problem is a bit too easy I think, assuming I've done it correctly. If we are assuming the orbit is nearly circular so that [itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] is near zero then [tex] F = m \omega^2 r = \frac{m4 \pi^2 r}{\tau^2} = \frac{m 4 \pi^2 r}{k^2r^3} = \frac{m 4 \pi^2}{k^2r^2}[/tex]

This is not really what they want I think.

i don't think you can substitutes t2 = k2r3, because that's what they want to show, so you should have a series of steps which finally leads to t= a2/3.

another hint: derivation of Kepler's third law start with F=mv2/r , or any equivalent formula for centripetal force, due to it's a circular orbit. and F=GMm/r2 due to force of attraction between 2 celestial object. work on the two equation.

Dazed&Confused said:
In that case the problem is a bit too easy I think, assuming I've done it correctly. If we are assuming the orbit is nearly circular so that [itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] is near zero then [tex] F = m \omega^2 r = \frac{m4 \pi^2 r}{\tau^2} = \frac{m 4 \pi^2 r}{k^2r^3} = \frac{m 4 \pi^2}{k^2r^2}[/tex]

This is not really what they want I think.

Well, if Kepler's laws hold for any ellipical orbit, then they must hold for a circlular orbit; and, as a circle is symmetric, there must be constant speed; and, as the speed is constant, you can derive the force equation. QED

Likes Dazed&Confused
yihloong said:
i don't think you can substitutes t2 = k2r3, because that's what they want to show, so you should have a series of steps which finally leads to t= a2/3.

another hint: derivation of Kepler's third law start with F=mv2/r , or any equivalent formula for centripetal force, due to it's a circular orbit. and F=GMm/r2 due to force of attraction between 2 celestial object. work on the two equation.

I think the question is asking to do the opposite, to start from Kepler's third law and end up with the force equation.

oh, then i must be misunderstanding the question

1. What is Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law is a mathematical relationship between the orbital period and the average distance of a planet from the sun. It states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun.

2. How does Kepler's third law relate to force?

Kepler's third law implies that there is a force acting on a planet that keeps it in its orbit. This force is proportional to the mass of the planet and the distance from the sun.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law is significant because it helped to establish the laws of planetary motion and provided evidence for the heliocentric model of the solar system. It also laid the foundation for Newton's law of universal gravitation.

4. How is Kepler's third law used in astrophysics?

Astrophysicists use Kepler's third law to calculate the masses and distances of planets, moons, and other objects in our solar system and beyond. It is also used to study the dynamics of binary star systems and determine the masses of stars.

5. Are there any exceptions to Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law is a general rule that applies to most planetary systems. However, it may not hold true for objects that are very close to the sun or for objects with highly elliptical orbits. Additionally, the presence of other massive objects in a system may affect the accuracy of the law.