How Does Force Scale with Radius in Orbital Motion?

In summary, the particle in circular orbit is experiencing an attractive force F towards its center of the orbit. The force scales with radius r according to the equation F = arp.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

a. A particle in circular orbit is experiencing an attractive force F towards its center of the orbit. It its period T scales as rn, where r is the radius of the orbit, how does the force scale with radius r? That is, find p in the relation F = arp, where a is an arbitrary constant.

b. Find n and p corresponding to the circulation motion under gravitational force and verify keplers third law.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a. for P and I guess that's apparently not what the question it asking for according to my professor who created this problem. I know how to verify Keplers third law for b., don't really know what n and p are supposed to represent or anything. scaling factors? the exponent for r?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes (p for F and n for T)

Likes Vitani11
Okay, but I solved for P. What am I supposed to be doing that is not solving for P even though it says find P?

I just get something natural log of F/a with base r equal to P.

What did you find and what do you know about the gravitational force ?

Likes Vitani11
Found that the lnr(F/a) = P and I know the force falls off as 1/r2. I'm not sure what to do with that information.

I plugged in gravitational force for F.. my problem is that I always thought P was 2 because that's just in the equation for gravitational force.

The exercise for (a) starts with: ##T## scales as ##r^n## and asks what that yields for p. There should be some dependence on ##n## in that expression. How come you don't have that ? Can you show your steps in detail ?

Then, for (b) you fill in the ##p=2## that you know for gravity and deduct what the value of the corresponding ##n## is.

Likes Vitani11
F = arp
F/a = rp
ln(F/a) = pln(r)
p = ln(F/a)/ln(r)
p = lnr(F/a)

I know that for Force the period is 1/T2 for gravitational force. I mean that doesn't really mean anything but that is the relationship.

Vitani11 said:
p = lnr(F/a)
No. There is a dependence on ##n## that you are leaving out. You are not using the fact that these orbits are circular.

Vitani11 said:
I know that for Force the period is 1/T2 for gravitational force
No. The period is simply T

Likes Vitani11
Still don't understand. There is no n in the equation, and I guess I have a massive gap in my knowledge. I guess I'll just not get this one. Thank you anyway and sorry for my stupidity.

Vitani11 said:
A particle in circular orbit is experiencing an attractive force F towards its center of the orbit
What force is needed to maintain a circular orbit ? Gives you a relationship with ##v##. What provides that force ?

There is also a relationship between ##v## and ##T##. Given that ##T\propto r^n## that helps you to find ##p## in ##F_{\rm grav}\propto r^p##.

The template doesn't have a section "2. Homework Equations " for nothing. Very useful in your case.

Vitani11 said:
Thank you anyway
you're welcome. That's what we're here for.
and sorry for my stupidity.
Don't say that. You're not stupid and even if you were you wouldn't need to apologize for that.

Related to How Does Force Scale with Radius in Orbital Motion?

1. How does force scale with distance?

The force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force between them decreases.

2. What is the relationship between force and distance?

The relationship between force and distance is known as an inverse square law. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force between them decreases at a proportional rate.

3. Does force increase or decrease with distance?

Force decreases as distance increases. This is because the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How does force change as distance increases?

As distance increases, force decreases. This means that the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the force between them will be.

5. How does the force scaling factor change with distance?

The force scaling factor, also known as the gravitational constant, remains constant regardless of distance. This means that the force between two objects will always follow the same inverse square law, no matter how far apart they are.