Journals suitable for undegraduates

• Thread starter neworder1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journals
In summary, Zz recommends reading Physics Today and Physics World, and if a certain research highlight catches your eye then be adventurous and check out the original publication. Physics publications in Science and Nature magazine are also nice because they have the research summaries which present the publications material in a more digestible format.
neworder1
I study mathematics, physics and computer science at university ((interested mostly in theoretical aspects)), and I thought of reading some scientific journals during the summer, to actually see some non-textbook science and know something more than what I've been taught in classes and textbooks (2 years at univeristy don't give you any "feel" about what doing research is like). I suppose that most publications in serious journals are too difficult to understand for an undegraduate (I'll be 3rd year now), but maybe you know some that would be suitable for a student?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that Physical Review Letters is a good choice then. This journal contains review articles about different areas of Physics.
Maybe you your university have an online subscription?

Oh no, PRL is NOT suitable for that level. If anything, PRL is way too compact and thus, assume that the reader is very familiar with the area of study being presented. It certainly does not contain "review" articles.

I would recommend Physics Today and Physics World, which present timely articles in the active areas of physics that is understandable for an undergraduate and experts alike. I would also recommend reading Am. J. of Phys. and Eur. J. of Phys. since many articles published there are pedagogical in nature. There is also the http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/scied/JUR.html" that presents work done by undergraduates.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second ZapperZ comments. Read through Physics Today and Physics World, and if a certain research highlight catches your eye then be adventurous and check out the original publication. Physics publications in Science and Nature magazine are also nice because they have the research summaries which present the publications material in a more digestible format.
An even easier format is the http://focus.aps.org/". These are selected PRL articles which are rewritten for an undergrad-type audience. My only complaint is that not enough of the PRL articles are "translated" into this format.

That being said, there is a value to starting to familiarize yourself with how modern research publications look like. One of the best ways to do this is through a directed reading or a journal club. Some schools have this sort of program setup for undergraduates. If not, start one yourself, or just find a professor or grad student who'd be willing to work with you through some articles.

I recommend http://scitation.aip.org/ajp/ . It has many educational papers.
Go to SEARCH -> All Online Issues and search for a topic. Type for example "student" and "quantum" into the search boxes (set to "Abstract/Title/Keywords") and many interesting papers pop up.

I don't think that the way to go is to just pick up a journal and start reading - unless it's something like Physics Today or Nature. Most peer-reviewed journal articles are written in such a way that you need a solid foundation in the subfield to really appreciate what the article covers - something you don't neccessarily have at the undergraduate level. Not to mention, reading a journal cover-to-cover would make for some pretty dry reading.

Once you're interested in a particular topic it's best to use a literature search engine like PUBMED or Google Scholar to dig up the relevant articles. You can browse through the abstracts and try to get a feel for the problems that are currently under investigation in that area. This can also help you if you decide on further academic endeavours. Unfortunately I've seen too many graduate students enter a program who rely on their supervisors to do an in-depth literature search only to find out that the particular project they're working on has already been published.

eys_physics said:
I think that Physical Review Letters is a good choice then. This journal contains review articles about different areas of Physics.

As Zz noted, PRL does not contain that type of article. However, Reviews of Modern Physics does. Maybe that's the journal you were thinking of.

jtbell said:
As Zz noted, PRL does not contain that type of article. However, Reviews of Modern Physics does. Maybe that's the journal you were thinking of.

Although, more complete, Review of Modern Physics articles require that the reader have a more than undergrad level of knowledge to be useful. I'm nor saying not to read it, but you have to fill in more gaps than most people who do not work in the area are really able to do.

American Journal of Physics is the best, also The Physics Teacher is a good journal for the undergrad.

IMO a nice place to start would be the Annual Review series. It has different science/engineering collections which contains articles in different sub-fields. Those articles are expected to be read by non-professional, and may be suitable for an interested-UG. If an article there really interest you, then follow the references to target some journals. I bet you should find them interesting also. :)

Related to Journals suitable for undegraduates

1. What are some good journals for undergraduate students to publish in?

There are many reputable journals that are suitable for undergraduate students to publish in, such as the Journal of Undergraduate Research, the Undergraduate Journal of Psychology, and the Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research. It is important to do some research and find a journal that aligns with your field of study and research interests.

2. How can I determine if a journal is suitable for undergraduate students?

A good way to determine if a journal is suitable for undergraduate students is to look at the types of articles that are published in the journal. If it regularly publishes articles written by undergraduate students and has a section dedicated to undergraduate research, it is likely a good fit. Additionally, you can also check the journal's website or contact the editor directly to inquire about their submission guidelines for undergraduate authors.

3. Are there any specific criteria that undergraduate journals look for in submissions?

Each journal may have slightly different criteria for submissions, but in general, undergraduate journals are looking for high-quality research that demonstrates critical thinking and originality. They may also look for evidence of faculty mentorship and a strong theoretical framework for the research.

4. Can undergraduate students co-author with faculty in these journals?

Yes, many undergraduate journals allow for co-authorship between students and faculty members. This can be a great way for students to gain experience working with more experienced researchers and to strengthen their research skills. However, it is important for the student to be the primary author and contributor to the research.

5. Are there any fees associated with publishing in undergraduate journals?

Some undergraduate journals may have a small submission or publication fee, but many do not. It is important to carefully read the submission guidelines for each journal to determine if there are any fees. Additionally, some universities may have funding available to cover publication fees for undergraduate students.