Join the Physics Community: A Young Scientist's Journey from the UK to the US

• Thread starter Khlaar
  • Start date
In summary, the physicist was inspired to pursue their career due to a fascination with the natural world and a desire to understand its underlying mechanisms. Moving from the UK to the US presented challenges such as adjusting to a new culture and academic system. The physicist got involved in the physics community through networking events, research groups, and outreach programs. They advise young scientists to seek out opportunities to learn and find a mentor, and not to be discouraged by setbacks. The future of physics is seen to continue to impact society through advancements in technology and our understanding of the world.
Khlaar
Sorry if there's an intro section, if there is I missed it. Anyway, hi, my name is Marcus, I'm 16 and from the UK, recently chose Physics and Maths as AS-levels. Got 7A*s and 4As at GCSE, which is pretty good I guess! A* in physics, A in maths which is hopefully going up after a remark. So, is this forum American dominated, or is there a good UK community here? I'm not sure I'll carry them both onto A2, but whatever, so here's to a couple of years fun :-p

I switched to physics from the "dark side", by the way. For some odd reason I had chosen a pathetic little subject called "English Literature", where people sit around reading crap and discussing things that the author didn't actually intend to do.. literally 1 lesson of that, and I had had enough

Physics news on Phys.org
Khlaar said:
Sorry if there's an intro section, if there is I missed it. Anyway, hi, my name is Marcus, I'm 16 and from the UK, recently chose Physics and Maths as AS-levels. Got 7A*s and 4As at GCSE, which is pretty good I guess! A* in physics, A in maths which is hopefully going up after a remark. So, is this forum American dominated, or is there a good UK community here? I'm not sure I'll carry them both onto A2, but whatever, so here's to a couple of years fun :-p

I switched to physics from the "dark side", by the way. For some odd reason I had chosen a pathetic little subject called "English Literature", where people sit around reading crap and discussing things that the author didn't actually intend to do.. literally 1 lesson of that, and I had had enough

Hi Marcus,
welcome to the forum ! Yes, I think one might say it is US dominated - but I have occasionally mentioned that I am from Germany, and nothing bad has happened to me yet *knock on wood* So with the special relationship between your countries you should be safe here... EDIT: Just to stay on the safe side, you should perhaps not start threads like "We should have hanged all that stinkin rebels back in 1775 !" :biggrin:

As for the switch from the dark side (no need for quotation marks here): Good Man, maximum respect ! :approve:

Last edited:
Hello marcus. There are a few Brits around here, me included. The mentors cristo and Hootenanny are British. The forum however mainly populated by Americans.

Hope you find the forums useful and congrats on the great GCSE results.

Kurdt said:
The forum however mainly populated by Americans.

You refer to numbers, not quality, aren't you? :wink:

There is also a tiny belgian group. Very tiny indeed... Although I'm not sure if Belgium is a country or not. ;-)

Anyway, welcome on PF.

Kurdt said:
Hello marcus. There are a few Brits around here, me included. The mentors cristo and Hootenanny are British.

Yup, plenty of Brits knocking around, don't be afraid of those American folk though, some of them may try and smack you with fish.. hey, I didn't say they weren't strange! :biggrin:

American dominated, that's funny. Yes, some biscuit eating British riff raff snuck in while we were sleeping and no matter what we do we can't seem to get rid of them. :-p

Welcome to the forum, you will find the people here friendly and helpful.

Thanks all. Does anyone know if there are any people doing AS/A2 Physics or Maths here?

Yes there are a few users doing As and A2 courses but they tend to be casual users of the homework forums only. _Mayday_ is an exception. There will be a couple of others that I don't know of.

Hey Khlaar! I hope you like it here. :biggrin:

TeTeC said:
There is also a tiny belgian group. Very tiny indeed... Although I'm not sure if Belgium is a country or not. ;-)

Anyway, welcome on PF.

viva la Belgique!

ummm... Actually I'm one of the more confused cases. I'm from South Africa, but live in Vlaanderen (Flemish speaking part of Belgium) and have a British passport, 'cos my dad's a Brit.

So... Tally ho and pip pip and all that and welcome to PF.

Tally ho, thanks chap.

First physics lesson today, lol, vectors/scalars, working out the magnitude and direction of forces, lots of fun of course :-p

Hello and welcome. I'm sure you will be able to make yourself right at home here. It looks like someone already mentioned fish. By the way, do you have a favorite fish?

Last edited:
Evo said:
American dominated, that's funny. Yes, some biscuit eating British riff raff snuck in while we were sleeping and no matter what we do we can't seem to get rid of them. :-p
Yeah - we have some those biscuit hooligans. :biggrin: I've heard they even dip their cookies in milk. :bugeye:

Welcome to the forum, you will find the people here friendly and helpful, as Evo mentioned.

Khlaar said:
Tally ho, thanks chap.

First physics lesson today, lol, vectors/scalars, working out the magnitude and direction of forces, lots of fun of course :-p

Good to hear this, obviously you were lucky and the single English Literature lesson you took did not cause permanent damage to your brain :biggrin:

Related to Join the Physics Community: A Young Scientist's Journey from the UK to the US

1. What inspired you to become a physicist?

I have always been fascinated by the natural world and how everything around us follows certain laws and principles. As I grew older, I became more interested in understanding the underlying mechanisms behind these phenomena, which led me to pursue a career in physics.

2. What challenges did you face during your journey from the UK to the US?

The biggest challenge I faced was adjusting to a new culture and way of life. Moving to a different country meant leaving behind my family and friends, and having to adapt to a new academic system and environment. Additionally, there were also logistical challenges such as obtaining a visa and finding housing.

3. How did you get involved in the physics community in the US?

I got involved in the physics community through various networking events and conferences. I also joined a research group at my university and participated in outreach programs, which allowed me to meet and collaborate with other physicists and researchers.

4. What advice do you have for young scientists looking to pursue a career in physics?

My advice would be to never be afraid to ask questions and seek out opportunities to learn and grow. It's also important to find a mentor or advisor who can guide you and provide support throughout your journey. Lastly, don't be discouraged by setbacks and failures, as they are a natural part of the learning process.

5. How do you see the future of physics evolving and impacting society?

I believe that physics will continue to play a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the world and driving technological advancements. From renewable energy to quantum computing, the potential applications of physics are endless and will greatly impact society in the years to come.