From Biology to Physics: A High School Teacher's Journey in Science Education

• Thread starter MsMoser
  • Start date
In summary, a high school teacher shares their journey in science education, starting with a degree in biology and transitioning to teaching physics due to demand in the field. Along the way, the teacher faced challenges such as keeping up with advancements in technology and adapting teaching methods to engage students. They also emphasize the importance of making science accessible and relevant to all students, regardless of their background or future career plans. The teacher ultimately finds fulfillment in helping students discover their passion for science and inspiring the next generation of scientists.
MsMoser
Hello. I teach high school physics in a (relatively) small rural school in northeast Ohio (we are the Appalachian edge of the midwestern US).

My BS is in biology with a chem minor and I worked in environmental resource planning for a number of years before going back to get a masters in education and teaching credential. My teaching license is "integrated science", meaning I am qualified to teach any science grades 7-12 (I did have to take additional undergraduate course work in geology and physics).

Biology was always my great love and I started off teaching biology, then got physical science (a general science type course for freshman composed of 1/3 "baby" physics, 1/3 "baby" chemistry, and 1/3 "baby" Earth science). 2 years into teaching we had a retirement and I was asked to teach chemistry. I felt unprepared, but quickly grew to (really) love it. Then 6 years ago, due to changes in the state qualification rules, I became the only person in my department qualified (on paper) to teach physics. So, physics it was. I did not take high school physics, and always felt like I was behind the curve in college physics (due largely to the lack of preparation). My math is very solid (up through calc 2), but I never felt able to apply it to the physics.

After teaching physics for a few years I finally felt able to say I understood it. Now, 6 years on, I feel that I can say I am a good physics teacher (not great yet, that is my goal!). I joined the forum to have a pool of physics professionals to query and to learn from.

Likes NascentOxygen
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MsMoser. :welcome:

Self-directed study brings its own reward, and it sounds like to become a well-rounded senior science teacher you have done more learning outside of university than within.

Congratulations!
tiphat.gif