James Randi Offers $1M Award for Proof of Expensive Speaker Cables

In summary, Randi has offered US$ 1 million to anyone who can prove that a pair of $7,250 Pear Anjou speaker cables is any better than ordinary (and also overpriced) Monster Cables. Pointing out the absurd review by audiophile Dave Clark, who called the cables 'danceable,' Randi called it 'hilarious and preposterous.' He added that if the cables could do what their makers claimed, 'they would be paranormal.'"
Mk said:
If somebody was out there that was bending spoons with his mind and wanted to tell everybody, everybody would know.

Well, Geller did tell everyone that he could do exactly that and many other maigical things. And not only did many people believe him, so did a fair number of scientists. Apparently he was quite convincing. This is a case where Randi certainly deserves credit. Being a magician himself, Johnny Carson smelled a rat in Geller. He contacted Randi who was a master magician. Randi figured out the scheme and they set-up Geller on national TV. It was one of the all time great debunkings!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Supernatural (above nature) suggests something outside the known laws of nature and the mechanism behind quantum entanglement certainly seems to fit the bill.

It also appears, as I think Ivan asserts, there is sleight of hand by Randi in that once something is shown to be real it is by definition no longer supernatural and so does not qualify for his prize.

As an example of a fringe phenomena gaining acceptance, at one time acupuncture was right up there with faith healing and mysticism but as investigations showed it worked it became mainstream and is now accepted so whereas faith healing still remains supernatural acupuncture is not.

If Randi's purpose is to expose folk who claim abilities to read the future as a scam to rip people off then he gets my support but I get the impression Ivan believes he goes further than that and would stifle debate on all currently unexplained phenomena some of which such as the acupuncture example I referenced are worthy of serious consideration.

Ivan Seeking said:
That's because you can define supernatural to mean whatever you want. When exactly is something supernatural? We already were given a definition. I was responding directly to the definition. And the key point is that the mechanism cannot be measured; not even in principle. What better definition could you want?
I cannot define every-day occurrences as supernatural, even if we do not understand the mechanisms behind them. This includes all well-established quantum effects, but also extends to the macroscopic world. For instance, we do not have any understanding of how gravitational attraction arises. We have the Newtonian approximation, and we have Einstein's GR, but those are both mathematical models. They are predictive, but they do not explain the mechanism behind gravitation. After developing GR, Einstein tried all the remainder of his life to uncover the mechanism behind gravitation and inertial effects, to no avail. Understanding the mechanism of gravitation is key to a TOE, but despite the best efforts of the LQG folks and the String folks, we seem to be a long way away from that. It would seem that gravitation and inertia are supernatural by your definition. I cannot accept this view. The fact that these effects are universal and fundamental mean that they a real and are not supernatural, even if we do not understand the mechanism through which they arise. This applies equally to quantum effects that we observe, but cannot yet explain. We cannot expect Randi to "debunk" things that have been occupying many of the best minds for decades. That over-broad definition of "supernatural" is not consistent with our reality.

natural - 1. existing in or formed by nature
supernatural - 1. of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena; abnormal.

The way I see it all of the quantum examples used here are natural phenomena because we commonly attribute them to nature. I wouldn't go so far as to say that everything supernatural is unreal. I would say that what we refer to as supernatural are phenomena that occur without what we can reasonably identify as a natural cause.

I think the confusion in this thread stems from the definition of nature, not supernatural. Some people are considering nature to be everything that is real, and others are considering it to be everything that is currently known to be real.

As far as Randi is concerned, he seems to hold the opinion that supernatural phenomena do not, or can not, have natural causes. He seems to be challenging anyone to prove the existence of an unnatural will. He may expose many charlatans, but I'm dubious of his intentions.

Yikes! This entire offshoot about quantum entaglement is ridiculous. You can always ask one more "why" question that physics can not answer (eg: why are the 19 free parameters of the standard model what they are?), but that doesn't make any of them supernatural. The things that underlie these questions are simply the building blocks of the present model (just as certain truths are axiomatic to a mathematical theory).

What is supernatural, however, is something that is claimed to occur at a likelihood that far differs from what is got from either controlled experimentation or where applicable, existing theory.

Gokul43201 said:
You can always ask one more "why" question that physics can not answer (eg: why are the 19 free parameters of the standard model what they are?), but that doesn't make any of them supernatural.

You just used the word supernatural arbitrarily. What's more, this is a real phenomenon that can be measured and is not just a hypothetical mathematical construct.

The things that underlie these questions are simply the building blocks of the present model (just as certain truths are axiomatic to a mathematical theory).

Is it real or not? Are you saying that spin is not really conserved [what we measure as spin]; or are you dismissing the principle of collapse? I'm sure that you're not. In principle we could make a communication system using this, and the only reason that we haven't tried is that there is no advantage in doing so. Still, that would be a real technology that seemingly works by magic.

What is supernatural, however, is something that is claimed to occur at a likelihood that far differs from what is got from either controlled experimentation or where applicable, existing theory.

So then the increasing rate of expansion of the universe would qualify? Would it qualify until we have a testable hypothesis to explain it?

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I cannot define every-day occurrences as supernatural, even if we do not understand the mechanisms behind them.

Arbitrary; unless you can happen prove that God doesn't exist. Good luck on that one. But again it comes down to what we mean by supernatural. I was going by the defintion given.

This includes all well-established quantum effects, but also extends to the macroscopic world. For instance, we do not have any understanding of how gravitational attraction arises. We have the Newtonian approximation, and we have Einstein's GR, but those are both mathematical models. They are predictive, but they do not explain the mechanism behind gravitation. After developing GR, Einstein tried all the remainder of his life to uncover the mechanism behind gravitation and inertial effects, to no avail. Understanding the mechanism of gravitation is key to a TOE, but despite the best efforts of the LQG folks and the String folks, we seem to be a long way away from that. It would seem that gravitation and inertia are supernatural by your definition.

So it would seem.

I cannot accept this view. The fact that these effects are universal and fundamental mean that they a real and are not supernatural,

You are using your private definition of supernatural again. So you mean that supernatural is "not real". Therefore Randi's challenge is to prove that the unreal exists?

even if we do not understand the mechanism through which they arise. This applies equally to quantum effects that we observe, but cannot yet explain. We cannot expect Randi to "debunk" things that have been occupying many of the best minds for decades. That over-broad definition of "supernatural" is not consistent with our reality.

I don't consider expanding the definition beyond "only that which is not real" as overly broad. It seems that you want to privately define what is real and not real.

So as nearly as I can tell, what we want to say is that supernatural is anything not currently explained by science and that we find sufficiently surprising, or those claims which we arbitrarily define to not be real because not proven. We can't use "anything that requires new science" because we don't know that answer. Any open questions in physics might qualify and we have no way to know which. Is ball lightning supernatural? Until recently it was was treated as such. Does dark matter qualify? If not, where's the proof? No matter what we find, don't we always assume that there is a natural explanation; even when confronted with the absurdity of quantum weirdness? When is a discovery ever surprising enough to qualify as being supernatural? Does the word even exist in science, or is this exclusive to the domain of Randi?

If we mean a particular class of claims, why not just list them specifically? Otherwise, where do we draw the line between surprising, and supernatural? And even then, supernatural only means, extremely surprising! And just as with spin conservation as discussed above, we quickly learn to accept what we observe as natural; no matter how much it might violate our sensibilities.

Time and time again we have learned that if anything, the universe is extremely surprising.

Last edited:
If some genius out there happens to discover for-real superluminal information transfer or cold fusion, they should bait Randi into a million dollar test *before* publication/peer review. Then we'll know for sure where Randi draws the line between natural phenomena that go contrary to present science and "supernatural" phenomena.

According to QM, there is for-real superluminal communication between pairs [or non-locality, or whatever we want to call it]. Doesn't QM pass Randi's challenge?

Ivan Seeking said:
According to QM, there is for-real superluminal communication between pairs [or non-locality, or whatever we want to call it]. Doesn't QM pass Randi's challenge?

No, I don't think so. Based on my extremely limited understanding of QM (I'm much more comfortable with SR), entanglement cannot lead to superluminal transmission of meaningful information (which is what's required to violate SR). Something about the "no-cloning theorem", that's all I know - someone else on here will certainly be able to explain it better.

Ivan Seeking said:
So then the increasing rate of expansion of the universe would qualify? Would it qualify until we have a testable hypothesis to explain it?
No Ivan, of course not! For the last couple of years, every single set of measurements I've made at work has shown something that was not explained by theory. This is true of any fundamental experimental research, and it happens every single day in hundreds of research labs around the world.

But we call this research, not exploration of the supernatural.

Last edited:
Back