I’ve made a huge mistake (or: how I learned I hate business and love physics)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on pursuing a second degree in physics after realizing their passion for the subject. They are currently in their final year of a business degree and have faced challenges due to financial and health issues. They are also concerned about their age and financial stability, but are determined to pursue their passion and are open to any advice or resources for non-traditional students.
HugeMistake
Greetings! I’m a long time lurker; so let me apologize off the bat for popping in here with my first post being a request for advice, I’ll try not to ramble too much.

Two years ago the idea of "changing course" on the direction of my life came up. I pushed the idea aside, assuming my interest in physics to be nothing but a hobby on the side, or something I wouldn't enjoy studying/working in. Now I'm at a point where I come home from work or class, and start studying physics textbooks with far more interest than the career I have or the degree I am pursuing.

I am entering my final year on a business degree (Sadly I did not realize how little I enjoyed it until quite late), and it seems the best thing to do is to finish this degree up before studying physics - Unless there is a good reason otherwise, believe me I would love to dive into physics now! haha!

To make matters a bit more complicated, I am certainly not a traditional student. I am 28, I started quite late, and I have bounced between part-time and full-time enrollment. I even had to drop two whole semesters due to some financial and health problems hitting at the same time. All the while I've worked full-time as the IT Manager for a mid-size company. Between my lack of passion for the subject and focusing on my job, my transcript and grades are fairly mediocre.

I suppose my questions to you all are simply:
Are there any particularly good resources out there for people who are interested in pursuing a second degree?

Does anyone have any general advice for someone in this situation, or are there any particular hurdles I may have to deal with? I realize with my history that I won't be getting accepted into MIT or anything, but I assume I should be able to get into a half-decent undergrad program somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I myself study mechanical engineering just because everyone said i won't be able to make it as a research physicist,as there are only few positions.
I can totally understand what yoyu are going through. to give you a picture about me, I almost throw up when is study mechanical design and on the other hand i take time off to self-study quantum mech and G.relativity(its hard without a teacher!)
So now i think you feel like 'screw economics' i want to do what i want
but the question is this: Doode, youre 28( no offfense) .Studying again undergrad is tough.How do you stand Financially?What are you going to do after your major? Pursue a phycisist carrer?Thats tough.
But again you should do what you feel and youre going to succed.Make some applications,send them and see hgow it goes

Related to I’ve made a huge mistake (or: how I learned I hate business and love physics)

1. What led you to realize you hate business and love physics?

I have always been passionate about science and the pursuit of knowledge. However, after pursuing a career in business, I found that my true passion lies in physics. I was drawn to the complexity and beauty of the laws and theories that govern our universe.

2. How did making a mistake play a role in your discovery?

Making a mistake in my business career allowed me to reflect on my priorities and what truly makes me happy. It made me realize that I was not fulfilled in my job and that I needed to pursue my passion for physics.

3. What challenges did you face in transitioning from business to physics?

The transition from business to physics was not easy. I had to go back to school and learn new skills, as well as adjust to a different work environment. It was a challenging but rewarding process that ultimately led me to where I am today.

4. How has your perspective changed since discovering your love for physics?

My perspective has shifted in many ways. I now see the world through a scientific lens and am constantly seeking to understand the underlying principles behind everything. I have also gained a deeper appreciation for the beauty and complexity of the universe.

5. What advice do you have for others who may be in a similar situation?

My advice would be to never be afraid to make a change if it means pursuing your true passion. It may be a difficult and uncertain journey, but the rewards are worth it. Follow your heart and don't be afraid to take risks in pursuit of your dreams.