It would be really nice if President Obama and his adminstration read these threads

• News
  • Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threads
In summary: I couldn't think of a better word for this) camoflauge society psychopaths.In summary, this article discusses how people with AsPD can blend in easily to society and how this can have devastating impacts on those around them.
mugaliens
Perhaps then he might get a clue, and start acting on the inputs of the best and the brightest out here on the Internet. Even though we might disagree, we do so intelligently.

Given what he's done so far, I haven't the slightest clue as to what he's acting on.

Physics news on Phys.org

mugaliens said:
Given what he's done so far, I haven't the slightest clue as to what he's acting on.

That’s because you underestimate President Obama’s intelligence, and overestimate some PF users.

DevilsAvocado said:
That’s because you underestimate President Obama’s intelligence, and overestimate some PF users.
:biggrin:

Most arrogant thread of the day.

Zip!

muffle muffle muffle!

DevilsAvocado said:

I'm sorry, but I actually know him. I don't think I'm "underestimating" anything.

Most surprising thread of the day.

mugaliens said:
I'm sorry, but I actually know him. I don't think I'm "underestimating" anything.

go on...

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think he would get a kick out of it.

Please. The PF P&WA people are far too smart for any politician to understand us.

russ_watters said:
Most arrogant thread of the day.

Hmmm, do you count content or just newly made threads? If it's content, a bunch of amateurs and armchair economists passionately denouncing the president of the US is probably far more arrogant than a simple desire to be heard.

This is supposed to be something of an internet brain-trust after all... if not the PF mentors, then who... right? I know when I want my social and economic problems solved, I look first to the engineers and physicists! :biggrin:

Char. Limit said:
Please. The PF P&WA people are far too smart for any politician to understand us.

And penguins

If I had a signature, it would just be: "and penguins", along the lines of adding, "in bed" to fortune cookie. :biggrin:

On a more realistic, and perhaps also more interesting, note, I would think it would be very cool if the opposite happened, i.e. the ruling people came here to tell us what they were really thinking. There's been so many times where I've just thought that persons like Obama must act the way they do in certain situations just because they have access to more information about the issue then we have. I would love to understand what actually lead them to certain decisions, and what their honest thoughts are on how to best organize our future society (not what they say in media).

Zarqon said:
On a more realistic, and perhaps also more interesting, note, I would think it would be very cool if the opposite happened, i.e. the ruling people came here to tell us what they were really thinking. There's been so many times where I've just thought that persons like Obama must act the way they do in certain situations just because they have access to more information about the issue then we have. I would love to understand what actually lead them to certain decisions, and what their honest thoughts are on how to best organize our future society (not what they say in media).

I'm not sure you'd be comforted by honest answer to the motivations of ANYONE who reaches such high office.

nismaratwork said:
I'm not sure you'd be comforted by honest answer to the motivations of ANYONE who reaches such high office.

That's ok though, because my main interest in general is not being comforted, but to understand how things really work :wink:

Zarqon said:
That's ok though, because my main interest in general is not being comforted, but to understand how things really work :wink:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/dsm-iv/content/article/10168/54831

Dr Robert Hare said:
Camouflage Society
In my book, Without Conscience, I argued that we live in a "camouflage society," a society in which some psychopathic traits- egocentricity, lack of concern for others, superficiality, style over substance, being "cool," manipulativeness, and so forth- increasingly are tolerated and even valued. With respect to the topic of this article, it is easy to see how both psychopaths and those with ASPD could blend in readily with groups holding antisocial or criminal values. It is more difficult to envisage how those with ASPD could hide out among more prosocial segments of society. Yet psychopaths have little difficulty infiltrating the domains of business, politics, law enforcement, government, academia and other social structures (Babiak). It is the egocentric, cold-blooded and remorseless psychopaths who blend into all aspects of society and have such devastating impacts on people around them who send chills down the spines of law enforcement officers.

This is just opinion, but it's something that's been noted as the understanding of AsPD has grown. People who seek adrenaline thrills without regard for their own health, the impact on others... politicians from the obvious (Blagojevich) to the more subtle who merely display AsPD traits, or something in the spectrum of NPD.

nismaratwork said:

This is just opinion...

I consider it fact, but that's just my opinion.

OmCheeto said:
I consider it fact, but that's just my opinion.

Yes.

Zarqon said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military%E2%80%93industrial_complex"

Dwight D. Eisenhower said:
A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Last edited by a moderator:
nismaratwork said:

This is just opinion, but it's something that's been noted as the understanding of AsPD has grown. People who seek adrenaline thrills without regard for their own health, the impact on others... politicians from the obvious (Blagojevich) to the more subtle who merely display AsPD traits, or something in the spectrum of NPD.

Wow, I'm quite amazed that what I thought was a pretty innocent sentence, sparked that response (though I'm not offended). I am however curious if wanting to know how things work more than wanting to be comforted (tbh, I consider it a comfort to know how things work, so that I can predict them), is really sticking out that much as anti-social behavior?

nismaratwork said:
Hmmm, do you count content or just newly made threads? If it's content, a bunch of amateurs and armchair economists passionately denouncing the president of the US is probably far more arrogant than a simple desire to be heard.

As a reader of The Economist and The Wall Street Journal (two of the less fluffier publications), I find many of this "bunch of amateurs and armchair economists" a savvy about that which they speak.

This is supposed to be something of an internet brain-trust after all... if not the PF mentors, then who... right? I know when I want my social and economic problems solved, I look first to the engineers and physicists! :biggrin:

Good logic. In the same vein, why did we vote for a lawyer and neophyte politician to lead our country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megyn_Kelly" for President! Interestingly, she has a nearly identical education as our President, but a totaly different point of view. Funny how that works...

mugaliens said:
Perhaps then he might get a clue, and start acting on the inputs of the best and the brightest out here on the Internet.

The bold part made my day, no my week!

mugaliens said:
Perhaps then he might get a clue, and start acting on the inputs of the best and the brightest out here on the Internet. Even though we might disagree, we do so intelligently.

Hey! I think someone in the White House just read your thread.

"[URL
Advise the Advisor[/URL]

Advise the Advisor is a new program to help senior staff at the White House stay connected to the American people. Think of this as your direct line to the some of the President's senior advisors at the White House.

Don't make him read through all the arguments though. Just tell him how he should run the country.

:smile:

OmCheeto said:
...Just tell him how he should run the country.
I'd rather tell him to stop trying to run the country. Being the radical right-winger I am, I favor a free country over a government run country. And being such a radical strict constructionist, I'd point out that "running the country" isn't in the President's job description, or an enumerated power of the federal government.

As incompetent and pernicious as I think his administration is, Barack Obama has better things to do than to surf forums.

A complete waste of time for anyone at their level.

Al68 said:
I'd rather tell him to stop trying to run the country. Being the radical right-winger I am, I favor a free country over a government run country. And being such a radical strict constructionist, I'd point out that "running the country" isn't in the President's job description, or an enumerated power of the federal government.

There's no freedom in chaos, just older laws of the jungle. In that kind of world, people like me kill people like you for sport; this is a better world.

nismaratwork said:
There's no freedom in chaos, just older laws of the jungle. In that kind of world, people like me kill people like you for sport; this is a better world.

You misunderstood him. He wants laws to protect him, but he doesn't want laws to protect others :P

DanP said:
You misunderstood him. He wants laws to protect him, but he doesn't want laws to protect others :P

He's young... presumably, and doesn't realize that he's advocating his own kingship, or serfdom. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vl9WfOdSkM

Heh... :biggrin:

Truly, isn't this the heart of "Libertarianism" as it's bandied about now? Nihilism for everyone... except X or Y group, who naturally self-organizes.

Should we tell him he's halfway to communism? :wink:

nismaratwork said:
Heh... :biggrin:

Truly, isn't this the heart of "Libertarianism" as it's bandied about now? Nihilism for everyone... except X or Y group, who naturally self-organizes.

Should we tell him he's halfway to communism? :wink:

It is one thing to voice opinions and analyze problems for the sake of public discourse and education, but it is quite another to assume that we know something "they" don't; or that the average Presidential advisor isn't a heck of a lot smarter, better informed, and more accomplished than everyone, or at least, almost everyone here. I would imagine we have 2 or 3 members [all of PF] who are qualified to stand among the average run-of-the-mill advisors, in the White House.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
It is one thing to voice opinions and analyze problems for the sake of public discourse and education, but it is quite another to assume that we know something "they" don't; or that the average Presidential advisor isn't a heck of a lot smarter, better informed, and more accomplished than everyone, or at least, almost everyone here.

Indeed, and above all: Specialized! A man like David Gergen for instance, or David Axelrod could serve any president well, and would blow us out of the water.

By the same token, you see it here with engineers learning that those skills only HELP with theoretical physics, and visa versa. I'm not taking my car to a mechanical engineer, I'm takign it to my MECHANIC. I'm also not going to ask my mechanic to design new jet, or furnace, etc.