Issue with building a full-bridge Inverter

In summary: You are not getting an output switching between 0V and 36V, so I suspect you have a problem with your switch module design. I would suggest that you build and drive just one HCPL3120 and IGBT with a resistive load from the positive supply rail. A 100 ohm load would draw 360mA and need to be rated at better than 13W. You might consider using four 12V light globes in series as the load. Once that is switching cleanly you can complete the bridge.
uzair_r
Hi,
I am building a Full-Bridge Inverter using four IGBT and four drivers for each IGBT. Driver is HCPL-3120, all four drivers are supplied with 15VDC isolated supply. I am switching using M bed micro controller LPC1768 generating two PWM signal working alternately, first signal turns IGBT 1 and 2 on and second turns IGBT 3 and 4. Inverter is supplied with roughly 36V while each driver with 15V. I have uploaded picture of schematic where four IGBT can be seen and one driver although in actual four drivers are used. After testing circuit i am unable to get a sine wave however I have upload snaps of my output. So what I am doing wrong here and what type of output i should be expecting from this circuit .
Any help here is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 11125531_10205181959881359_819542395_n.jpg
    11125531_10205181959881359_819542395_n.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,500
  • DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 785
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I would have expected some form of LC filter on the output before any load to interpolate the sine wave and to remove the high frequency RF switching harmonics from the load.

What load are you using during testing?
Are those two traces the signals on the two load terminals?
Why do we see less than 2Vpp on the traces?
What is your ground reference connected to?
Oscilloscope coupling is AC. Why not DC couple with oscilloscope reference the (–)36V rail ?

Thanks,
Got it about LC filter, I tested this circuit without load as I am having some issues with calculations. Picture DSC_0142 was taken at output with reference to ground while other picture across two output terminal. Problem is I don't know why I am having output just of 2V as I should be having much higher output. I have also followed voltage in circuit and seems its the mid-point between four IGBT i am loosing voltage. If I got your question right on ground reference lower rail in my drawing is ground meaning IGBT 4 and 2 emitter legs are connected to ground. During testing I was not getting anything on DC couple on scope across output or with reference to -36 rail.

You are not getting an output switching between 0V and 36V, so I suspect you have a problem with your switch module design. I would suggest that you build and drive just one HCPL3120 and IGBT with a resistive load from the positive supply rail. A 100 ohm load would draw 360mA and need to be rated at better than 13W. You might consider using four 12V light globes in series as the load. Once that is switching cleanly you can complete the bridge.

Check your 36V supply is still OK. If you have turned on both IGBT pairs at the same time you may have caused some damage to the 36V supply fuse.

The HCPL3120 is not a bootstrap driver to make this you need 3 isolated 15V DC supplies for IGBTs 1,3 & 4+2. So this will not work. You would only be turning on IGBT 4 and 2. Then with no load -- the output is practically just the bottom drivers output V - since the scope is AC coupled, I suspect it is really 0 to +4.5V .

I agree with Baluncore -- make a DC Buck chopper and then understand it. With an isolated DC supply you could do this in ether High or Bottom IGBTs in a leg - and use the Freewheeling diode of one of the other IGBT (use a jumper in this IGBT between the Gate and Emitter- to make sure it is OFF) -- the Isolated DC supply will turn on a TOP IGBT - but not a top and a bottom.

This morning I changed HCPL3120 supply to 3 isolated 15V DC as you said, at a point i got a signal and I have upload it. Your feedback on that will be very helpful. Like you said I will put a load with filter and test one leg, however I am planning to integrate inverter with a DC-DC booster where its output of 36V will go to inverter.

Attachments

• 11139492_10205186744640975_28364519_n.jpg
    11139492_10205186744640975_28364519_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 715
It would be good to look at the Gate Signals - you should see the PWM signal clearly. It may be that you killed a component somewhere. --

uzair_r said:
This morning I changed HCPL3120 supply to 3 isolated 15V DC as you said, at a point i got a signal and I have upload it.
When you attach a trace, we need to know which signal you are viewing and the load conditions.
We also need to be able to read the vertical voltage scale, or you need to report the Vpp of the observed waveform.

Related to Issue with building a full-bridge Inverter

1. How does a full-bridge inverter work?

A full-bridge inverter is a type of electronic circuit that converts direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC). It uses four switches (usually MOSFETs) to create a full bridge between the DC input and the AC output. By switching the direction of the current flow through the switches, the inverter is able to produce an AC output that can power various electronic devices.

2. What are the common issues with building a full-bridge inverter?

Some common issues with building a full-bridge inverter include: selecting the appropriate switches and their ratings, designing the circuit layout to minimize electromagnetic interference (EMI), ensuring proper heat dissipation to prevent overheating, and properly controlling the switching frequency and duty cycle for optimal performance.

3. How can EMI be reduced in a full-bridge inverter?

To reduce EMI in a full-bridge inverter, proper shielding and grounding techniques should be used in the circuit design. Additionally, minimizing the length of high-current traces and using low-inductance components can also help reduce EMI. Careful layout and placement of components can also help reduce electromagnetic interference.

4. What are the key factors to consider when selecting switches for a full-bridge inverter?

When selecting switches for a full-bridge inverter, key factors to consider include their voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and resistance. The switches should be able to handle the voltage and current levels of the inverter, have a fast switching speed to minimize losses, and low resistance to reduce heat generation. It is also important to consider the cost and availability of the switches.

5. How can overheating be prevented in a full-bridge inverter?

To prevent overheating in a full-bridge inverter, proper heat dissipation techniques should be employed. This can include using heat sinks, fans, or other cooling methods to dissipate the heat generated by the switches and other components. It is also important to ensure that the inverter is not overloaded and that the switching frequency and duty cycle are properly controlled to prevent excessive heat buildup.