Gate drivers for IGBT inverter: How to isolate V supplies?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using a 3 phase variable frequency drive and the need for multiple DC voltage sources for the IGBT gate drivers. The possible solutions mentioned include using a full 3 phase driver or multiple half-bridge drivers. The use of gate drive transformers is also mentioned, but they may not be suitable for the desired frequency range. It is suggested to use a dual 600V driver or a full 6 channel chip for convenience and cost savings. The issue of using an Arduino for 6 channels of PWM is also brought up.
THRILLHO
This video describes my issue pretty well (I have it set to start when he talks about my specific situation):
ETA: looks like the board doesn't allow the video to start at the specific time, the important stuff begins around 5:30

Our applications are a bit different as his design is for single phase applications, but the problem remains the same for both cases:

This is for a 3 phase variable frequency drive. An Arduino will use PWM to control the inverter. I'm going to have a gate driver on each of 6IGBTs. I need one ~18V DC source for the lower 3 IGBT gate drivers (this is kosher, will not cause a short), but then I need 3 more for each of the three upper IGBT drivers. We have one transformer dropping one of the 265V phase lines down to 24V, which I was then rectifying to use as a DC voltage supply for wherever necessary. That gives us one of the four sources needed to run the inverter. Using three separate batteries to provide the other sources would be really sloppy, bulky, and expensive. Same goes for using a single phase to three phase transformer + more rectifiers. I stumbled upon gate drive transformers and thought that I had a solution, but all of them appear to be for really high frequency applications (400khz+), which is no good for a VFD that will need to output 1-100hz signals. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make this work and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
THRILLHO said:
I'm going to have a gate driver on each of 6IGBTs.
Unless you absolutely have to do this, then save yourself the trouble and get either a full three-phase driver or three half-bridge drivers. You'll then only need two non-isolated supplies, and you won't risk shoot-through of your IGBT module(s), since you won't be the one controlling the dead-time.

Here are some examples:
International Rectifier General Purpose Gate Driver ICs

I agree with Miles - look for a dual 600V driver or a full 6 channel chip . They will help set deadtime and will have bootstrap circuit for each of the 3 high side circuits.. also the driver needs to be sized to the type of IGBT - generally not a problem for experimenter, but if you bought some large surplus IGBTs this should be checked

You are getting 6 PWM channels out of an arduino - which model? - noting for 0-100 Hz output you want ~20 X Fsw ( 2 khz) . Most of the basic models(328) only have three timers and they are all slightly different, one sits on the serial port! You can not do complimentary switching (i.e. three timers to 6 channels PWM)-- without some external logic - for a 3 phase AC case.

Thanks you two. I didn't know that all-in-one three phase gate drivers exist. Very convenient that they require only one power source. Saves me a lot of time, space, and money.

As a question Thrillho - which arduino are you using? I am am curious about your 6 channels of PWM.

Related to Gate drivers for IGBT inverter: How to isolate V supplies?

1. What is the purpose of a gate driver for an IGBT inverter?

A gate driver is responsible for controlling the switching of the IGBTs in an inverter. It provides the necessary voltage and current levels to turn the IGBT on and off at the right times, ensuring efficient and accurate operation of the inverter.

2. How does a gate driver isolate V supplies?

A gate driver uses optocouplers or transformers to provide galvanic isolation between the low-voltage control circuit and the high-voltage IGBTs. This prevents any potential voltage surges or ground loop issues from affecting the sensitive control circuit.

3. What are the key factors to consider when selecting a gate driver for an IGBT inverter?

The key factors to consider include the IGBT specifications, such as voltage and current ratings, switching frequency, and gate charge. Other important factors include the required isolation voltage, temperature range, and protection features such as desaturation detection and overcurrent protection.

4. Can a single gate driver be used for multiple IGBTs in an inverter?

Yes, a single gate driver can be used to control multiple IGBTs in parallel. However, the gate driver must be able to provide enough current to switch all the IGBTs simultaneously and must be properly designed to avoid any timing mismatches between the IGBTs.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing with gate drivers for IGBT inverters?

Yes, safety is a crucial factor when working with high-voltage applications. It is important to follow proper isolation guidelines and use safety-rated components. Additionally, proper grounding and shielding techniques should be employed to minimize the risk of electrical hazards.