Isomorphism and Binary Structures

In summary, the conversation discusses defining a binary operation on R^2 in order to make two binary structures, <J, +> and <R^2, *>, isomorphic. The set J represents all linear functions and R^2 represents all points in the Euclidean plane. The goal is to find a function that connects the two structures, and it is suggested to look at how the slopes and y-intercepts interact when adding linear functions. The property that connects the two structures is determined to be (m+n, b+c).
MikeDietrich
Let J be a set of all linear functions. Consider the set R^2 in the Euclidean plane. Define a binary operation * on R^2 in such a way that the two binary structures <J, +> and <R^2, *> will be isomorphic. Any thoughts?
If something is not clear please ask. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This forum's policy on homework requires you to show what you've done so far. (This applies to all questions that look like homework, even the ones that aren't). By the way, are you talking about linear functions from [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] into [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex]?

Thanks for the heads-up Fredrik; I am talking R^2 into R^2.
So my thoughts are I need to look at the linear function y = mx + b as determined by m and b then I could map any y = mx + b to the point (m, b). I believe the point (m_1, b_1)*(m_2, b_2) must represent the linear function (m_1x + b_1) + (m_2x + b_2). I think I need to manipulate the two slopes and two y-intercepts to get m and b of the linear function (m_1x + b_1) + (m_2x + b_2). This is where I get stuck and it could be my reasoning is all washed up. I feel this is just off on the edge of my understanding.

Did you mean that m and b are real numbers, and x and y are vectors? The function f defined by f(x)=mx+b for all x in [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] is not linear for arbitrary m and b. If U and V are vector spaces (like [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] with the standard definitions of addition and multiplication by a real number), then a function [itex]f:U\rightarrow V[/itex] is said to be linear if [itex]f(ax+by)=af(x)+bf(y)[/itex] for all real numbers a,b, and all x,y in U.

Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly? The natural way to represent linear operators on [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] is using four numbers, not two, so a bijective function into [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] would have to be pretty weird.

Maybe I am stating it wrong:

What I am trying to do is define a binary operation * on R^2 such that the two binary structures <J, +> and <R^2, *> are isomorphic. J is a set of all linear functions and the set R^2 = R X R = {(a, b): a is in the set of real#s, b is in the set of real #s} in the Euclidean plane.

So, thus far I have looked at specific linear functions ie y1 = 2x + 3 and y2 = 5x + 10 and said y1 + y2 = 7x + 13 with that (2,3) and (5,10) = (2,3)*(5,13). This would make the general forms (m1x + b1) + (m2x + b2) for J and (m1, b1)*(m2, b2) for R^2.

I do not know if this is even close and I do not know the function (phe) that connects the two binary structures.

Last edited:
To clarify: By linear functions you mean functions whose graph is a line correct?

If so you're close. How did the m's and b's interact when you added two linear functions? They should interact in the same way when you're *-ing points in R2

Office_Shredder said:
To clarify: By linear functions you mean functions whose graph is a line correct?

If so you're close. How did the m's and b's interact when you added two linear functions? They should interact in the same way when you're *-ing points in R2

Yes, as in functions whose graphs are a line...

ms and bs... they shifted upward by there sum?

Argh!

(mx+b)+(nx+c)=(m+n)x+(b+c).

So if we were representing these by (m,b) and (n,c), what should (m,b)*(n,c) be?

So, is the property that "connects" the two (m+n, b+c)? Is it that simple?

Related to Isomorphism and Binary Structures

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a concept in mathematics and science that refers to two structures or systems that have the same underlying structure or pattern, but may look different on the surface. In other words, they have the same elements and relationships between those elements, but may be represented differently.

2. What is an isomorphic function?

An isomorphic function is a mathematical function that preserves the structure or pattern of a system or structure. This means that the input-output relationships of the function are the same as the input-output relationships of the original system or structure.

3. How is isomorphism related to binary structures?

Binary structures are mathematical structures that consist of two elements and a binary operation (such as addition or multiplication) that combines the two elements to form a new element. Isomorphism can be used to compare and analyze different binary structures, as it allows us to focus on the underlying structure rather than the specific elements or operations.

4. What are some real-world applications of isomorphism?

Isomorphism has various applications in different fields, including computer science, chemistry, and biology. In computer science, it is used to design efficient algorithms and data structures. In chemistry, it is used to study the properties of molecules. In biology, it is used to compare the genetic code of different species.

5. How can I determine if two structures are isomorphic?

There are various methods for determining isomorphism, depending on the specific structures being compared. However, some common techniques include finding a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two structures, checking if the structures have the same algebraic properties, or using graph theory to identify isomorphic structures.