Isolated points and continuity

In summary, the function f is continuous at the point c if there exists a delta such that whenever |x-c|<delta, it follows that |f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Let f : A --> R be a function, and let c in A be an isolated point of A. Prove that f
is continuous at c

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kind of confused by this problem... if c is an isolated point, then the limit doesn't exist. So I can't really use the fact that a function is continuous at c if for all epsilon>0 there exists a delta>0 such that whenever |x-c|<delta, it follows that |f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon.

Any hints would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dancergirlie! :smile:

(have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε :wink:)
dancergirlie said:
a function is continuous at c if for all epsilon>0 there exists a delta>0 such that whenever |x-c|<delta, it follows that |f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon.

How can that statement not be true? :wink:

Well it wouldn't be true for x=c. Because |x-c| would be equal to zero, and that contradicts the statement that delta is greater than zero.

I am assuming that A is a subset of the real numbers. Since c is an isolated point of A, there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex](c-\delta,c+\delta)[/itex] contains no other points of A. Hint: that is your [itex]\delta[/itex] to show that f is continuous at c. So now let x be in A and [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex]. Then...

I am not sure how you are choosing delta... are you saying that you choose delta to be equal to the delta satisfying (c-delta, c+delta) containing no other points of A but c?

dancergirlie said:
I am not sure how you are choosing delta... are you saying that you choose delta to be equal to the delta satisfying (c-delta, c+delta) containing no other points of A but c?

Yes. That delta exists by the fact that c is an isolated point. Now just go through the epsilon-delta steps of proving f is continuous at c. Using that delta, what does [itex]|x-c|<\delta[/itex] imply if x is in A?

Would it just mean that x-c is in a as well?
Because I'm trying to show that
|f(x)-L|< epsilon, but there is no limit so that is why I'm getting confused...

dancergirlie said:
Would it just mean that x-c is in a as well?
Because I'm trying to show that
|f(x)-L|< epsilon, but there is no limit so that is why I'm getting confused...

Well your L is f(c). So you are trying to show that for x in A and any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex], there is a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that [itex]|x-c|<\delta[/itex] implies that [itex]|f(x)-f(c)|<\varepsilon[/itex]. But if x is in A and [itex]|x-c|<\delta[/itex], where the delta is the one described above, then x can only be one point! And that point is ...?

dancergirlie said:
Well it wouldn't be true for x=c. Because |x-c| would be equal to zero, and that contradicts the statement that delta is greater than zero.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. :redface:

How does any of that answer the question, can the statement "a function is continuous at c if for all epsilon>0 there exists a delta>0 such that whenever |x-c|<delta, it follows that |f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon" be untrue?

Choose any ε … for example choose ε = 2009 …

can you find a δ that works for that ε? :smile:

Wouldn't that mean that x has to be c? If it was then that contradicts the fact that it is continuous since that would mean that epsilon would=0 and delta=0, so the function wouldn't be continuous... but I'm trying to prove that it is continuous. I don't know if I m completely off here... but that is what I'm getting from what you're saying..

[How does any of that answer the question, can the statement "a function is continuous at c if for all epsilon>0 there exists a delta>0 such that whenever |x-c|<delta, it follows that |f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon" be untrue?

Choose any ε … for example choose ε = 2009 …

I understand that I can find a delta for any specific epsilon, but how am I supposed to phrase that in my proof for an arbitrary epsilon?

Yes, it would mean that x=c, but that does in no way imply that [itex]\varepsilon=0[/itex]. Look. I'll just rewrite everything so hopefully it makes sense now.

Let c be an isolated point of A. Then there exists a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that the interval [itex](c-\delta,c+\delta)[/itex] contains no other points of A besides c.

Let x be in A and [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex]. Then [itex]|x-c|<\delta[/itex] implies that x is in the interval [itex](c-\delta,c+\delta)[/itex]. This means x=c because there are no others points of A in that interval. This implies that [itex]|f(x)-f(c)|=|f(c)-f(c)|=0<\varepsilon[/itex] for absolutely any [itex]\varepsilon>0[/itex] you choose. Therefore, f is continuous at c.

Oh it makes sense, I was thinking that implied that epsilon equals zero, when it was just that |f(x)-f(c)|=0 which would be less than any epsilon greater than zero... thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it!

Good! No problem for the help. This problem is subtle, so I'm glad it makes sense now.

dancergirlie said:
I understand that I can find a delta for any specific epsilon …

ok, then find it for ε = 2009 :smile:
… but how am I supposed to phrase that in my proof for an arbitrary epsilon?

well, for example, if you can use the same δ for every ε, that would do it, wouldn't it? :wink:

Take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be less than the distance from closest point in the domain of f other than c. There are no points in the domain of f such that [itex]0< |x-c|< \delta[/itex] so the hypothesis, "if [itex]0< |x-c< \delta[/itex]" is always false. If the hypothesis of a statement is false then the statement is _____.

Related to Isolated points and continuity

1. What are isolated points?

Isolated points are points on a graph or function that are not connected to any other points. They are isolated from the rest of the graph and do not follow any pattern or trend.

2. How do I identify isolated points in a function?

To identify isolated points in a function, you can graph the function and look for any points that are not connected to any other points. Alternatively, you can also plot the coordinates of the function and check for any points that have a unique x or y value.

3. Can a function have more than one isolated point?

Yes, a function can have multiple isolated points. These points can be located anywhere on the graph and do not have to be consecutive.

4. What is the relationship between isolated points and continuity?

In a continuous function, there are no isolated points. This means that all points on the graph are connected and follow a specific pattern or trend. On the other hand, if a function has any isolated points, it is not considered to be continuous.

5. How do isolated points affect the continuity of a function?

Isolated points break the continuity of a function because they are not connected to any other points. This means that there is a gap or discontinuity in the function at these points. In order for a function to be continuous, it must be connected at all points.