Is Time a Fundamental Force in Physics?

Jim Robison
TL;DR Summary
Is time a Force, similar to gravity?
We all know the four fundamental forces in physics: gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces; and there is now some discussion about a fifth, more obscure force involving muons.

But I have a question; could the fifth force be something we deal with every day? Could it be one of the first things observed by a new-born babe, and one of the last wishes of a dying individual. Could the fifth force be time?

Like gravity, time is everywhere, and again, like gravity, it appears to only act in one direction. Time is also related to gravity in that time appears to slow down as gravity increases. Why should gravity be awarded the distinction of a major force in physics while time is not even considered a distant cousin?

Consider time as a force pushing the universe in one direction, slowing where gravity opposes it, but eventually getting its’ way. Surely, time must be recognized as one of the five forces in physics.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Jim Robison said:
Is time a Force, similar to gravity?
No. I don't think the concept even makes any sense.

Likes Vanadium 50
Jim Robison said:
a fifth, more obscure force involving muons.
… Could the fifth force be time?
Obviously not. Time is neither obscure nor does it affect muons more than other matter.

Please review the forum rules before posting further. Personal speculation is not permitted here. If you want to understand the mainstream scientific concept of time or the recent data on muons, that is fine. But we will wait until there a scientific paper is published on the topic to discuss combining those ideas.

Likes Vanadium 50
Sorry to be so confusing. My reference to muons was simply an introduction to the idea of a "fifth force. In retrospect, I should have left it out and just jumped directly into my question about time as a force. My sincere apologies to muon fans.

phinds said:
No. I don't think the concept even makes any sense.
I cannot disagree with the logic of your argument.

Likes Dale
Jim Robison said:
my question about time as a force
Time is not a force. The units are wrong, even in natural or geometrized units.

Time is the thing a clock measures. This is the usual physical concept of time, called proper time to distinguish it from coordinate time which is mathematical rather than physical.

Jim Robison said:
Surely, time must be recognized as one of the five forces in physics.
My mass is hurtling through space and time. To speed up, or slow down my apparent rate of time, would require a force be applied in the time dimension. So, if anything, time is less like a force, time is more like a velocity.

Your mass is not hurtling through space and time if time does not change. My question is: What is causing (forcing) time to change? What force caused yesterday to become today? What force will cause today to become tomorrow?

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes jbriggs444, weirdoguy and PeroK
Jim Robison said:
What force caused yesterday to become today?
That is nonsense. Surely you know Newton’s 2nd law: ##\vec F =m\vec a##.

Neither yesterday nor today have mass. And yesterday becoming today is not acceleration. So with no mass and no acceleration, trying to infer that there must be a force is just plain silly.

Again, time is what a clock measures.

Last edited:
Likes phinds
Jim Robison said:
TL;DR Summary: Is time a Force, similar to gravity?

Consider time as a force pushing the universe in one direction, slowing where gravity opposes it, but eventually getting its’ way. Surely, time must be recognized as one of the five forces in physics.
To paraphrase Newton slightly: "A force is that which causes or changes an acceleration." An object can easily move between x = 0 m and x = 1 m without a force being applied. It is only when it's velocity changes over that domain that we say there is a force acting on it.

As the "rate of time change" is constant in an observer's frame of reference, the "rate of time change" is not changing, so saying a force is acting to "move" an object from yesterday to today is incorrect.

-Dan

Jim Robison said:
Your mass is not hurtling through space and time if time does not change.
A cheap clock mechanism might stop, but time continues to roll on by.

• Haha
Likes phinds
When I was a lad, they used to talk of "Time, the fourth dimension". Another of those names that don't follow consistent logic. I can see the appeal, though. All that's necessary is to ignore what we know so far, of Science

Jim Robison said:
My question is: What is causing (forcing) time to change? What force caused yesterday to become today? What force will cause today to become tomorrow?
No force is required, just like no force is required for your position to change while you are in motion.

"All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension."
- Sorry, it had to be said.
- And yes, it is obscure old people humor.

Likes topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
"All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension."
- Sorry, it had to be said.
- And yes, it is obscure old people humor.
Sapphire and Steel. Wow! Haven't thought about that one in a while.

-Dan

I think this is a good place to stop.

Likes jbriggs444 and topsquark

1. What is a fundamental force in physics?

A fundamental force in physics is a force that cannot be explained by or reduced to any other force. These forces are considered to be the building blocks of the universe and are responsible for all interactions between particles and objects.

2. Is time considered a fundamental force in physics?

No, time is not considered a fundamental force in physics. It is often referred to as the fourth dimension and is a fundamental aspect of our universe, but it is not considered a force like gravity or electromagnetism.

3. How does time relate to the other fundamental forces?

Time is a crucial component in understanding the other fundamental forces. It is used in equations to describe the motion and interactions of particles and objects. For example, the theory of relativity uses time as a key factor in explaining the relationship between gravity and the other forces.

4. Can time be affected by the other fundamental forces?

Yes, time can be affected by the other fundamental forces. For example, in the theory of relativity, gravity can cause time to slow down in a phenomenon known as time dilation. Additionally, the strong and weak nuclear forces can also have an impact on the flow of time.

5. Is there a consensus among scientists about the nature of time?

There is no consensus among scientists about the nature of time. The concept of time is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. Some theories, such as the theory of relativity, have been widely accepted, while others are still being explored and tested.