Is this function in Hilbert space?

In summary, the function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}## is in Hilbert space, on the interval #(0,1), for all real values of ##\nu## except ##-\frac{1}{2}##.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

(a) For what range of ##\nu## is the function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}## in Hilbert space, on the interval ##(0,1)##. Assume ##\nu## is real, but not necessarily positive.

(b) For the specific case ##\nu = \frac{1}{2}##, is ##f(x)## in Hilbert space? What about ##xf(x)##? What about ##\frac{d}{dx}f(x)##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}## belongs in Hilbert space, then ##\int_{0}^{1} |x^{\nu}|^{2} dx < \infty##

(assuming that, by 'Hilbert space', the question means 'the vector space of square-integrable functions,' as that is the only Hilbert space of interest to physicists).

Therefore,

##\int_{0}^{1} |x^{\nu}|^{2} dx < \infty##

## = \int_{0}^{1} x^{2 \nu} dx < \infty## since ##\nu## is real

## = \int_{0}^{1} e^{{\rm ln} x^{2 \nu}} dx < \infty##

## = \int_{0}^{1} e^{2 \nu {\rm ln} x} dx < \infty##

## = [ \frac{2 \nu}{x} e^{2 \nu {\rm ln} x} ]_{0}^{1} < \infty##

## = [ 2 \nu e^{2 \nu {\rm ln} 1} - \frac{2 \nu}{0} e^{2 \nu {\rm ln} 0} ] < \infty##

The only way for this the last sentence to be valid is for ##\nu## to be 0.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
No, you derail when you do the integration. You can easily check by taking ##\nu = 1## .
There are easier ways to integrate ##x^{2\nu}## (if you differentiate it, you'll probably see it)

Thanks for pointing it out! Don't know why I made my life harder when it was already an easy problem.

So, here's my new attempt:

If the function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}## belongs in Hilbert space, then ##\int_{0}^{1} |x^{\nu}|^{2} dx < \infty##

(assuming that, by 'Hilbert space', the question means 'the vector space of square-integrable functions,' as that is the only Hilbert space of interest to physicists).

Therefore,

##\int_{0}^{1} |x^{\nu}|^{2} dx < \infty##

## = \int_{0}^{1} x^{2 \nu} dx < \infty## since ##\nu## is real

## = [ \frac{x^{2 \nu + 1}}{2 \nu + 1} ]_{0}^{1} < \infty##

## = \frac{1}{2 \nu + 1} < \infty##

Therefore, ##2 \nu + 1 \neq 0##, so that ##\nu \neq - \frac{1}{2}##.

Therefore, the function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}## is in Hilbert space, on the interval ##(0,1)##, for all real values of ##\nu## except ##-\frac{1}{2}##.

P.S.: I'd assume that for the function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}## to ##\textit{really}## be in Hilbert space (on the interval ##(0,1)##), we must also show that there is an inner product (that converges to a complex number) defined on the Hilbert space, and that the Hilbert space is complete. I have no idea, though, as to how I can form an inner product with only the one function ##f(x) = x^{\nu}##.

(b) ##\int_{0}^{1} |x^{\frac{1}{2}}|^{2} dx##

## = \int_{0}^{1} x dx##

## = [ \frac{x^{2}}{2} ]_{0}^{1}##

## = \frac{1}{2}##

##< \infty##

So, for the specific case ##\nu = \frac{1}{2}##, ##f(x)## in Hilbert space.Am I on the right track?

On the right track allright, but overshooting the length of the rails a little. Look again at your primitive. Can you carry out the integration for e.g. ##\nu = -2## ?

And (b) is right, so far, but there are two more things asked there...

Re inner product: you can try looking at your integral as the inner product ##f(x) \cdot f(x)##...

And in a fancy notation it would be ##<\nu|\nu>## ...

Related to Is this function in Hilbert space?

1. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and is defined as a complete vector space with an inner product operation that satisfies certain properties.

2. How do you know if a function is in Hilbert space?

In order for a function to be considered in Hilbert space, it must satisfy certain criteria. It must be a continuous function defined on a compact interval, it must have a finite norm, and it must be square integrable. Additionally, the function must satisfy the completeness property, which means that any Cauchy sequence in the function space converges to a function within the space.

3. What are the applications of Hilbert space?

Hilbert space has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a physical system, in signal processing for analyzing signals, and in functional analysis for studying vector spaces. It also has applications in optimization problems, control theory, and differential equations.

4. Can a function exist in multiple Hilbert spaces?

Yes, a function can exist in multiple Hilbert spaces. This is because there are various ways to define the inner product in a Hilbert space, which can result in different function spaces. For example, a function may be in both a Sobolev space and a Lebesgue space, which are both types of Hilbert spaces.

5. How is Hilbert space different from other function spaces?

Hilbert space differs from other function spaces in that it has a complete inner product structure. This means that it not only has a norm, but it also has a concept of angles and orthogonality between functions. Additionally, Hilbert space is infinite-dimensional, while other function spaces may be finite-dimensional. This allows for a wider range of functions to be represented in Hilbert space.