Is there life in the universe, and if so has it visited Earth?

In summary: The argument is that if ETs could travel at the speed of light, it would not be practical for them to travel to our planet. However, if ETs have a billion years of advancements, they may be able to travel to our planet. However, we don't know if this is possible or not.

Has alien life visited Earth?

• Yes

Votes: 81 14.5%
  • no

Votes: 201 35.9%
  • no: but it's only a matter of time

Votes: 64 11.4%
  • Yes: but there is a conspiracy to hide this from us

Votes: 47 8.4%
  • maybe maybe not?

Votes: 138 24.6%
  • I just bit my tongue and it hurts, what was the question again? Er no comment

Votes: 29 5.2%

• Total voters
DaveC426913 said:
Not quite what I said but who's counting...:rolleyes:

Compared to the other 99.9999999% of the biomass on the planet, mammals are rocket surgeons.

Could you please inform us what do you mean by the other 99.9999999% of the biomass on the planet?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
SGT said:
Could you please inform us what do you mean by the other 99.9999999% of the biomass on the planet?

I think he clearly means every other non mammalian species in the Domains of Bacteria, Archea and Eukaryota.

These guys excluding mammals in bold:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Phylogenetic_tree.svg

As a soft guide, however, the numbers of identified species as of 2004 can be broken down as follows: [3]

Species list follows.

* 287,655 plants, including:
o 15,000 mosses,
o 13,025 ferns,
o 980 gymnosperms,
o 199,350 dicotyledons,
o 59,300 monocotyledons;
* 74,000-120,000 fungi[1];
* 10,000 lichens;
* 1,250,000 animals, including:
o 1,190,200 invertebrates:
+ 950,000 insects,
+ 70,000 molluscs,
+ 40,000 crustaceans,
+ 130,200 others;
o 58,808 vertebrates:
+ 29,300 fish,
+ 5,743 amphibians,
+ 8,240 reptiles,
+ 9,934 birds,
+ 5,416 mammals.

However the total number of species for some phyla may be much higher:

* 5-10 million bacteria[2];
* 1.5 million fungi[1];

Last edited:
SGT said:
as in: not all. There are some exceptions, such as Octopi and some birds that rival mammals in their intelligence.

Splitting hairs, but I didn't want to be misquoted.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I think he clearly means every other non mammalian species in the Domains of Bacteria, Archea and Eukaryota.

These guys excluding mammals in bold:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

Where did you get these numbers from? I don't see them in the Wiki article. It would be cool to see them as a pie chart.

It would be even cooler to see them as a cylinder chart - with the height of the pies representing actual estimated Earth biomass in grams. You'd have a volumetric representation of all life on Earth broken down by quantity and species. I'll bet mammals would be a pinprick.

DaveC426913 said:
Where did you get these numbers from? I don't see them in the Wiki article. It would be cool to see them as a pie chart.

It would be even cooler to see them as a cylinder chart - with the height of the pies representing actual estimated Earth biomass in grams. You'd have a volumetric representation of all life on Earth broken down by quantity and species. I'll bet mammals would be a pinprick.

They're there check out the wiki link again. I'm surprised you didn't see them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeciesLook under the heading species then binomials they're next.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'm surprised you didn't see them.
:blushing: As am I...

A friend recently attended a lecture by Janice Voss, during which she was asked how many earthlike planets they expect to find within four to six years via the Kepler mission. She responded by saying that they expect to find thousands.

I have a really cool Power Point presentation made during her five shuttle missions, that she is handing out, but no way to post it.

Last edited:
Until someone explains how self-replicating DNA molecules came into existence involving the kind of chemical reactions we know can exist on Earth then the answer has to be maybe to extraterrestrials visiting Earth.

verdigris said:
Until someone explains how self-replicating DNA molecules came into existence involving the kind of chemical reactions we know can exist on Earth then the answer has to be maybe to extraterrestrials visiting Earth.

This only transfers the problem. How did those molecules come in existence elsewere?

Posts deleted: As per the S&D posting guidelines, please keep in mind that we can speculate about the possiblity of life, but not the motives of any alleged visitors. We could speculate on motives if shown proof of a visitation.

Last edited:
I'm just jumping to this last page after reading the first post, no time to read all of it. I cannot vote on this twofold question by lack of an option for "yes there is life elsewhere; no idea if they have visited us or not".

Last edited:
Jumping to the end as well to chime in "I seriously doubt it".

I've always kind of thought that since the Earth itself is on the order of 1/3 the age of the universe as a whole, and also since it took a "couple" of billion years for intelligent life to evolve here, it seems likely that we're amongst the first. The facts seem to bear this out as well, since AFAIK the universe doesn't yet appear to be teeming with life (though it's probably just a matter of time).

StuMyers said:
The facts seem to bear this out as well, since AFAIK the universe doesn't yet appear to be teeming with life

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Ivan Seeking said:

Looking around. :smile:

Seriously though, if the universe were quite a bit older, I might start to expect seeing ancient extraterrestrial spores in old asteroids, life adapted to survive in vacuum, and whatnot. I'm just not seeing any.

Plus, AFAIK, the local part of the galaxy appears to be fairly quiet in the radio, relative to us. I doubt intelligent life would ever stop using radio.

Spores in asteroids?

With the advent of the internet and directed microwaves, we are already on our way to going radio silent.

Also, I have to wonder why you would simply ignore the extra eight billion years or so... esp considering that we only took a little over four to get where we are today.

The universe may or may not be teeming with life. At this point we have no way to know. In fact, we can't even rule out the possibility of other higher life forms in our own solar system yet. Who knows what we might find in the oceans of Europa?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Spores in asteroids?

With the advent of the internet and directed microwaves, we are already on our way to going radio silent.

I doubt that. We're louder than ever. Radio is cheap and effective. Hard to beat.

Also, I have to wonder why you would simply ignore the extra eight billion years or so... esp considering that we only took a little over four to get where we are today.

The point was an exercise in orders of magnitude. If the universe were trillions of years old, it becomes much more likely that life will have had time to spread. 3xEarth age doesn't seem like all that long to me. In the grand scheme of things, it's reasonable to guess that we're one of the first, no?

The universe may or may not be teeming with life. At this point we have no way to know. In fact, we can't even rule out the possibility of other higher life forms in our own solar system yet. Who knows what we might find in the oceans of Europa?

So far, no evidence in support of any of that. So far, the universe appears barren of life. The default position when considering some phenomena with no supporting data... is false.

Ivan Seeking said:

Are you saying that first generation stars could have developed life?

StuMyers said:
Plus, AFAIK, the local part of the galaxy appears to be fairly quiet in the radio, relative to us. I doubt intelligent life would ever stop using radio.

I agree with you that the probability of intelligent life in our vicinity is unlikely, but radio is only important for beings that communicate via sounds.
On Earth, ants communicate via smell, so it is possible that somewhere in the Galaxy smell communicating beings could develop a civilization for which radio would be useless.

SGT said:
I agree with you that the probability of intelligent life in our vicinity is unlikely, but radio is only important for beings that communicate via sounds.
On Earth, ants communicate via smell, so it is possible that somewhere in the Galaxy smell communicating beings could develop a civilization for which radio would be useless.

From what I recall from my undergrad astro, O and B type stars blow themselves up in a fairly small fraction of a billion years (something like 200my?). So yes, the number of heavy metallic starsystems should be increasing over time, probably exponentially increasing the probability of life over time.

Maybe you're right about smell/radio. I've only been thinking about this for like 5 minutes. :smile: But doesn't it seem likely that intelligent beings would want to communicate at lightspeed across their own planet at a very low cost? Might they not figure out a way to modulate radio to reproduce smell, just as we modulate radio to reproduce sound?

StuMyers said:
From what I recall from my undergrad astro, O and B type stars blow themselves up in a fairly small fraction of a billion years (something like 200my?). So yes, the number of heavy metallic starsystems should be increasing over time, probably exponentially increasing the probability of life over time.

Maybe you're right about smell/radio. I've only been thinking about this for like 5 minutes. :smile: But doesn't it seem likely that intelligent beings would want to communicate at lightspeed across their own planet at a very low cost? Might they not figure out a way to modulate radio to reproduce smell, just as we modulate radio to reproduce sound?

I really don´t believe that smell communicating beings could probably build a civilization. I only mentioned the possibility in order to dismiss the need for radio.
As an EE I don´t see how anyone could use smell to modulate EM waves.

Digital encoding?

SGT said:
I really don´t believe that smell communicating beings could probably build a civilization. I only mentioned the possibility in order to dismiss the need for radio. As an EE I don´t see how anyone could use smell to modulate EM waves.
None of our senses, including smell, could function at all without modulating EM waves within our brains. Less directly, if it was important to us, we could communicate smells by Morse code; for example: ... is "the letter H" in Morse code, but this could be alternately interpreted as "fishy smell" using a rudimentary smell-a-phone protocol/language.

R Sandyk said:
I present two fully medicated Parkinsonian patients with long standing history of olfactory dysfunction in whom recovery of smell occurred during therapeutic transcranial application of AC pulsed electromagnetic fields (EMFs) in the picotesla flux density...Interestingly, in both patients enhancement of smell perception occurred only during administration of EMFs of 7 Hz frequency...
Sandyk, R. (1999) Treatment with AC pulsed electromagnetic fields improves olfactory function in Parkinson's disease. Int. J. Neurosci., 97,225 -233. http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/external_ref?access_num=000080491600006&link_type=ISI

Last edited:
StuMyers said:
Looking around. :smile:
You must have better eyes than the rest of us. So far, we can't even resolve planets around the nearest stars, let alone life on them.

See the smiley? It was a half-joke, meaning that if the universe is teeming with life, its not doing so such that it's obvious.

radou said:
If intelligent life ever visited us, we wouldn't know, since it is not likely that it would be interested in us at all. :rolleyes:

Let's hope when they do visit us they don't do what humans would do when visiting other civilizations. Kill them all. :mad: Or else we certainly would know if they visited us!

SGT said:
Are you saying that first generation stars could have developed life?

I am saying that we are something like forth or fifth generation stardust.

Really? Cool. How is that determined?

Ivan Seeking said:
I am saying that we are something like forth or fifth generation stardust.

To my knowledge there were no fourth or fifth generation stars 8 billion years prior to the birth of the solar system.

StuMyers said:
Really? Cool. How is that determined?
In the big bang, only the three lightest elements were made: hydrogen, helium, and lithium. First generation stars then formed by gravitational forces acting on these light elements. There was no iron, oxygen, or any other heavy element in existence in the universe before this time.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v440/n7088/abs/nature04807.html

Aether said:
In the big bang, only the three lightest elements were made: hydrogen, helium, and lithium. First generation stars then formed by gravitational forces acting on these light elements. There was no iron, oxygen, or any other heavy element in existence in the universe before this time.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v440/n7088/abs/nature04807.html

Well yes, I understand that. I don't know how it was determined to be fourth or fifth generation.

StuMyers said:
Well yes, I understand that. I don't know how it was determined to be fourth or fifth generation.
Well, I don't know about that part either. :wink:

SGT said:
To my knowledge there were no fourth or fifth generation stars 8 billion years prior to the birth of the solar system.

Sure, there is some limit. The most extreme suggestions that I have heard are a billion years or so. I don't know if this limit is an absolute limit or more of a safe guess. However, it is also possible that we took much longer than needed. AFAIK, there is no evidence to show that we evolved in the least amount of time possible. And we have many known setbacks, such as mass extinctions - including a major bottleneck in the human population in recent history. I think it was supposed to have been around ten thousand years ago.

Just for kicks, in the following Real Player video clip, Dr. Richard Henry - Professor of astrophysics at Johns Hopkins University - suggests it to be most likely that we exist along with civilizations that are tens, or hundreds of millions of years ahead of us, and a very small chance that we would coexist with populations of approximately the same age.
http://play.rbn.com/?url=usanet/usanet/g2demand/scifi/freedomofinfo/richard-henry256k.rm&proto=rtsp
from
http://www.freedomofinfo.org/science.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Sure, there is some limit. The most extreme suggestions that I have heard are a billion years or so.
What does that mean? 4th and 5th generation stars were formed 1 billion years after the Big Bang?
I don't know if this limit is an absolute limit or more of a safe guess. However, it is also possible that we took much longer than needed. AFAIK, there is no evidence to show that we evolved in the least amount of time possible. And we have many known setbacks, such as mass extinctions - including a major bottleneck in the human population in recent history. I think it was supposed to have been around ten thousand years ago.
Well, I think that 4 billion years is a very reasonable amount of time to create an intelligent species.
The mass extinctions were beneficial to our appearance. Without them the great predators would survive, with no chance for smaller predators like the vertebrates initially and mammals hundreds of million years later to flourish.
Big predators don´t need intelligence. They survive and reproduce very well without it.
Just for kicks, in the following Real Player video clip, Dr. Richard Henry - Professor of astrophysics at Johns Hopkins University - suggests it to be most likely that we exist along with civilizations that are tens, or hundreds of millions of years ahead of us, and a very small chance that we would coexist with populations of approximately the same age.
http://play.rbn.com/?url=usanet/usanet/g2demand/scifi/freedomofinfo/richard-henry256k.rm&proto=rtsp
from
http://www.freedomofinfo.org/science.html

I agree with that opinion, provided that technological civilizations don´t extinguish themselves and can last for tens or hundreds of million years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that an intelligent species should last indefinitely. Why only 'tens' of millions of years?

I would also imagine that intelligence or no, life will wind up spreading itself all over the place, adapting to who knows what environment (why not vacuum?), given enough time for it to drift.

I'm sort of puzzled though as to why the universe doesn't look like Times Square, if you get my drift.

maybe/maybe not. Never had an encounter, not holding my breath.