Is there any specific name for a coffee cup handle in mathematics?

In summary: Solid tori are topologically equivalent to their surface (cross product of circles) counterparts. a coffee cup handle is a trivial example of a handle, but in general, the coffee cup handle is just a simple bend in the surface of the coffee cup.
princy
is there any specific name for a coffee cup handle in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org

Torus

maybe a solid torus? a torus is technically a surface formed as a cross product of two circles.

sutupidmath said:
Torus

i think torus is wrong.. is there any name for a bend like structure?

? What do you mean by a "bend like structure". A coffee cup handle and, indeed, the entire coffee cup is topologically equivalent to a "solid" torus.

This is way out of my comfort zone, but aren't the structures described by the OP sometimes called handles? Such as here.

are we going in circles? that's what the OP said.

Yep! Sometimes we call a handle a handle!

i'm curious about the context of the question. a solid handle by itself is contractible and so mathematicians wouldn't bother giving it a name. but we often refer to "handles" when we are attaching them to other spaces. a coffee cup handle would be a 3-handle...if you attached a 3-handle to a solid ball you get a torus. in this context it makes sense to name the "handle". but i would say in general, the coffee cup handle is trivial. anyone agree?

Well, if it is not attached to something, in what sense is it a "handle"?

redbowlover said:
i'm curious about the context of the question. a solid handle by itself is contractible and so mathematicians wouldn't bother giving it a name. but we often refer to "handles" when we are attaching them to other spaces. a coffee cup handle would be a 3-handle...if you attached a 3-handle to a solid ball you get a torus. in this context it makes sense to name the "handle". but i would say in general, the coffee cup handle is trivial. anyone agree?

as mentioned above, technically the torus is 'hollow' the 'filled in' torus you describe is different topologically than [tex]S^1\times S^1[/tex] in that its fundamental group is just Z instead of ZxZ.

Related to Is there any specific name for a coffee cup handle in mathematics?

1. What is the mathematical term for a coffee cup handle?

The mathematical term for a coffee cup handle is "torus".

2. Why is a coffee cup handle referred to as a torus in mathematics?

This is because a torus is a geometric shape that resembles a donut, and a coffee cup handle is a small ring shape that connects the cup to the handle, similar to the hole in a donut.

3. Is there any significance to using the term "torus" for a coffee cup handle in mathematics?

While there is no specific significance to using the term "torus", it is a common shape in mathematics and is often used to describe objects with a similar shape.

4. Are there any other mathematical terms for a coffee cup handle?

Aside from "torus", a coffee cup handle can also be referred to as a "cylinder" or a "loop". However, "torus" is the most commonly used term in mathematics.

5. Is there a reason why the term "torus" is not widely known outside of mathematics?

The term "torus" is a specific mathematical term and may not be commonly known outside of mathematical circles. However, it is sometimes used in popular culture, such as in science fiction or video games, which may increase its familiarity to the general public.