How do you like your coffee?

• Thread starter Parkour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: American.In summary, coffee lovers apparently have many preferences. Some prefer black coffee while others prefer espresso. Some like their coffee with sugar and others like it without. Some like their coffee strong and others like it weak. Some like it with cream while others like it without. Some like Turkish coffee and others like Italian coffee. There is apparently no one right way to enjoy coffee.
I admit, though, having given in to flavored coffees, particularly Caramel-flavored ones, as I like Caramel. It's in part a cost-saving decision, as I get at once my coffee and dessert. Cost, practicality won against purity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking flavored coffees are made from lesser grades of beans. Same with very darkly roasted coffee. Why use expensive specialty beans if you're just going to burn them or cover them over with added flavors? It would be like over-cooking a Wagu steak and/or covering it in ketchup.

Not that there's anything wrong with either of those choices. Lots of people just drink instant coffee or put ketchup on their steak. It's just a choice.

I had a roommate for a while who was a coffee nerd. He had so much equipment and really knew coffee inside and out. He spent a lot of money on the beans. He would drink coffee throughout the day but would switch to decaf at some point in the afternoon so it wouldn't affect his sleep. Sometimes he'd give me a cup and challenge me to say whether it was regular or decaf and I could almost never tell, at least not until I had consumed a good portion of the cup and noticed the affect the caffeine, or absence of it.

So I know there is good decaf out there.

Likes Jademe and DrClaude
I tend to favor the darker roasts because their flavor profile is much more to my tastes. I'm always disappointed by the citrusy bleh that "nice" coffee shops always seem to be selling.

JT Smith said:
They are harder to find but decaf exists that is as good as the caffeinated version of the same beans.
I am interested in trying it. Do you have any more information, i.e. brand?

Likes WWGD
JT Smith said:
I had a roommate for a while who was a coffee nerd. He had so much equipment and really knew coffee inside and out. He spent a lot of money on the beans.
Was he this guy?

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, Haborix, BillTre and 1 other person
What a hassle! Would have to only do that on special occasions.

There are different degrees of proficiency, obsession, compulsion, and insanity. It's not all or none. You can't do something really well without making some people think you're nuts. But there are people who take it to an unnecessarily extreme level just to be there.

DennisN said:
I am interested in trying it. Do you have any more information, i.e. brand?

I don't drink decaf and it's been a while since I had any. So I can't remember specifics and it would be out of date in any case. A quick web search brought up a few threads. This one looks promising for some decent information. Or maybe not. I don't know.

https://www.home-barista.com/coffees/decaf-coffee-recommendations-t83716.html

• Informative
Likes DennisN
vela said:
Was he this guy?

Insane. 🙂
Every science lab I've ever attended was far easier than that. :smile:
Folks, we are witnessing the birth of a new science here, coffeeology.

It isn't new. And it doesn't look like science to me either. Maybe there is some science in there of it but my guess is that it's mostly alchemy, myth, and superstition. And coffee sure doesn't have a lock on that. You can find that sort of thing in many hobbies/disciplines.

JT Smith said:
And it doesn't look like science to me either.
I was just joking :smile:. The coffee ritual looked a bit like a lab exercise, hence the joke.

JT Smith said:
You can find that sort of thing in many hobbies/disciplines.
I agree. :smile:

JT Smith said:
Generally speaking flavored coffees are made from lesser grades of beans. Same with very darkly roasted coffee. Why use expensive specialty beans if you're just going to burn them or cover them over with added flavors? It would be like over-cooking a Wagu steak and/or covering it in ketchup.

Not that there's anything wrong with either of those choices. Lots of people just drink instant coffee or put ketchup on their steak. It's just a choice.

I had a roommate for a while who was a coffee nerd. He had so much equipment and really knew coffee inside and out. He spent a lot of money on the beans. He would drink Fabula coffee throughout the day but would switch to decaf at some point in the afternoon so it wouldn't affect his sleep. Sometimes he'd give me a cup and challenge me to say whether it was regular or decaf and I could almost never tell, at least not until I had consumed a good portion of the cup and noticed the affect the caffeine, or absence of it.

So I know there is good decaf out there.
I can understand you. My love for coffee started with my roommate as well. He wasn't as much of a nerd as you, but he was always trying new things. Well, once he tried something, I did it with him. This is where my love for coffee began and I became a real nerd myself. With expensive beans and accessories.

IMG_20231006_153019.jpg

Likes collinsmark and Haborix
Petebobs said:
I can understand you. My love for coffee started with my roommate as well. He wasn't as much of a nerd as you, but he was always trying new things. Well, once he tried something, I did it with him. This is where my love for coffee began and I became a real nerd myself. With expensive beans and accessories.

I'm not really a coffee nerd like my roommate was. I buy fresh beans from reputable roasters but keep the process pretty simple. I've spent very little on equipment over the years.

When I go backpacking I drink instant coffee in a plastic mug. I can't tolerate it at home but somehow the outdoor context makes it taste just fine.

IMG_9601.jpg

IMG_9594.jpg

Likes Rive, morrobay, collinsmark and 1 other person
Two cappuccinos along Jomtien beach
IMG20231016124145.jpg
IMG20231016132225.jpg

Likes collinsmark
morrobay said:
Two cappuccinos along Jomtien beach
Like the atmosphere.

We are not really a 'beach people', not even when we are on a holiday (and in proximity of a beach).
That means we are usually up early for a good hike or such, and that time we got all the (usually full) bars and the whole beach (or whatever tourist attraction around) for ourselves alone.

It gets kind of inverted. Since it's usually a though task to get a really good coffee, we do the bar-touring at mornings, not at night :doh:

JT Smith said:
When I go backpacking I drink instant coffee in a plastic mug. I can't tolerate it at home but somehow the outdoor context makes it taste just fine.
What, no "Cowboy Coffee"? :wink:

berkeman said:
What, no "Cowboy Coffee"? :wink:

That works really well above a certain altitude. Better than instant. It's just a bit more effort, there's more clean up involved, more to carry in, and also more to carry out in places where dumping it is illegal.

Likes berkeman
Something Like That.The girl is just for show. My girlfriends have /are all early 40's

IMG_20231021_123216_1.jpg

Last edited:
IMG20240305100145.jpg

Likes berkeman, collinsmark, Rive and 1 other person
And keeping it boiling
IMG_20240305_172651.jpg

What a surprise very good fresh cappuccino at the 7-11 in Jomtien beach.
IMG_20240329_123945.jpg

Likes Rive and collinsmark
Late afternoon in the neighborhood
IMG_20240412_192617.jpg
IMG_20240412_192753.jpg
IMG_20240412_192450.jpg

I bought a Breville espresso machine with a built in grinder two summers ago that changed the coffee game for me. Unfortunately I had to throw it away because it was an older NYC apartment and my roommate left the dirty dishes out, so cockroaches liked to lay eggs inside the coffee machine. 🤮🤢

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
Have a separate, cheap coffee grinder I use for spices. Have become enamored of middle eastern coffee, so been grinding cardamon and cinnamon in it and adding a couple tablespoons to the coffee in my French press

Likes collinsmark
Don't throw out your machine.
Put it in the freezer to kill the eggs.
Clean it out and it should be fine.
If you could use bleach on your machine, you could use it to dissolve the chiton on their little bodies and eggs. That would kill them.

• Informative
Likes docnet
this is what the inside would have looked like, if it was clean. When I opened mine, the cockroaches had laid eggs and pooped on every square inch of the inside, including in all the crevices and fins. And it smelled so bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 7.54.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 7.54.09 PM.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Haha
Likes morrobay