Is there an algorithms to determine correct angles

In summary, the algorithm to find the correct value of theta for a given range is to increment the angle by a fixed amount starting at the lowest range value and ending at the highest range value, and to use the sin() and cos() of standard angles when computing theta.
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am struggling with plotting polar graphs manually (without any help of the calculator). My main unresolved issue is with finding correct values of theta in a given range.
For example, I have an equation:
$r = cos(5\theta)$

Homework Equations

and I know that the range I have to work with is [-π/5 , π/5]. Here are the values I get when arbitrary choose values of theta to compute r, then x and y.

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 13.25.18.png

But the problem is that I don't know of any algorithm that I could apply in any such case to choose correct values of theta - here I started with -π/5, took π/6, next π/10, and 0 for the first half.
I suppose there should be some algorithm or rules applicable for such choices.
Please, help me to fill that gap in my knowledge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Increment the angle by fixed amounts starting at the lowest range value and ending at the highest range value . You have to decide what increment is appropriate for your application .

For example we could decide on 0.1 of π/5 as the increment .

Then starting from the lowest range value and incrementing the angle sequentially by 0.1 of π/5 we get :

- π/5 , - 0.9 x π/5 , - 0.8 x π/5 , .... , 0 , 0.1 x π/5 , 0.2 x π/5 , ... , π/5

Note though that it may be easier to get or make some proper polar graph paper and plot results directly rather than convert to Cartesian coordinates .

If you want to do quick plots from memory, you should use the angles inside sin() and cos() whose values you can remember. You should memorize the sin() and cos() of 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°. Pick theta so that you are taking sin() and cos() of those angles.

(The sin() of 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90° is √0/2=0, √1/2=1/2, √2/2, √3/2, √4/2=1. And use √2/2 ≅ 1.414/2 = 0.707 and √3/2 ≅ 1.732/2 = 0.866)

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Increment the angle by fixed amounts starting at the lowest range value and ending at the highest range value . You have to decide what increment is appropriate for your application .

For example we could decide on 0.1 of π/5 as the increment .

Then starting from the lowest range value and incrementing the angle sequentially by 0.1 of π/5 we get :

- π/5 , - 0.9 x π/5 , - 0.8 x π/5 , .... , 0 , 0.1 x π/5 , 0.2 x π/5 , ... , π/5

Note though that it may be easier to get or make some proper polar graph paper and plot results directly rather than convert to Cartesian coordinates .

Thank you very much. I will try to follow your advice, and see where it brings me to. :) As to direct plotting, well, no, I need to do the fundamental cycle first on r theta graph, and then convert to Cartesian; all manually, without any machines. :-)

FactChecker said:
If you want to do quick plots from memory, you should use the angles inside sin() and cos() whose values you can remember. You should memorize the sin() and cos() of 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°. Pick theta so that you are taking sin() and cos() of those angles.

(The sin() of 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90° is √0/2=0, √1/2=1/2, √2/2, √3/2, √4/2=1. And use √2/2 ≅ 1.414/2 = 0.707 and √3/2 ≅ 1.732/2 = 0.866)
Yes, I know all these values pretty well - seems the only topic I definitely don't have issues with. I did try using these "standard" angles, but this is wrong in this case because the range of the given equation is 2π/5. So, I wondered what algorithm should be used that works in all cases.

Vital said:
Yes, I know all these values pretty well - seems the only topic I definitely don't have issues with. I did try using these "standard" angles, but this is wrong in this case because the range of the given equation is 2π/5. So, I wondered what algorithm should be used that works in all cases.
The equation is cos(5θ), so for instance √2/2 = cos(5θ) when 5θ = π/4 or θ = π/20. π/20 is well within the range ±π/4. So you can get a lot of points to plot within the range of ±π/4.

Likes Vital

Related to Is there an algorithms to determine correct angles

1. What is an algorithm?

An algorithm is a set of instructions or steps used to solve a problem or complete a task. It is a fundamental concept in computer science and is used in various fields, including mathematics, engineering, and science.

2. Can algorithms be used to determine correct angles?

Yes, there are algorithms that can be used to determine correct angles. These algorithms use mathematical formulas and principles to calculate and determine the correct angle.

3. How do algorithms determine correct angles?

Algorithms use mathematical principles such as trigonometry, geometry, and calculus to determine correct angles. These principles involve calculations and measurements of various sides and angles of a shape or object.

4. Are there different algorithms for determining different types of angles?

Yes, there are different algorithms for determining different types of angles. For example, there are specific algorithms for calculating angles in triangles, circles, and other geometric shapes.

5. Are algorithms the only way to determine correct angles?

No, there are other ways to determine correct angles, such as using measuring tools like a protractor or a compass. However, algorithms can provide more precise and accurate results compared to manual measurement methods.