Negative radius convention equivalent but not equal?

nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In Wikipedia's description of spherical coordinates, a convention whereby (r,A,B) is equivalent to (-r, -A, pi-B) is presented. It appears that they are not equal, but I guess isomorphic. Wrong?
In
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system
under the heading
"Unique coordinates"
using the convention (r,P,A) =(radial distance, polar angle, azimuthal angle) ("physicist's convention")
we have
(r,P,A) is equivalent to (-r,-P, π-A).
My three dimensional imagination is horrible, and making a little model out of sticks just ended up in a mess, so I look at the cross-sections:
letting r=5, and either reversing the direction of r then rotating, or vice-versa
letting P=0, then (r,P) ≡(-r,-P)
PF image 1.png

and letting A=0, (r,A) ≡(-r,π-A)
PF image 2.png

They do not end up at the same place (if I am drawing these correctly), so either I am doing something wrong or what is meant by equivalent is that the systems will be isomorphic, not necessarily equal. However, I would be glad to be corrected.

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Another approach. Translation of Cartesian and polar coordinates are
[tex]x=r \sin \theta \cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]y=r \sin \theta \sin \phi[/tex]
[tex]z=r \cos \theta[/tex]
We can observe the transformation you say, i.e.
[tex]r\rightarrow -r,\ \theta\rightarrow -\theta,\ \phi\rightarrow \pi-\phi[/tex]
in RHS would / would not change LHS.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
anuttarasammyak, thanks, that simplifies the approach tremendously!
anuttarasammyak said:
Another approach.
My central problem still remains, but now I can state it more succinctly.
Using the conversion above, I get
PF image 3.png

Unless I have made some mistakes, this again does not end up with the original point. So I remain confused. Where am I going wrong?

nomadreid said:
using the convention (r,P,A) =(radial distance, polar angle, azimuthal angle) ("physicist's convention")
we have
(r,P,A) is equivalent to (-r,-P, π-A).
It rather says that ##(-r,-\theta,\phi)## is equivalent to ##(r,\theta,\phi)##.

The original quote is: "It is convenient in many contexts to use negative radial distances, the convention being (− r , − θ , φ) , which is equivalent to ( r , θ , φ ) for any r, θ, and φ.

Moreover , ( r ,− θ , φ ) is equivalent to ( r , θ , φ + 180° ) ."

Elsewhere in the article it states "Nota bene: the physics convention is followed in this article;"

That is, where θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle. I have merely replaced θ by P and φ by A as a mnemonic for "polar" and "Azimuth". Then I put the two equivalences:
(− r , − θ , φ)≡( r , θ , φ ) & ( r ,− θ , φ ) ≡ ( r , θ , φ + 180° )
into the single
( r , θ , φ )≡(− r , − θ , 180°- φ), i.e., (− r , − θ , π- φ)

I had hoped that this was clear, but I apologize if it was not. (I also apologize for the bold font at the beginning of my posts; I do not know why that happens and why I can't get rid of it.)

Now, with my notation explained, perhaps it will be easier to find where I am making a mistake? Thanks for the patience.

nomadreid said:

The original quote is: "It is convenient in many contexts to use negative radial distances, the convention being (− r , − θ , φ) , which is equivalent to ( r , θ , φ ) for any r, θ, and φ.

Moreover , ( r ,− θ , φ ) is equivalent to ( r , θ , φ + 180° ) ."

Elsewhere in the article it states "Nota bene: the physics convention is followed in this article;"

That is, where θ is the polar angle, and φ is the azimuthal angle. I have merely replaced θ by P and φ by A as a mnemonic for "polar" and "Azimuth". Then I put the two equivalences:
(− r , − θ , φ)≡( r , θ , φ ) & ( r ,− θ , φ ) ≡ ( r , θ , φ + 180° )
into the single
( r , θ , φ )≡(− r , − θ , 180°- φ), i.e., (− r , − θ , π- φ)

I had hoped that this was clear, but I apologize if it was not. (I also apologize for the bold font at the beginning of my posts; I do not know why that happens and why I can't get rid of it.)

Now, with my notation explained, perhaps it will be easier to find where I am making a mistake? Thanks for the patience.
Yes, your notation was clear from the beginning. The mistake I see is here: "( r , θ , φ )≡(− r , − θ , 180°- φ)". How do you get this?

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
Unless I have made some mistakes, this again does not end up with the original point. So I remain confused. Where am I going wrong?
You seem all right. We may doubt the description of Wiki.

How about another one

[tex]r \rightarrow -r, \ \theta \rightarrow \pi-\theta, \ \phi\rightarrow \pi+\phi[/tex]

Does it work ?

PS I corrected transformation of ##\phi##.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
You seems all right. How about another one, i.e.
[tex]r\rightarrow -r,\ \theta \rightarrow \pi-\theta,\ \phi\rightarrow -\phi[/tex]
I don't see how they get this: "( r , θ , φ )≡(− r , − θ , 180°- φ)" from this: "(− r , − θ , φ)≡( r , θ , φ )".
?

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Hill. You are right, I have made some elementary mistakes. Mainly misplaced negativee signs. But I am still a bit at a loss.

My first mistake was to trust this answer:
https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...-r-be-negative-in-spherical-coordinate-system

So, backing up, and using Wiki to put the two together
( r , θ , φ )≡ (− r , θ , φ+π)

But then I still seem to be making mistakes, but I am not sure where:

PF image 4.png

Thanks, anuttarasammyak. I'm not sure your version works either

PF image 6.png

Changing the sign of [itex]r[/itex] is one sign change; we need to operate on [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] in order to produce one further sign change in each coordinate.

Consider these two maps:

1. [itex]\alpha \mapsto \alpha + \pi[/itex] is equivalent to [itex](\cos \alpha, \sin \alpha) \mapsto (-\cos \alpha, -\sin \alpha).[/itex]
2. [itex]\alpha \mapsto \pi - \alpha[/itex] is equivalent to [itex](\cos \alpha, \sin \alpha) \mapsto (-\cos \alpha, \sin \alpha)[/itex].

Note that the second maps [itex][0, \pi][/itex] to itself, whereas the first does not. That suggests using the second for [itex]\phi[/itex] and the first for [itex]\theta[/itex]. Hence [tex]
(r, \theta, \phi) \mapsto (-r, \theta + \pi, \pi - \phi)[/tex] should fix [itex](r\sin \phi \cos \theta,r \sin \phi \sin \theta,r\cos \phi)[/itex].

nomadreid said:
Thanks, Hill. You are right, I have made some elementary mistakes. Mainly misplaced negativee signs. But I am still a bit at a loss.

My first mistake was to trust this answer:
https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...-r-be-negative-in-spherical-coordinate-system

So, backing up, and using Wiki to put the two together
( r , θ , φ )≡ (− r , θ , φ+π)

But then I still seem to be making mistakes, but I am not sure where:

View attachment 340276

Thanks, anuttarasammyak. I'm not sure your version works either

View attachment 340279
I think that both sources you've mentioned are mistaken. It looks to me that the following are equivalent:
##(r,\theta,\phi)=(-r, \pi - \theta,\pi+\phi)=(-r,\pi+\theta,\phi)=(r,-\theta,\pi+\phi)##
Please check.

anuttarasammyak said:
How about another one

r→−r, θ→π−θ, ϕ→π+ϕ

Does it work ?
A little explanation. Transformation of angles
[tex]\theta \rightarrow \pi -\theta,\ \phi\rightarrow \pi+\phi[/tex]
make the point on the sphere transffer to the opposite point on the sphere. e.g. North Pole to South Pole.
Regarding it as a vector, multiply -1 to its length brings the point back to the original position.

Last edited:
Out of the four suggestions of Hill and pasmith, I get one which is suitable. The calculations:
PF Image 7.png

PF Image 8.png

So, unless I have made an error in my calculations (always possible), I think I have the solution to my problem. Thanks for all the patience on the part of all!

nomadreid said:
Out of the four suggestions of Hill and pasmith, I get one which is suitable. The calculations:
View attachment 340325

View attachment 340326

So, unless I have made an error in my calculations (always possible), I think I have the solution to my problem. Thanks for all the patience on the part of all!
I think that C is also "yes":
##y'=(-r)sin(\pi +\theta)sin(\phi)=(-r)(-sin(\theta))sin(\phi)=y##.

Likes nomadreid
Oops! Thanks very much, Hill. I don't know how that extra negative got in there. So, wonderful bonus!

Likes Hill

Related to Negative radius convention equivalent but not equal?

What is the negative radius convention equivalent but not equal?

The negative radius convention equivalent but not equal is a concept in mathematics where negative values are used to represent a direction opposite to the positive values. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How is the negative radius convention equivalent but not equal different from traditional positive values?

The negative radius convention equivalent but not equal differs from traditional positive values in that it represents a direction opposite to the positive values. This allows for a more complete description of physical quantities and helps to account for changes in direction.

Can negative radius convention equivalent but not equal values be used in all mathematical calculations?

Yes, negative radius convention equivalent but not equal values can be used in all mathematical calculations. They are simply a different way of representing quantities and do not affect the validity of the calculations.

What are some real-world examples of negative radius convention equivalent but not equal values?

Some real-world examples of negative radius convention equivalent but not equal values include measuring the distance an object moves in the opposite direction, calculating the speed of a car as it slows down, and determining the acceleration of an object as it changes direction.

Why is the negative radius convention equivalent but not equal important in scientific research?

The negative radius convention equivalent but not equal is important in scientific research because it allows for a more complete and accurate description of physical phenomena. By using negative values to represent opposite directions, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.